Votes: 7 5.2%
  • rather check smiles per gallon

Votes: 8 5.9%

how many of you check your mpg?

6K views 71 replies 53 participants last post by  christy 
#1 ·
Simple poll folks

#2 ·
Every tank by hand. Usually pretty close to what the computer estimates.

G
#9 ·
I reset it along with the miles per tank at every fillup. I look at it, but don't really think about it much.

On road trips however I do try to maximize fuel efficiency and will monitor at fillups(by hand) to see if my efforts are having any positive effects.

#10 ·
I got 28 MPG highway once. :)

#11 ·
I tend to calculate mine out by hand just for giggles, and my onboard MPG readout has always underestimated by a couple. Better that way than the other way around, I suppose!

#40 ·
There is a difference between the normal setting on how many miles you have left on your tank of gas and the mpg it is showing. If you go to the "trip odometer" setting it will tell you how many gallons you have used on this tank of gas (the tank holds 16 gallons) and mine has never been off more than 1/10th of a gallon), and your mpg is on the money each time. Check it with your calculator if you don't believe me. It will not be the same mpg number you get on the normal setting. It also tells you how many minutes and hours you have on that tank of gas. I am not sure if this feature is on all Mustangs or just on the premium models.

#13 ·
I don't really like to look at it to scared.... I mean we did by muscle cars right? Anyways city I get 12-17 and highway 25-34

#15 ·
Never, I`m retired so I don`t care what it gets per mile.groucho.gif

#16 ·
I bought a premium V6 instead of a base V8. Of course I check it!

#17 ·
I'm kind of a stats and data base junkie. I reset at every fill-up, and track MPG, gallons pumped, and cost per gallon using an app in my iPhone. Since taking delivery of the car on the last day of 2011, I've averaged 18.48 MPG overall. Not bad for a GT that's probably driven 70% of the time in town. I only drive about 7000 miles a year so I don't worry about maximizing fuel economy.

IME the Message Center readout is fairly accurate when an entire tankful comprises the same kind of driving (i.e., all city or all highway). For mixed driving, it runs about one MPG lower than my phone app calculates.

#25 ·
I dot he same thing using the "Road Trip App" So far I am averaging 23.5mpg since I started using the app June 2012. almost 20,000 miles and I am always impressed. I recently got 26.20 on a mixed driving tank (yep mostly highway)

I have always monitored my mpg, always a calculated method and have kept a "log" in the glove box. The trip computer now reads about .5mpg lower than a calculated method, but it would still work great just to monitor and changes.

I actually keep the MPG on the car, it keeps my cheap azz in control of the right foot, and obviously works! Although you have to run it every once in while. The MPG does not keep me from enjoying the ride.

#20 ·
I always check mine. Last road trip I did vary the speed just to see how much difference it makes. Even dropping down from 72 to 70 mpg makes a difference. Usually at 72 mph I get 22-24 mpg, but that with just over 500 hp to the rear.
Dave

#21 ·
I run a rolling average over the life of my cars. I never reset it.

#23 ·
I bought a Mustang for pure pleasure (not a daily driver)clapping.gif and use very pony I can squeeze out of the engine. I couldn't care less about gas milage.

#24 ·
Shoot, I calculate about everything - MPG every fill-up, Ave-MPG/Month/Yr.(Actual), Ave-MPG/Month/Yr.(Computer), Cost/Month/Yr. It's interesting to see how much it all costs!

#26 ·
I had a 2011 Mustang V6 vert for a couple of years. Then I traded it for a 2013 Mustang GT vert. I have tracked the gas mileage by hand for both. Of course, the V6 was a little better in MPG - and still fun to drive. The biggest difference is on highway miles (V6 much better) - and I don't drive many highway miles.
2011 Mustang V6 Average for 21,100 miles........23.80 MPG

2013 GT V8 Average for 17,080 miles................22.37 MPG

Attachments

#27 ·
I have tracked MPG for just about every tank of fuel pumped in the last 25 years, and fuel pumped into my 2011 Mustang GT is no exception (it is hard not to think about the MPG when it is on the dash every time the car is turned on).

My Mustang celebrated the end of its 3 year bumper to bumper warranty yesterday, with 30,638 miles on the odometer, and a lifetime average MPG of 27.03123 MPG (U.S. gallons). It has returned a crazy high average of 31.387 MPG on a 3,123 mile drive, a best one tank average of 32.29 MPG for 466 miles, and a worst tank of 22.88 MPG. I estimate that it would be achieving somewhere between 20 and 22 if just driven to and from work.

I still have trouble believing that it is achieving better than 18 MPG - roughly what I expected when I ordered the car. The MPG gauge on the dash is 6.7% lower than the hand calculated actual MPG in my Mustang.

#29 ·
Hand calculated and logged every fill. Always better than the computer by about 5%. I've only seen the underside of 20 mpg once, after installing my cai and retuning when I drove like a loon for an entire tank. I typically average about 22 mpg in mostly suburban driving. Not bad for a V6 with 3.31:1 rear end and manual.

#30 ·
Hand calculate every fill. Tanks with a lot of hwy miles the computer is usually within .5 mpg, on the low side. However with my normal driving which is a short 6 miles to work, mostly between lights, it tends to be about 1.1mpg lower than what hand calculate shows.

#31 ·
I follow using the trip computer. Close enough for me as I bought it to drive it, not for it's gas mileage. And I drive it pretty hard. May check out one of the phone apps for kicks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.