does this make and sence to do? to do? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

does this make and sence to do? to do?

I'm not likely going to ever do a CAI for many reasons that I already mentioned in other threads. So since the stock mustang 2013 already has a CAI I was thinking to just get a better breathing air filter like a k&n or other better breathng filter. The main question is would it be worth doing a larger diameter throttle body on the stock air intake? Can I expect to see any HP gains doing the above? How about better engine/exhaust sound? Lastly, does this require a tune and could this void the warranty?

2013 V6 Mustang Automatic with the following mods: Roush Hood scoop, 3M Clear braw paint protector, MRT rear window louvers, 3M scotchprint carbon fiber roof wing decklid and scoop, strut tower brace, FRPP axleback exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Well any mods to increase the air going into the engine requires a tune. So if the stock tube is optimized to flow air for the stock TB then if you put a larger TB then your just defeating the purpose of the larger TB. So larger TB then you need a CAI and Tune.

As for the exhaust noise, it may change slightly if at all. you would have to change you pipes or Axel back.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013
Apprentice

CAI and Tune covered if you do this...

Putting on a CAI and tune is real easy, however, depending on your Ford Dealership; if you have them install it it will be covered under the warrant. I bought my GT from Ken Grody Ford here in Buena Park and that put on the CAI, Steeda Tune and FRPP Cat Backs. I still have a FULL warranty. That would be the way to go. It might cost a little more (Labor), however, to have a full warranty for bolt on mods is awesome.

Again, all this would be entirely up to the Ford Dealer you are dealing with.

FYI

CJ
2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack, FRPP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton 2-Post Short Throw Shifter, Eibach Pro Springs, A&M Panhard Rod, Steeda CAI & Tune
Save the Manuals!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I would not expect any gain at all from a bigger throttle body on an otherwise stock car.

The freer-flowing air filter element might provide some small gains, but I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference.

For exhaust note, go with a set of axle backs, no worries about the warranty there.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakaz1961 View Post
Putting on a CAI and tune is real easy, however, depending on your Ford Dealership; if you have them install it it will be covered under the warrant. I bought my GT from Ken Grody Ford here in Buena Park and that put on the CAI, Steeda Tune and FRPP Cat Backs. I still have a FULL warranty. That would be the way to go. It might cost a little more (Labor), however, to have a full warranty for bolt on mods is awesome.

Again, all this would be entirely up to the Ford Dealer you are dealing with.

FYI

well I purchased the car to work on it myself. but thanks for the heads up. i'll have to think about that one...

question? did they do the steeda tune for you? I was under the impression that a tune would void parts of the warranty.

I may just have to wait out the warranty then start modding it. Its already got an axleback and strut tower brace. AND... looks nothing like stock with all the appearance mods already performed. I'm going to try and post some pics soon.

2013 V6 Mustang Automatic with the following mods: Roush Hood scoop, 3M Clear braw paint protector, MRT rear window louvers, 3M scotchprint carbon fiber roof wing decklid and scoop, strut tower brace, FRPP axleback exhaust.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

OP. If you are the least bit concerned about warranty issues. Leave your car alone. An air filter change, as well as a throttle body may give you some gains, but they wont transform your car into a pro mod.
sounds like you want performance, but are concerned about warranties.
There is no free lunch. Air cleaner and throttle body modifications will net you some power gains. And may present problems at the dealer should you need to take the car in.
It is an entirely personal decision whether or not you chose to mod.
the mods you have mentioned will give you a limited power increase. it is up to you, to weigh out the consequences.
In my case, I was willing to forfeit the warranty, to get, what I wanted. Not everyone has that inclination.
So my advice to you is , enjoy your car for what it is. And when and if you decide to seriously mod it, forget about warranties. Because one you decide to cross the line, there is no turning back.

So,to make a long story short. lower restriction air cleaner, bigger throttle body = miniscule increases. On a stock, motor.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
OP. If you are the least bit concerned about warranty issues. Leave your car alone. An air filter change, as well as a throttle body may give you some gains, but they wont transform your car into a pro mod.
sounds like you want performance, but are concerned about warranties.
There is no free lunch. Air cleaner and throttle body modifications will net you some power gains. And may present problems at the dealer should you need to take the car in.
It is an entirely personal decision whether or not you chose to mod.
the mods you have mentioned will give you a limited power increase. it is up to you, to weigh out the consequences.
In my case, I was willing to forfeit the warranty, to get, what I wanted. Not everyone has that inclination.
So my advice to you is , enjoy your car for what it is. And when and if you decide to seriously mod it, forget about warranties. Because one you decide to cross the line, there is no turning back.

So,to make a long story short. lower restriction air cleaner, bigger throttle body = miniscule increases. On a stock, motor.
That's about right... would love to mod it now but I'm not ready to give up wsrrsnty ona 3500 mile car just yet. ill have to just wait.

Seems silly that ford doesn't allow sertain warranties and that it vaties between one dealer and the next. Seems like if you do simple bolt on stuff and tunes that they should approve some.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

.testing signature only

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
does this make and sence to do? to do?
No, doesn't make "sence" but it might make "sense"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimeron2013 View Post
I'm not likely going to ever do a CAI for many reasons that I already mentioned in other threads. So since the stock mustang 2013 already has a CAI I was thinking to just get a better breathing air filter like a k&n or other better breathng filter. The main question is would it be worth doing a larger diameter throttle body on the stock air intake? Can I expect to see any HP gains doing the above? How about better engine/exhaust sound? Lastly, does this require a tune and could this void the warranty?
There have been quite a few reports that the K&N replacement filter for the stock airbox adds absolutely no power and a few reports of losses of 1-3 HP, but that small of a difference is within the margin of error of any dyno so the K&N is basically a wash HP-wise.

What you do for sure get with a K&N, or any washable filter, is a filter for life, they last forever, just wash and re-oil and use it again and again.
_

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Unless you have a very hostile relationship with your dealer, I wouldn't worry that much about your warranty. Obviously, he won't warrant aftermarket parts, so you won't have a Ford warranty on your CAI/TB, but the warranty (by law) would still apply to the rest of the car.
Having a Ford dealer install the parts does NOT mean Ford will warrant them. It simply means the dealer will honor the parts' warranty, and will cover his own labor. ANY shop will do that.
As always, if an aftermarket part (or its installation) CAUSES damage, Ford does not have to cover that damage. If the dealer cannot PROVE that happened, or that any other external cause force caused a problem, Ford will cover it. Think of it like a tire- if you hit a curb at speed and blow your tire, is that the tire's fault?
PONY Member

thread title hurt my brain...
GT Member

More Air, More Fuel, More Power.... BOOOOOM HP

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
Apprentice

From what I've seen, a tune is the best place to start if you don't have one already.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page