Mod-mania and the consequences - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Mod-mania and the consequences

I have truly enjoyed this forum and have learned things and hopefully I have contributed in some way. But I found that the more I participated, the more I wanted to shell out the bucks for the cool mods everyone else was getting. After getting "burned" by the CAI mod, I kinda backed off and started questioning my actions and intent. Like I was ready to shell out $700 for a BORLA axle-back exhaust. Had I kept on, no telling where I would have ended up as far as expenditures. So I have purposely let off on my forum participation....to save the money and be happy with what I have!

It is not my intent to diminish anyone's quest to personalize their Stang. It IS fun!. But certainly not for everyone. I just found myself "caught up" in the frenzied world of creating the coolest machine possible. IMHO my machine as it is currently configured is cool enough for me.

I am totally tickled with my current mods especially the strut tower brace and trailer hitch receiver. I love the FRPP 3.31 differential and 87P tune. HOWEVER, I wish I had left the 2.73's alone. I think I'm f****d come trade-in time.

So thanks guys for my cool mods!

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013
Apprentice
S197 Member

Trade in won't be affected. The dealership is going to rape you, and not ask any questions while they're at it.

Black 2011 V6 - Totaled
Candy red 2012 V6 - Sold
Candy red 2013 V6 PP - SCT tuner with Jon Lund tuning, BBK TB, FRPP Sport Axlebacks, Airaid CAI. SOLDDDDDD
2003 Redfire Terminator - Too many mods to list, SOLDDDDDDD
2012 Yellow Blaze 5.0 - M6, Lund tune, GT500s, O/R H pipe, and some other cool stuff
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013
GT Member

And thats why everyone ask you for a plan before modding. Random mods is just throwing cash in the trash lol

a man's most expensive hobby started with a 97 cent hotwheels

1999 saleen s281sc vert 11k miles #261/421 built 1/170 vert 1/10 exact combo
2000 Roush v6 sport 78k miles

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

OP. It has always cost money to play. You have to ask yourself "what do I really want" " What can I really afford"
and then live with it.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013
Rookie

We all have our own perspective on mods. Most of us have done them at some time. It's your car and your money, so it seems to me to come under the "pursuit of happiness" we all enjoy in this country. That having been said, I am saddend every time I find a moderate to low mileage Cobra for sale that has been molested by too many, or overdone, mods. While the dealer has some advantage and we never get what we want, a stock vehicle is almost always worth more than one that looks like it has been 'hot rodded'. The simple truth is that the dealer can't get as much for the modded ride. Watch the Barrett-Jackson auctions and hear what the knowledgeable commentators have to say on the subject. If you want a more sporty Mustang, get a GT or Cobra. Moderate mileage '99 & '01 Cobras are out there for far less than you paid for a newer Mustang premium. I don't intend to critize what you have done, just offering an alternative perspective. No matter what else, enjoy your ride.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
OP. It has always cost money to play. You have to ask yourself "what do I really want" " What can I really afford"
and then live with it.
^^^^^^^+1

I think the real question is how do you want to enjoy the car? If you idea of enjoyment is to hold it for 15 to 20 years to see if it might be worth more then when it was bought, then I go stock...and drive it very little. If your idea of enjoying the car is "really driving it," then I think a number of "after-market" mods are helpful to that kind of enjoyment. The new cars definitely benefit from an aftermarket tune. The current model ECU's really take the fun out of driving - lots of throttle delay and torque management. Even if you don't gain 1 "peak HP," the car runs completely differently when the throttle delay and torque management are minimized. If you want to drive the car "hard," then some group of suspension mods will really make it more fun to drive - shocks/struts, sway bars etc. For me, I want the real fun of driving it...if I want to collect something, maybe I will take up "stamp collecting"......but I haven't yet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T1a.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	937.2 KB
ID:	269970  

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013
PONY Member

I wanted a cheap car TO MOD, so the v6 fit the bill. Not sure what happened with your CAI, but mine gave solid gains and sounds great too. Combined with everything else my car rocks even more than it did when I first bought it.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

ya know you're getting old when......

