What is better ethonal or non ethanol? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Question, if your car is tuned for 91 would you continue to run 91 with 10%E or switchto the 89 pure gas?

a man's most expensive hobby started with a 97 cent hotwheels

1999 saleen s281sc vert 11k miles #261/421 built 1/170 vert 1/10 exact combo
2000 Roush v6 sport 78k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolith View Post
E10 won't affect fuel milage that drastic. Your numbers are made up and ridiculous.
Actually no, they are not made up or ridiculous. My father owns a fuel distribution company, which I work at occasionally, and there have been many tests done by us, and others to show this. We've had a large number of customers trying to switch to ordering gas that contains ethanol and we try to convince them not to because there are so many downsides. So I kind of do know what I'm talking about, and many other people know this, they just don't mind because of the lower price they pay for the gas that contains ethanol.

Black 2011 V6 - Totaled
Candy red 2012 V6 - Sold
Candy red 2013 V6 PP - SCT tuner with Jon Lund tuning, BBK TB, FRPP Sport Axlebacks, Airaid CAI. SOLDDDDDD
2003 Redfire Terminator - Too many mods to list, SOLDDDDDDD
2012 Yellow Blaze 5.0 - M6, Lund tune, GT500s, O/R H pipe, and some other cool stuff
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby2013 View Post
Actually no, they are not made up or ridiculous. My father owns a fuel distribution company, which I work at occasionally, and there have been many tests done by us, and others to show this. We've had a large number of customers trying to switch to ordering gas that contains ethanol and we try to convince them not to because there are so many downsides. So I kind of do know what I'm talking about, and many other people know this, they just don't mind because of the lower price they pay for the gas that contains ethanol.
no you and your father are both wrong. e10 does not hurt fuel economy 10 or 15% if that were the case cars running e85 would burn 85 or 100% more fuel? no they do not. i ran e85 on my car for a while and my mpg did not drop in half and thats with 85% ethanol not 10%. again your numbers are ridiculous...

lastly e85 is awesome and i wish that it was the standard in the us. cheap race gas. and if you switch to 89 or 91 octane fuel to avoid running 93 e10 you are just being a fool. i dont know about the v6 but the 5 liter likes to run alot of timing so the better the fuel the more power it will make.

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.

Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
no you and your father are both wrong. e10 does not hurt fuel economy 10 or 15% if that were the case cars running e85 would burn 85 or 100% more fuel? no they do not. i ran e85 on my car for a while and my mpg did not drop in half and thats with 85% ethanol not 10%. again your numbers are ridiculous...

lastly e85 is awesome and i wish that it was the standard in the us. cheap race gas. and if you switch to 89 or 91 octane fuel to avoid running 93 e10 you are just being a fool. i dont know about the v6 but the 5 liter likes to run alot of timing so the better the fuel the more power it will make.
They are not ridiculous... in this article is someone complaining of 10-15% and they state they normally hear 6-10%. The government sites state 3-5% usually on some of their older stats, but they also want ethanol to be ran so they are going to give out a lower number. The article I gave you was in 2011, the fuels containing ethanol we're seeing now have gone down hill so much it's not even funny compared to 2011. Think what you want, but I work with it all the time and can tell a huge difference.

Black 2011 V6 - Totaled
Candy red 2012 V6 - Sold
Candy red 2013 V6 PP - SCT tuner with Jon Lund tuning, BBK TB, FRPP Sport Axlebacks, Airaid CAI. SOLDDDDDD
2003 Redfire Terminator - Too many mods to list, SOLDDDDDDD
2012 Yellow Blaze 5.0 - M6, Lund tune, GT500s, O/R H pipe, and some other cool stuff
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby2013 View Post
They are not ridiculous... in this article is someone complaining of 10-15% and they state they normally hear 6-10%. The government sites state 3-5% usually on some of their older stats, but they also want ethanol to be ran so they are going to give out a lower number. The article I gave you was in 2011, the fuels containing ethanol we're seeing now have gone down hill so much it's not even funny compared to 2011. Think what you want, but I work with it all the time and can tell a huge difference.
i guess man. you work all you want on it but your numbers are way way off. again does an engine require 85% more fuel with e85? just answer that question and then redo your math.

