Circle D 3C T/Converter - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Circle D 3C T/Converter

I would like to here from the people who actually have the Circle D 3C converter in their 2011-14 GT naturally aspirated automatics. How much did it help your 60 ft. and 1/4 mile times? And, how much did it change your off track drivability? I am ready to do this and I want to be sure I get the correct converter for my driving needs. Thanks for your help.

2014 GT 5.0 Premium (Ordered 2/1/2013, received 3/20/2013) 6A - 401A premium trim - Steeda CAI - (Mike Rousch) SCT Dynojet custom tune - Lethal offroad H-pipe - J&M LCA's - BMR relocation brackets - Circle D 5C converter - DSS aluminum drive shaft - front sway bar delete kit - stock mufflers - and a stock 3:15 gear. Best pass so far - 60 ft. 1.577, 1/4 mile e.t. 11.567, mph 117.22.

(Traded in on new 2014)
2011 GT 5.0 Premium - Black - 6M - 3:73 gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
old_goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Fountain View Post
I would like to here from the people who actually have the Circle D 3C converter in their 2011-14 GT naturally aspirated automatics. How much did it help your 60 ft. and 1/4 mile times? And, how much did it change your off track drivability? I am ready to do this and I want to be sure I get the correct converter for my driving needs. Thanks for your help.
I can't answer for the Mustang GT...........or the Circle D converters.......but about converters in general they usually knock about .2 off the 60' times, when used with drag radials. I'm guessing knocking off about .3-.4 off the quarter mile times, however on both cars I had them on, I had them installed with long tube headers and a tune at the same time, so it's hard to actually compare apples against apples.

I had a 2005 GTO with a Vigilante converter and Nitto NT555R drag radials and a 2009 G8 GXP with a Yank converter and Nitto NT05R drag radials.........both cars reacted the same way with the converters. Both converters were 3200 versions.

About daily driving, I really didn't feel much difference, however the gas mileage (HA!) dropped about 2 mpg. Fortunately I buy cars where I could care less about gas mileage.

I'm heavily considering a 3200 converter and long tubes in a year or so.

The one thing the my Pontiacs had that the Mustang is different is that the cost for the Vigilante and Yank was around $750-$800 and it seems the converters for the Mustang GT are several hundred dollars more. I'm not sure about how stout the Vig and Yank were, I'm not sure the number of disc's, etc., but I took both cars to the track and ran the quarter mile >100 times after the converter was installed and never had a hint of a problem. You also need a transmission cooler, however I think the Mustang GT comes with one, or that was what I was told by one of my G8 buddies who moved over to a Mustang GT.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_goat View Post
I can't answer for the Mustang GT...........or the Circle D converters.......but about converters in general they usually knock about .2 off the 60' times, when used with drag radials. I'm guessing knocking off about .3-.4 off the quarter mile times, however on both cars I had them on, I had them installed with long tube headers and a tune at the same time, so it's hard to actually compare apples against apples.

I had a 2005 GTO with a Vigilante converter and Nitto NT555R drag radials and a 2009 G8 GXP with a Yank converter and Nitto NT05R drag radials.........both cars reacted the same way with the converters. Both converters were 3200 versions.

About daily driving, I really didn't feel much difference, however the gas mileage (HA!) dropped about 2 mpg. Fortunately I buy cars where I could care less about gas mileage.

I'm heavily considering a 3200 converter and long tubes in a year or so.

The one thing the my Pontiacs had that the Mustang is different is that the cost for the Vigilante and Yank was around $750-$800 and it seems the converters for the Mustang GT are several hundred dollars more. I'm not sure about how stout the Vig and Yank were, I'm not sure the number of disc's, etc., but I took both cars to the track and ran the quarter mile >100 times after the converter was installed and never had a hint of a problem. You also need a transmission cooler, however I think the Mustang GT comes with one, or that was what I was told by one of my G8 buddies who moved over to a Mustang GT.

Thanks O.G. for sharing your experience. My buddy just installed a 5C converter in his 2014 GT automatic last weekend and he is planning on running it tonight at the drag strip. I plan on being there to see how it runs. Prior to installing the converter he was running pretty much the same times as me with almost the same mods as I have. Next week I will get a chance to drive his car around town to see how radical the 5C is under normal driving conditions. I actually have a 5C still in the box but I am not sure I will be happy with it as my daily driver car. That is why I am trying to get the 3C owners to respond. Circle D says the 3C is the most popular for daily driver cars. But, so far no 3C owners have responded to my thread. Either way, I will decide which way to go in the next week or so.

2014 GT 5.0 Premium (Ordered 2/1/2013, received 3/20/2013) 6A - 401A premium trim - Steeda CAI - (Mike Rousch) SCT Dynojet custom tune - Lethal offroad H-pipe - J&M LCA's - BMR relocation brackets - Circle D 5C converter - DSS aluminum drive shaft - front sway bar delete kit - stock mufflers - and a stock 3:15 gear. Best pass so far - 60 ft. 1.577, 1/4 mile e.t. 11.567, mph 117.22.

(Traded in on new 2014)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Just got home from the strip. My buddy's 2014 GT automatic with the new Circle D 5C converter installed picked up 2/10ths (1.72) on the 60 ft. and 4/10ths (12.08) in the 1/4 mile e.t.. The traction was not very good tonight so he could not make a real hard launch. We feel that a mid 1.50 sixty ft. and a mid 11.80 e.t. in the 1/4 is very possible. That is probably the last time we will try to run at this track. Now that the weather is getting a little cooler we will be doing testing more often. And, at better tracks.

(Traded in on new 2014)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

The thing is that if you have the tune setup correctly, so that at part throttle, as you would be driving around town, the transmission will upshift quickly out of first and second, and will lock the converter early in the third gear application. This way your low speed drivability won't change much from the stock converter operation and slippage will be minimal. Then have the tune set so that at WOT the converter doesn't lock at all in first through third or at least doesn't lock early giving max performance on the strip. This way you get the best converter performance without affecting the daily driving very much.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
The thing is that if you have the tune setup correctly, so that at part throttle, as you would be driving around town, the transmission will upshift quickly out of first and second, and will lock the converter early in the third gear application. This way your low speed drivability won't change much from the stock converter operation and slippage will be minimal. Then have the tune set so that at WOT the converter doesn't lock at all in first through third or at least doesn't lock early giving max performance on the strip. This way you get the best converter performance without affecting the daily driving very much.

Thanks for the information. But, I would still like to here some experiences from someone that actually has a Circle D 3C or even a 5C converter. Thanks again.

(Traded in on new 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in