Yes, major 2 13.33%
Yes, minor 3 20.00%
No issues at all 10 66.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

How many had differential gear problems

I've heard swapping out the differential gears on 2011+ can be tricky. Found a performance shop that has been around awhile and I think they will do a good job.
Just wondering how many people have had an issue after a gear swap, small or large.
If you have had a problem, please give details. Thanks

2011 V6 Kona Blue, MT, 3.55's, airaid cai, 93R tune, BBK shorty headers, 2.5" exhaust, GT axle-backs, BMR rear LCAs, pony package, comfort package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I voted. A minor whine with the 3:73's from day one. Not getting any worse though.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konatown View Post
I've heard swapping out the differential gears on 2011+ can be tricky. Found a performance shop that has been around awhile and I think they will do a good job.
Just wondering how many people have had an issue after a gear swap, small or large.
If you have had a problem, please give details. Thanks
What is tricky about gear swap 8.8 has been in Mustang since 85. Actual that hasn't changed or barely has been center part cast iron part of solid axle. Not much has changed expect for longer tubes, 5 lugs axles, drum to disc brakes, changing to 31 splines from 28 splines in 05. You can get some gear noise no matter how perfect the gear pattern is. Lower gear ratio always seem to make some noise because pinion spins faster

I think most who had actual gear problem started from bearings. Most don't catch it before total failure. I've had 99 GT and 11GT both had side carrier bearings were getting rough. Caught it because rear brakes started to squeak a lot.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013
Apprentice

My stang has about 1,700 miles on it and the clunkyness of the dual driveshaft and whine from the rear end is horrible. I've never driven such a noisey vehicle before. I love my mustang but will be replaceing just about every stock driveline component to try to get rid of all this excessive noise and gear whining

what is the best differential to get for our rear ends? I want a LSD for more traction and will probably throw in a set of forged 3.73 Ford racing gears when I do it..

2014 Sterling Gray Gt 3.73's, MT82 Trans, Forgestar CF5's /w Michelin PSS tires, JLT Carbon fiber CAI, Bama 93R Tune, Borla S Catback, DSS Alum driveshaft, BMR springs, LCA, UCA, UCA mount, Panhard, Panhard brace, LCA Relo brackets, Viking Dbl adj shocks, Strange Adj struts, MGW shifter
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomnymods View Post
My stang has about 1,700 miles on it and the clunkyness of the dual driveshaft and whine from the rear end is horrible. I've never driven such a noisey vehicle before. I love my mustang but will be replaceing just about every stock driveline component to try to get rid of all this excessive noise and gear whining
+1

When I first drove my 2013 GT Premium home from the dealer, I thought: WTF? Clunk-clunk and a sound like a blender on each shift. I checked the web forums and apparently this is normal for a late model Mustang. I am an old school hotrodder so was shocked to find the shifter is not connected to the tranny nowadays. And two-piece driveshafts??? However no whine so far but I'm under 500 miles.

I don't think you get these noises when shifting on a Porsche or BMW with 350-450 hp, but then those cars cost a lot more. So I am living with it for the moment.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Had my gears installed and after a couple hundred miles I haven't noticed any issues or unusual sounds. Just as quiet as stock

2011 V6 Kona Blue, MT, 3.55's, airaid cai, 93R tune, BBK shorty headers, 2.5" exhaust, GT axle-backs, BMR rear LCAs, pony package, comfort package
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013
PONY Member

3.73s. Have had gears replaced three times. Most recently, had the whole axle assembly replaced. Didn't whine until about 500 miles on it. Now it whines worse than ever. It's a no win situation. I've given up.

90 Light Titanium 5.0 LX:The usual bolt ons, '93 Cobras, Saleen Racecraft Suspension

2011 Ford Mustang GT:Brembo, 3.73's, NX Coyote Plate, Boss Manifold, JLT Intake, Bama SCT, Flowmaster Axleback, JBA Offroad X pipe, CS Front Bumper, Roush Black Billet Grill, GT500 Rear Bumper, FRPP K.
410/362 NA
527/529 100 shot
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Clutch pack went at about 10k miles. Fixed under warranty and it's been ok since (25k now) I do have some gear whine, but I have aftermarket lcas, ph and ph brace.....so I expect a bit of it.

2015 Gt with perf pack/Guard Green/MBRP race exhaust/Steeda shifter bracket/ ....... more to come

Originally Posted by cudaman ........
Let's hope you don't have the same problem with your zipper and your fueling rod, should you run into another female in a Camaro that needs genetic gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page