need info on Adjusting global spark on SCT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

need info on Adjusting global spark on SCT

Hello , need a little info. I have a 2012 3.7 with auto trans.
Here is the set up I installed 3.31 gears ( which is nice ) and then I installed a SCT can tune. also nice addition. SO I just added a BBK 73MM TB and a CAI. Before I added the TB & CAI I had set the global spark on the SCT to +2 . Now that I have added the TB & CAI . ( I have not drove cause its raining ) but when I rev test it feels like it now has a lag when you first punch it. I experienced the same thing back in the day with my old 5.0 , when I jump to a bigger TB and the cure was timing advance and upping the Fuel pressure . So back to my question I had timing advance at + 2 so I upped it to + 3 , no change so I then lowered it to -3 and cant tell. then back to 0 till I get a answer as to what should I set it at running a 93 oct tune,
Thanks

2012 3.7
75MM TB
CA intake
3.31 rear gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013
Banned

Before you seriously screw something up, get a custom tune. Bama, steeda, lund, mpt, whatever. I recommend mpt. Only $75 will change your car.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

tune

got website I can go to and down load it and pay.
with instruction on how to install on my SCT

2012 3.7
75MM TB
CA intake
3.31 rear gears

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

still need info

Ok I order a MTP tune. Still would like to know were the global advance should be set for a 93 oct tune and a TB with CAI

2012 3.7
75MM TB
CA intake
3.31 rear gears
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013
PONY Member

Unless you are a certified tuner or know 100% what the heck you are dong, I wouldn't mess with those tune options.

The only tune options I would even consider are gear ratio, tire size type calibrations.

The tune you get from MPT will take in account what you have and believe me you will notice a difference with the MPT tune. Be patience and wait for it. It'll be worth it. You really wouldn't have to adjust anything after they send you the tune until you get future mods that require an adjustment.

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013
GT Member

advancing timing comes with detonation which can hurt your motor.. the only time you should be advancing timing is when using higher octane fuels then you are tuned for.

Grabber Blue 2012 V6 6-Speed Procharger P-1SC-1 @ 8psi tuned by Mustang Magic, Tial-Q BOV 3.55 Gears, Spec flywheel, exedy stage-3 clutch, 4in Alum. Driveshaft, Lethal Off-Road X, 12" resonators, 2.5" exhaust all the way back, QTP electric cutouts, GT500 Axlebacks, Barton Shifter, FRPP Strut tower bar, J&M LCA's, Steeda UCA ,CHE adj. panhard bar, FRPP P-Springs...lots of show mods
409/335 on a 98 degree day -- [email protected] - Car has 11's in it!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013
Banned

You're playing with fire even touching those settings buddy... Unless you want to blow something up, get a tune... ANY tune...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013
PONY Member

I don't know much about the 'global spark' but i screw up and had it set at -6. Had a hard time pulling up a small hill. Got home and set the 'global spark' to 0. Perfect, i've tried up to +2 and -2. The best power (for me anyway) is to run the 'global spark' on 0...........

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013
Banned

Yes, I'd also recommend a tuner and to leave the global spark alone. Global spark mean that change is made EVERYWHERE. Under all loads, temps, conditions period. IE:Think of it like base timing on an older car with an adjustable distributor housing. Advancing it there will give a higher base number to add the mechanical advance to.

So lets say you do add 2* everywhere...it's quite possible, even likely, the knock sensors will pick up knock and the pcm will just take that ignition advance back anyway.

There are times when more advance can be used, heads, cams, etc to help make up for a loss of cylinder pressure below peak torque but your engine is way too stock for that concern just yet.

All that said, you have to datalog these things and then a Mustang brand load bearing dyno would be best to go up in 100 rpm increments at a steady state to tweak the whole ignition advance map.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Mpt

I ordered a MPT last night, so when ever I get it we will see. Im sure it will be fine. The only thing that really got me looking at spark advance again is. reading here most people say get a CAI and a TB and it make low and mid range so much better. We what its doing and I had the same back in the day one my old 5.0 is when I added a bigger TB I had a small lag on take off do to so much more air getting in and not matching it with added fuel and timing.
I know these are not the same as the old mustangs. But what helped before was more fuel and bumping up the timing 2 to 3 deg.
Well see if MPT folks program it to add fuel on take off ?

2012 3.7
75MM TB
CA intake
3.31 rear gears
PONY Member

I'm running MPT tunes. You can still adjust the 'global spark'. Mine run the best set a 0. Just saying......

I must add: I don't think advancing the timing 2 degrees like in the old days for more power will work now

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

no I was not really trying for more power with the 2 deg bump in timing . I was trying to get rid of the lag spot when I first punch it.
Its getting the rush of air with the CAI & TB upgrade . drove it today and it drives great , but you can tell right off the line it has a little lag that it did not have before the CAI & TB were installed . Then it pulls hard. I will see what the MPT tune does, they know I added both mods so I hoping they can boost the fuel in to correct the lag.
Thanks for the input. I have reset the spark back to zero.

2012 3.7
75MM TB
CA intake
3.31 rear gears
PONY Member

MPT tunes take most of the lag out. I have an automatic also. I have several tunes from other tuners. The MPT tunes (ghost cam, medium and race. All 93 octane) pull the hardest of them all. I think you will be very happy when you get your tune. My automatic does a good 'bark' when it shifts into 3rd gear. I have new Cooper Zeon RS3-A 255/45-18 tires and still have major traction problems.....but i'm happy about it :yelpleased:

PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadjones99 View Post
no I was not really trying for more power with the 2 deg bump in timing . I was trying to get rid of the lag spot when I first punch it.
Its getting the rush of air with the CAI & TB upgrade . drove it today and it drives great , but you can tell right off the line it has a little lag that it did not have before the CAI & TB were installed . Then it pulls hard. I will see what the MPT tune does, they know I added both mods so I hoping they can boost the fuel in to correct the lag.
Thanks for the input. I have reset the spark back to zero.
Have you tried just doing an idle relearn since you changed the parts out?

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!
PONY Member

I wish someone had access to a dyno, adjust the 'global spark' to different settings to see if power would change. Maybe running it +2 is better? Mine feels better set at 0. Like i said before, i really don't know much about 'global spark'. I searched the internet 3 years ago when i first got my SCT Tuner and couldn't find too much about it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page