Exhaust: Finally made a decision! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Exhaust: Finally made a decision!

Hey everyone! I'm sitting at the dealer getting my axle back mufflers put in. They want to charge $300 for it though . Seems a bit excessive for axle backs and a ProCal tune. It took me a long time to make a decision, but I went with the Ford Racing Power Pack (FR1-MGTB) for my 2012 GT. I was debating the Borla ATAK, S-Type, and ford racing for a long while before finally choosing. My long term plans include long tube headers and I hear the Borlas can get too agressive with LTs. Anyone have the ford racing with LTs? Are you happy with your set-up?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

$300 to install and axleback and tune? Its a hour job. Unless its for something under warranty you're better off avoiding the dealer, you'll pay a lot less elsewhere.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

I agree 100%. The purpose is to remain under warranty. I was fully prepared to get taken when I made the decision to go to the dealer, however I may have to switch dealers to see if someone else will give me better pricing on future mods. This was after talking them down from $400! . I decided its worth the piece of mind for warranty coverage for a few more years.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

As said. 300.00 in labor costs to install axlebacks is a lot of money, considering it is a relatively easy job that anyone can do, once the car is elevated a foot or so on jack stands, ramps etc. Good luck with your mods, but don't let anyone bamboozle you as to what it takes to put them on. Replacing mufflers on a 2011 and up Mustang doesn't get any easier. And when just replacing mufflers, you do not need to alter the tune. Just my .02

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

I appreciate the feedback. This is my first completely new car, so visitng a dealer for service isn't something I'm used to. I will fight them harder next time and perhaps get some feedback for typical pricing from this forum ahead of time.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I got my A/B installed at my Ford Dealer in Florida for $80.00,45 min job turned out perfect.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013
Apprentice

Longtubes with any axle back is going to be LOUD. That said, I'm a fan of the GT500's with L/T's and O/R H pipe. I think someone on the forum has that setup but I can't recall who. Good luck on the future mods, and maybe post a vid once you get it done?

'11 5.0 SG 6MT Brembo 3.73 Borla S-Type Catback
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013
12Pony5.0

$300 bucks is way too much and did you look at Bassani's? Congrats on your new ride!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

$80 on the low end...$120 on the high

2013 Boss 302
2012 Mustang GT Grabber Blue (sold)
401A, MT82, Brembo, 3.55, HID & Security, Electronics Pkg
Apprentice

Its extremely easy to do. I did mine without putting the car on stands. Just do it yourself, you will thank us later.

2012 Mustang GT Grabber Blue
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Me & a buddy installed mine in my garage in 45 minutes. Turned out perfect.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Dave USAF (Ret)
2013 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, Comfort Pkg., Red Candy, Saddle Leather, 6 MT, 3.31s Build date: 20120808, Purchase date: 20121009, Mods: GT500 Axle Back Exhaust, Steeda Black Shift Knob, Redline Hood Struts
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
I agree 100%. The purpose is to remain under warranty. I was fully prepared to get taken when I made the decision to go to the dealer, however I may have to switch dealers to see if someone else will give me better pricing on future mods. This was after talking them down from $400! . I decided its worth the piece of mind for warranty coverage for a few more years.
Individual dealers don't have say over what is "warrantied." Of course they can tell you they will fix your car under warranty if something blows at their particular shop but if you go to another shop they can refuse you.

What I'm trying to say is individual dealers only control their dealerships. They may fix it under warranty but if you go to another they may refuse. Ultimately it's up to Ford Motor Company. I understand your concern but $300 for labor is the most I've seen yet. I got mine done for $40.

Enjoy your ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
exhaust , ford , mgtb , procal , racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page