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
PONY Member

ethanolfrom corn takes more energy to produce than it produces
Apprentice

Quote:
E10 won't affect fuel milage that drastic. Your numbers are made up and ridiculous.
I also saw a similar 10-15% drop. My 2006 Tacoma got 21 mpg like clockwork until they started selling E10 here and it went down to 19 mpg. Wife's 2007 Civic was a solid 30 mpg city car and went down to 27 mpg around town. My Suzuki DL650 averaged 55 mpg and went down to 48 mpg (was able to get it back over 50 mpg running synthetic oil).

All of these were hand calculated at every fill. Ethanol is a joke. It also makes my lawn equipment run poorly. Fuel additive helps that, but it's cheap enough to use that in my lawn equipment when 2 gallons of gas and 1 gallon of premix lasts all spring and summer.

2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPinTX View Post
I also saw a similar 10-15% drop. My 2006 Tacoma got 21 mpg like clockwork until they started selling E10 here and it went down to 19 mpg. Wife's 2007 Civic was a solid 30 mpg city car and went down to 27 mpg around town. My Suzuki DL650 averaged 55 mpg and went down to 48 mpg (was able to get it back over 50 mpg running synthetic oil).

All of these were hand calculated at every fill. Ethanol is a joke. It also makes my lawn equipment run poorly. Fuel additive helps that, but it's cheap enough to use that in my lawn equipment when 2 gallons of gas and 1 gallon of premix lasts all spring and summer.
Not to mention it will tear up small engines that can't handle the added heat. Plus ethanol eats gaskets.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
So...the air you're breathing has carcinogens.

So let's keep adding more to the air and water table with MTBE?

Ethanol is bad for the environment and wastes land that should be producing food, but as a substitute for MTBE it's good

MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
So let's keep adding more to the air and water table with MTBE?

Ethanol is bad for the environment and wastes land that should be producing food, but as a substitute for MTBE it's good

So you're saying that you'd rather have marginally better air quality than more farmland for food crops. Makes perfect sense.

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
Apprentice

Most of what I'd say about ethanol has been well covered, but I will add that making it from our food source is beyond stupid. It's also been proven that corn ethanol is significantly worse and more expensive to make than ethanol from other sources.

2013 V6 6MT w/ tech pkg | Steeda Intake | MPT Tune | Barton Shifter | Blowfish Street Bracket | BBK TB | 18" Charcoal AMR | FRPP 3.55 | BMR LCA | Dynotech 3.5" Driveshaft |
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Not to mention it will tear up small engines that can't handle the added heat. Plus ethanol eats gaskets.

What heat are you talking about? Ethanol burns cooler than gas....

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
This thread is very informative! I like Shell gas V-Power really "Get's my pony rockin", Techron by Chevron help clean my injectors. I don't like the way my Merc Villager van runs after sitting a while with the E10 gas. How we gonna fix this?

2012 Candy Red 3.7 Cyclone {RIP}
2014 3.7 Cyclone DIB\BMR rear lca;s\ American Racing razor 18x9\275/40/18 Yokohama S-drives\Boss 302 strut brace\Airaid "tube"& aFe inverted Dry-S drop-in\UPR catch can\Koni sports\J&M cc plates\DSS 3.5" 1 piece
Bassani\BMR adj. panhard\
MACH I Member

Quote:
What heat are you talking about? Ethanol burns cooler than gas....
Maybe so. But doesn't change the fact that it is corrosive and absorbs water. Water in combustion chamber is bad.

GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Maybe so. But doesn't change the fact that it is corrosive and absorbs water. Water in combustion chamber is bad.

Ethanol is not corrosive. It does attract moisture over time if you let it sit for months but cars usually don't sit for months at a time. The moisture that it absorbs is what causes corrosion. Also water in the cobustion chamber is not bad. Ever heard of water meth injection?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page