Trickle charger/maintainer - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

I had always used a Battery Tender on my Subaru in the wintertime, since it didn't get driven much, and many of my wintertime trips were too short to fully charge the battery. Without it, my radio would keep losing its presets when the battery voltage dropped below a certain level.

Now that I have a new Mustang, I had been planning to use a Battery Tender on it as well, though I wonder if it is necessary since the Mustang seems to have a better battery. Paul W.'s idea to wire a quick-disconnector to the front grille is a good one, and I'll probably do that.

2014 Mustang GT Premium
5.0L V8, 6-speed manual, 3.73 axle
Mods listed in profile.
Ordered 2 June 2013 | Delivered 15 August 2013.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

I've not used any maintainer, etc on my battery.
Have about 58,000 on the original battery and also brake pads/rotors and it's a daily driver unless I go on vacation.

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul W. View Post
I snipped off the alligator clips that come on the charger and hard wired a quick disconnect outside the front grill so I don't have to open the hood to hook up the charger. Easy.
You inspired me to go do do this on my 2014 GT today, with my Battery Tender.

I figure that one of the honeycomb holes in the lower front grille would be a good spot for the terminal connector to sit, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a good way to permanently mount it there so that it will be secure (i.e., so that it will stay put every time I push the connector onto it, and when I pull it off when I'm done charging), yet be relatively inconspicuous. I think it would have to project past the grille by half an inch or so, for the terminal to be fully accessible and still be able to cover it with its cap when it's not in use.

How did you attach yours, Paul, or does anybody else have any ideas?

I'm wondering if it would work to cut a block of rubber the size of one of those honeycomb holes, and then cut a hole in the center of the block for the connector. Then I could just wedge the rubber block into the honeycomb hole. It would block a tiny bit or air flow to the radiator, but I imagine not enough to cause any problems.

2014 Mustang GT Premium
5.0L V8, 6-speed manual, 3.73 axle
Mods listed in profile.
Ordered 2 June 2013 | Delivered 15 August 2013.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lup1024 View Post
Great point...attached the following article which supports your statement. I actually have a battery tender to be more specific.
Thanks.

Trickle chargers vs. battery tenders: what's the difference? - The Globe and Mail
Maintainer, tender, all the same thing, just no trickle chargers unless you only leave it on for a few hours.

GT Member

Your right on that a trickle charger is a no no for long periods of time. I was confused as my charger has 3 functions charge, trickle charge, and maintain. Its a sears and I have had it a long time. I guess now a days you have to buy seperate equipment for the function you need.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusman59 View Post
Your right on that a trickle charger is a no no for long periods of time. I was confused as my charger has 3 functions charge, trickle charge, and maintain. Its a sears and I have had it a long time. I guess now a days you have to buy seperate equipment for the function you need.
My charger also has a separate functions for regular charging and one for maintenance, and also a fast charge, so no need to buy different units.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
NEVER, NEVER use a trickle charger for battery maintenance.

A battery maintainer is the only proper device to use on a stored cars battery to maintain the charge. A maintainer uses a "float" charge that acts like the alternator on the car, charges the battery to the proper level and then cuts off until the level drops down and then starts charging again to bring the level back up.

On the other hand, a "trickle" charger charges constantly at a low level. If you leave it on the battery for long enough it will boil all the fluid out of the battery and destroy it.
I wonder if some folks might equate a trickle charger and a battery maintainer as one and the same. You very clearly point out the difference.

I do keep a maintainer on my car that is stored during the winter to keep the battery charged and all the electronics set. Starts right up every Spring. Wouldn't go without one.

2011 GT Premium 6M convertible. Sterling Gray w/401A package, charcoal seats w/grabber blue stripe. Security package. Roush front fascia, splitter and rear wing. Black bullit wheels with 18x9 front, 18x10 rear. FRPP suspension. FRPP x-pipe. Roush axle-back exhaust w/square tips. JLT carbon fiber CAI with custom tune. Carbon fiber engine cover & coil pack covers.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

just a suggestion for some of the cheap guys like me. I have an small old charger (maybe 2 amp?) that I hook up for a few hours 1x a month when I store mine for the winter. If you already own something like this you'll be good. I've been storing various vehicles for years and it works for me. As mentioned do NOT overcharge your battery!

side note: I've started removing the fuel pump relay when starting in spring to give the car two 10 second crank intervals when 1st starting under the theory (sp?) of getting oil circulating before the engine sees real ignition. What does the hive think?

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
just a suggestion for some of the cheap guys like me. I have an small old charger (maybe 2 amp?) that I hook up for a few hours 1x a month when I store mine for the winter. If you already own something like this you'll be good. I've been storing various vehicles for years and it works for me. As mentioned do NOT overcharge your battery!

side note: I've started removing the fuel pump relay when starting in spring to give the car two 10 second crank intervals when 1st starting under the theory (sp?) of getting oil circulating before the engine sees real ignition. What does the hive think?
Using a small charger like that is okay, my problem with doing that is that invariably, I would forget to disconnect it after a few hours.

And yes, after a motor has been sitting for an extended period, it is a good idea to let the motor crank over for a short time without starting to get the oil up to the top end.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page