Strange Clutch Feeling - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Strange Clutch Feeling

Well, an issue that happened during the winter sometimes has come back with the recent 40's and 50's at night it seems. Driving the car around, when the clutch is being slipped taking off in first or going into any gear, and using the clutch, it feels incredibly stair-steppy, vague, and I almost feel a vibration or buzzing during that moment of power-transfer when slipping into gear? Hopefully that makes sense............ My car has been acting like this since I raced it Friday night. It still bangs gears meaning it's not slipping.

Could this be a slave cylinder issue? Hydraulic issue of some sort? Some sort of clutch/clutch line issue?

The clutch acts very VERY vague during this. I'ts like it can't just act normally, like it just isn't a smooth transfer of energy between engine to drivetrain in the act of changing gears.... (wow, really hope this makes sense)!

2002 Mustang GT 5 speed: Mach 1 grille delete, K&N drop-in air filter, 75mm BBK throttle body, ported C&L plenum, UPR upper and lower control arms, KYB shocks/struts, McLeod Super Street Pro clutch kit, AM firewall adjuster, MM clutch quadrant, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Bassani catted x pipe, Flowmaster weld-in 40's, SCT 93 octane Bama tune
SOLD
for...
2013 Mustang GT 6 speed: GT Track Package, 301A Tech Package, JLT Catch Can, GT500 Axleback, Steeda Shifter Bushing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013
PONY Member

Garage
Makes sense to me. My diagnosis, maybe(and i hope in wrong..) the pressure plate forks are damaged.
If so this can explain why it feels like it kinda wants to put up a resistance when to press on the pedal and it feels kinda jumpy and scrapey.
Obviously if the pressure plate forks are bad clutch function will be adversely affected.

At worst it will be that. and since you were racing and i imagine you were putting the clutch to good use it is possible the forks on the plate might have bent due to the sudden release impact.
Take a look under there and see if they seem out of shape.

other possibilities might be a bad clutch cable as you said, maybe the throwout bearing, maybe even the forks on the clutch fork which may have bent just as i speculate the may have happened to the pressure plate.

I experienced the same symptoms as you for about 3 weeks and today (snivel,snivel) my clutch died.
I knew the pressure plate was bad... saw it with my own eyes. It was just a matter of time.

Good luck with yours man.

His -1996 GT- Steeda underdrive pulleys, SR CAI, SR intake spacer, SR adjustable clutch kit, SPEC stage 1 clutch, RAM steel billet flywheel,magnaflow cat back with pipes cut off after muffles( love the sound), Tokhico rear shocks, Tokhico front struts, Smoked Cobra style headlights & white tail lights for good looks.- nickname = Rolling Thunder

Hers - 1998 v6 convertible - dual exhaust, SR CAI nickname = sexy thang
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013
GT Member

Can be from getting brake fluid hot in slave cyl. Try pumping clutch pedal see if fresh fluid can work it's way down there. If you want can take line off at trans then pump pedal to get air out. Give it couple days see what happens see if it works out of it. Remember brakes can do the samething too after day of track.

Hyd clutch can act weird at times I'm still dislike mine in 11GT. My car I should atleast put new fluid in the car then do clutch line upgrade. I like cable clutch like 99, both 04 mach1 and 76 cobraII. Feel like I have more control over the clutch release and engagement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013
Grimace427

When I replaced my clutch line it made a huge improvement in clutch pedal feel. Every time I drive a stock GT the difference is very noticeable so if you ever want to drive mine let me know.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Ok well not sure if its the pressure plate. It did this when the car had less than a thousand miles on it intermittently. The cluth action at the FRICTION POINT feels spongy, like the pedal has a slight vibration at that "catching/friction" point.

I found a thread at svtperformance that talks about the Joe Heck line which is in Grimace'a signature. NOAA National Weather Service. The one guy Torch10th talks about his feeling spongy and I think he has the same issue as me. It does feel like the possible culprit could be some air in the line, so I will try the 10 slow pumps before starting the car until it feels better I guess. My car needs to be looked at for a groaning shock or control arm bushing passenger side front, so ill probably buy this thing and have them install this while they are working on it to warranty the work they did.

2002 Mustang GT 5 speed: Mach 1 grille delete, K&N drop-in air filter, 75mm BBK throttle body, ported C&L plenum, UPR upper and lower control arms, KYB shocks/struts, McLeod Super Street Pro clutch kit, AM firewall adjuster, MM clutch quadrant, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Bassani catted x pipe, Flowmaster weld-in 40's, SCT 93 octane Bama tune
SOLD
for...
2013 Mustang GT 6 speed: GT Track Package, 301A Tech Package, JLT Catch Can, GT500 Axleback, Steeda Shifter Bushing
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Joe Heck Racing Clutch line - SVTPerformance. Oops. That is the link. Lol. I copied and pasted that link to a friend earlier. Pikes peak is about to have two feet of snow fall over the next few days. Crazy. That is what the original link has.

SOLD
for...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013
Grimace427

Here is a better link for the clutch line.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...utch-line.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page