How do you launch? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Cool How do you launch?

I have become a happy owner of '11 GT with 6MT and 3.73 axle. I had some pretty quick cars before but not THAT fast as this boy. Having practiced a couple of runs, I realize that any flooring during 1st gear leads to inevitable wheel spin. Even worse, the previous owner left the car with new but all-season tires (General GMAX2). According to MotorTrend, this car can go 0-60 in just 4.3 sec, but I definitely not even close to this time. I think I'm good with the shifting, but I can't understand what to do with the 1st gear - the wheel spin spoils the acceleration even if just I start harder from idling.

So, how do you launch you Pony from a light? Would be happy to hear advice from experienced owners

P.S. I also will be happy to meet with Mustangers if you live in west Chicago suburbs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Launch from a stoplight?

As in a race type launch?

You DON'T.

Take it to the track, once there you rev to around 3K and let the clutch out as quick as you can without dumping it, then roll into the throttle.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
Apprentice

get some upgraded lower control arms first, then if that doesnt do enough get some custom 19x10 rims and throw some sticky MT et streets on the back..

2014 Sterling Gray Gt 3.73's, MT82 Trans, Forgestar CF5's /w Michelin PSS tires, JLT Carbon fiber CAI, Bama 93R Tune, Borla S Catback, DSS Alum driveshaft, BMR springs, LCA, UCA, UCA mount, Panhard, Panhard brace, LCA Relo brackets, Viking Dbl adj shocks, Strange Adj struts, MGW shifter

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
PONY Member

you have to let the clutch out a little above idle and then roll onto the throttle.

if you just floor it and/or pop the clutch, you will fail.

if rolling onto the throttle after the clutch is out causes wheelspin issues, get better tires.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Launch from a stoplight?

As in a race type launch?

You DON'T.

Take it to the track, once there you rev to around 3K and let the clutch out as quick as you can without dumping it, then roll into the throttle.
I don't know what you mean by a "race type" launch I can accelerate until allowed speed limit (55 + 5 = 60mph) any way I prefer. That's why I'm asking about 0-60, not a 1/4 mile.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
GT Member
S197 Member

First, you buy new tires and lightweight wheels.

Then, you leave from about 2500 with deliberate clutching. No side stepping.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
PONY Member

On the street with any sort of tire that isn't a street radial, just leave at low rpm and roll into the throttle, otherwise it's spin city
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static2k View Post
I don't know what you mean by a "race type" launch I can accelerate until allowed speed limit (55 + 5 = 60mph) any way I prefer. That's why I'm asking about 0-60, not a 1/4 mile.
You can get ticketed for excessive acceleration in most places... The cops around here will track you down for chirping the tires if they hear it.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
Rookie

Like everyone else said. 3k rpm, let the clutch out without dumping then roll on the throttle. If you get excited it won't work.

2011 GT / 6sp / glass roof / 3.73 stock
PONY Member

Luckily, I just let launch control take care of it.

Life is hard, it's harder if your stupid.
John Wayne
GT Member

Quote:

Not to be a smart ass but Illinois 55 means 60? If that’s the case then the 4.3 seconds to 60 must be 4.8 seconds in Illinois…
OK going to leave the politics out of this one…

To launch these cars on street tires is not hard it just, it just takes a lot of practice, for me anyway, and I still don’t own it…
Lots…
You want to do two things,,, not spin the tires and not bog the engine… So… We will talk about tire slippage and not tire spin… OK following me? OK.. Slippage is slightly faster tire rotations then the car is traveling in the same direction. Spin, tire is traveling at a greater amount of speed (rotations) then the object it is pushing\pulling enough to causes heat to make a noise or produce smoke… Got me…
OK…
So to launch you have to slip the clutch enough to cause tire slippage while not bogging the engine and not enough to smoke the clutch as well… Best way to start, go to the most stop light ridden part of town, city whatever you want to call it and just notice the way you leave a stop light, driving as if a police car was behind you… No, not like you just robbed a bank and his lights are on… No, not like you just had a sixer with your buddies.. more like a civilized human being would, nice and smooth… OK get how to release the clutch? Do you have that picture now? Do the same when you drag race with street tires…

Right foot on the gas… holding somewhere close to 2000 RPMS… Left foot on the clutch, level ground no need to hold the brake…
In a synchronized motion right foot goes down left foot comes up… The hardest part, the faster you go at this the more chance you have for tire spin… The slower you go at this the greater chance you have for excessive clutch abuse…
Like I said this technique calls for a lot of practice, once you get it you will have the best 60’ times on street tires and this is a start to your 0 to 60 MPH times…

With a set of slicks it is same technique just higher start RPM and faster foot movements.

Excessive Clutch Slippage
Corvette Z06 - Burnout Fail! - YouTube

This person was too slow with thier left foot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LzYcn4m0GQ

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
Not to be a smart ass but Illinois 55 means 60? If that’s the case then the 4.3 seconds to 60 must be 4.8 seconds in Illinois…
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]OK going to leave the politics out of this one…
Posted limit 55 + the 5mph buffer = 60.

What he stated it that way = unknown.

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
Excessive Clutch Slippage
Corvette Z06 - Burnout Fail! - YouTube
*sniff* *sniff*..... is that friction disk smoke i smell? looks like someone will be purchasing a new clutch....

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
Apprentice

This thread is making Me think, I need to go out to a parking lot and practice again.

One year ago, I learned to drive stick in my mustang. I got pretty good for a noob, but Since then I've only been driving sporadicly. And I've reverted to gas in, then clutch out, instead of the smoothness I once had.

2013 GT black M/T, 3DCarbon GT500 spoiler, Barton short throw shifter, Barton two post bracket, 18x8 charcoal AMR wheels.
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Launch from a light ? I come out easy. Otherwise, its a great smoke and burnout show. But then again, the burnout shows are fun .Sometimes.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page