MaxJax auto lift - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

MaxJax auto lift

I've been looking into purchasing a lift for my garage but I am limited to an 8ft ceiling. I looked around and found this MaxJax lift by Dannnar. Does anyone have one? If so please comment on it.

www.maxjaxusa.com

2013 GT Premium, Brembo's, Track Pack, 6MT, Recaro's, Reverse Sensors/Camera, GT500 A/B, BMR Springs, Strange 10-way Adjustables w/GT500 Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, 20" Staggered Vossen CV2's/Nitto Invo's.....BMR UCA/Bracket, BMR LCA's, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets being done soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013
BOSS Member

Garage
You can also find low and medium rise scissor lifts. Bendpak has several models. I have a full height (68.5") scissor lift that I am installing but I also have a shop with high ceilings.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I've looked at the scissor lifts but the one thing that I don't like about them is how they block much of the undercarriage compared to a two post. It would definitely be an easy option.

2013 GT Premium, Brembo's, Track Pack, 6MT, Recaro's, Reverse Sensors/Camera, GT500 A/B, BMR Springs, Strange 10-way Adjustables w/GT500 Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, 20" Staggered Vossen CV2's/Nitto Invo's.....BMR UCA/Bracket, BMR LCA's, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets being done soon.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013
Apprentice

I was in the same situation. My garage has high ceilings, but my doors open over the car at about 8ft. I didn't want to drill into my concrete, and I wanted full access to the undercarriage of the car. I found a good solution in the EZ Car Lift. I've used it for the past year and have had no issues. The drawbacks are it only goes up 26" and it takes about three minutes to reach that being powered by a drill. The upside is I don't have to mess with hydraulics, moving heavy equipment or drilling into my floor. It isn't the best solution if you need to be able to sit under the car. This is strictly to crawl under.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0782.jpg
Views:	2319
Size:	720.8 KB
ID:	269930  

2013 GT Track Pack, Airaid CAI, BBK Throttle Body, Magnaflow Competition Catbacks, Eibach Pro Street S, Whiteline Watts Link, Trucarbon Spoiler, Ford Racing Short Shifter, Hotchkis Sub Frame and K Member Brace, Boss Brake Cooling Ducts, Stop Tech Slotted Rotors, Hawk Race Pads, Shelby Rear Strut Tower Brace, Steeda X Brace, Rear Seat Delete, Stillen Splitter, BAMA Tune.
2012 V6
2006 V6
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOSKER View Post
I was in the same situation. My garage has high ceilings, but my doors open over the car at about 8ft. I didn't want to drill into my concrete, and I wanted full access to the undercarriage of the car. I found a good solution in the EZ Car Lift. I've used it for the past year and have had no issues. The drawbacks are it only goes up 26" and it takes about three minutes to reach that being powered by a drill. The upside is I don't have to mess with hydraulics, moving heavy equipment or drilling into my floor. It isn't the best solution if you need to be able to sit under the car. This is strictly to crawl under.
First off let me say I love the garage floor. I have mine epoxied with grey, white, and blue flakes. Anyhow, so with that lift do you have full access to the middle line of the undercarriage? Like if you were doing full exhaust for example? Also, are the feet fixed or do they come together as the lift rises? This could be a potential option for me. What's the price of this as well?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013
Apprentice

The lift has two small supports that tie the two sides together. They are not very wide and are on the bottom edge away from the car. The feet are fixed. The top part comes together. The lift uses a screw type system so it is very stable and won't lower unexpectedly. I can't remember the price but check out his website (EZ CAR LIFT - FREE-STANDING USE-ANYWHERE CAR LIFT! FAST. SAFE. STRONG.EASY.) Very good quality and customer service. The lift is very low maintenance. The only issue i have now is my suspension is lowered so I have to drive up on some mats that lift the front end an inch or so.

2013 GT Track Pack, Airaid CAI, BBK Throttle Body, Magnaflow Competition Catbacks, Eibach Pro Street S, Whiteline Watts Link, Trucarbon Spoiler, Ford Racing Short Shifter, Hotchkis Sub Frame and K Member Brace, Boss Brake Cooling Ducts, Stop Tech Slotted Rotors, Hawk Race Pads, Shelby Rear Strut Tower Brace, Steeda X Brace, Rear Seat Delete, Stillen Splitter, BAMA Tune.
2012 V6
2006 V6
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
For starters, there are minimum concrete slab thickness and minimum concrete strength requirements for any lift that uses any kind of anchor bolting to it. You'd have to verify that your floor meets - and preferably exceeds by a significant margin - those specs. Failing that they do, or that you cannot determine that they do, you get to chop out a couple of sections of floor and replace with a thicker slab that does meet spec.

My previous day job in engineering involved very much the same kinds of anchor bolting calculations that somebody had to do when writing up the installation instructions for these things, so I've got some idea about lifts. I've also seen first-hand where the matter of locating an anchor bolt too close to a floor seam or crack was about to be ignored by a professional installer on a commercial job.

Concrete failure modes tend to be very sudden, and with little warning. I was normally working with 12" or more of 5000 psi concrete, so just the thought that residential stuff may only be thin slabs of 3000 - 3500 psi concrete gives me the willies here.

I'm not at all against the MaxJax, and it at least appears to be possible that you would not have to disconnect the hydraulics if you plan your lift storage and setup sequence with that in mind.

I'd really like to see the EZ-Lift with better lateral support. Front to back it looks OK, but in the sideways direction I can see some stability issues once the pivot pins wear, if your setup area isn't level side to side, when you're set up outdoors and a wind crosswise to the car picks up, or possibly if you have to really pull hard on a wrench and you're pulling crosswise to the car.

There either is or was a sloping drive-on lift that works with a floor jack to level it after you've driven onto it. Undercar access is somewhat compromised, and the lift height is similar to the EZ-Lift. I think there was something about trolleys being available so you can lift the wheels clear. Forget the name, though.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Norm,

You're referring to the Kwik-Lift I believe. It does limit the underside and also does not suspend the car with the suspension unloaded, which is one of the main reasons I'm looking into a lift. I understand your concern with the concrete conditions and whatnot, and have confirmed I'm within tolerances for proper mounting of the lift. I still think the MaxJax fits my needs better than the above option or the Kwik-Lift. Also, at $1999.99 with free frieght from Costco...It's a deal to be had!

Gonna continue to weigh out my options before pulling the trigger just yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page