Calipers - To cover or replace - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Yeah, pretty sure the AM ones are aluminum. Had them over the winter, painted them when I got warm out. Definitely notice a difference in brake dust...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
If you don't "track" your car, then the caliper paint is fine. If you do "track" it, then the caliper paint will turn dark and "flake" due to the very high heat of the calipers if you are "hard breaking" on a road course (I did that on my 2011 Mustang V6). For my 2013 GT I got the silver MGP caliper covers. They are very well made and are much easier to clean then the painted calipers.......putting bigger calipers on to get "red" is extreme. Then you need new wheels to fit over the calipers...and then new tires for the wheels....etc. etc.

The MGP covers are heavy aluminum. They act as a "heat sink" for the caliper and dissipate heat across their large area. I have never heard of "plastic" covers. I doubt any plastic would stand up to the heat of the caliper under heavy braking, like I was doing on the "road course" last weekend.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
PONY Member

Ordered some custom covers in matte black with silver lettering that say "mustang" and "GT/CS". They ship out at the end of the month so I'll post as soon as I get them on.

2011 GTCS
Officially too many mods to list...

GT Member

i think theyre great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130504_095208.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	715.1 KB
ID:	277545   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130504_095232.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	664.0 KB
ID:	277553  

a man's most expensive hobby started with a 97 cent hotwheels

1999 saleen s281sc vert 11k miles #261/421 built 1/170 vert 1/10 exact combo
2000 Roush v6 sport 78k miles
Apprentice

Caliper covers have to be the single most ridiculous and over priced mod I've seen. +1 for paint if you just can't stand the look of calipers as they are.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
PONY Member

No more rediculous or overpriced than a carbon fiber radiator shroud or manifold cover or tape on hood scoops or side scoops or window louvers. All those cost about the same if not more, and are only for aesthetic value. At least the caliper covers reduce corrosive brake dust on our nice rims.

2011 GTCS
PONY Member

Just got the image for my custom covers. I think they look great!

2011 GTCS
Rookie

If you don't care for the graphics on the covers, you could always sand them down and paint them whatever color you like.

Dark gray would be cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page