Like what the others have mentioned, if you keep a car for less than 5yrs you will be hit big time when selling/trading it. What are your long term goals with this? If you like the car keep it till they take your keys away and do everything to it that you want w/o worrying about it's $ value, just try to get the max enjoyment out of it for you. I don't know your $ situation but if you can having two vehicles is something I'm real glad to have the Stang is for fun, the Tacoma is for practicality. I have the just a bit more $ invested in the two of those what a a premium GT costs, neither one of them has the performance or bells & whistles of that but the truck is a great tool and my little base model V6 is a great toy. The other hint is score your mods used if possible, all I've added came from the classifieds. Since they are improvements (to me) it's not like I needed them immediatley just scan the ads and find what you'ld like at a price you are willing to pay.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by <3_3.7 View Post
Not sure what happened with your CAI, but mine gave solid gains and sounds great too.
I hated the sound of it. The supposed gains were nixed by my hesitating on the gas pedal in dread of its sound. I sold it to a dude in New York who loves it!

MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
GT Member

Adding mods to a car just to Mod it as some people do is what I call ridiculous. Body mods that make it look better are one thing but when you have people adding performance parts on a car that will never see a track that IMO is pointless unless you have plenty of disposable $$. I mod for a purpose, to increase my track times.

Alas the mod bug is addictive and dangerous but so much fun.

Kona Blue 2012 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, AED Tuned, Corbeau CR1 seats with Harness, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs, Strano F/R adjustable sway bars, BMR LCA & PHB, Lethal O/R H, GT500 Axelbacks, Boss Pod w/ Prosport Gauges, Boss/CS F&R facsia'a, Goodridge SS lines, Boss Brake cooling ducts, Boss splitter, Roush side splitters, Saleen Grill. Mustang Dyno 379 HP & 371 TQ
Apprentice

I have modded every vehicle I have ever owned. I have done it for no other reason than purely enjoying having something that is unique to me. Modding has been going on since cars were first made. It is what gear heads and car lovers do. If you are more of a stock guy that is great but if you can't stand the look of stock youhave few options. If your spending money you don't have, for things you don't need, to impress people you don't know, you need to rethink what your doing.

Have a plan day 1. Stick to your goals when buying mods.

2014 Ruby Red GT. Brembo's, Recaro's, 3:73's, FRPP p springs, Airaid CAI, GT 500 axlebacks., tuned by ID-motorsports.com, BBR Billet lower control arms, BMR relocation brackets, BMR adjustable Panhard bar, AMR silver wheels with 255 on the fronts/285's on the rear. more to come.

PONY Member

I mod to personalize and make sound great. It worked out for me. I made it look and sound the way I want and now companies are offering to give me performance parts with steep discounts or for free. I wouldnt have spent this much money on a car if I didnt intend to keep it forever, and I wouldnt continue to spend money on it if I wasn't happy with how it was turning out. I just wish I had this car in High School. On second thought, I'd probably be dead or have a kid by now if I did...

OP, sounds like it just isnt for you. At least you realized it now and not after a supercharger upgrade or something rediculous like that.

2011 GTCS
Officially too many mods to list...
PONY Member

I enjoy doing mods to make the car a little different from everyone else.
I just have a budget and stick with it and don't do anything really crazy.
Some pay big bucks to squeeze every last pony out of their engine. Nothing wrong with that and I'm perfectly happy with 420.
I'll wind up with new wheels and some suspension work down the road but only when the budget allows.

Go with what makes you happy and within your budget.

2014 GHIG GT Premium - Track Pack, Comfort Pack, Rear Camera, GT500 mufflers, Boss 302 Grille with stock fogs.
PONY Member

Why didnt you like the strut tower brace or hitch?

2011 GTCS
Officially too many mods to list...
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

OP and readers: GREAT food for thought. Lesson to be learned: Think before you act....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page