MGW shifter install completed - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace72ace View Post
Get a friend to help hand you tools and um, beverages... and save your money. Put the money saved towards ordering a shift ball if you only have the standard leather covered 'thumb' knob. Did mine on jack stands. Watch the vids and take your time.

How to install your MGW MT-82 Shifter & Heat Shield

my driveway has a pretty insane slope to it so it'd have to be done in the garage
lol my garage has a ton of fish tanks in there for my business but i guess i could move one out of the way if you guys really think a 300lb 6' fat guy could slip underneathe without getting crushed to death,lol
yea might be worth the trouble to save 200.00 being that money doesnt grow on trees these days..

2014 Sterling Gray Gt 3.73's, MT82 Trans, Forgestar CF5's /w Michelin PSS tires, JLT Carbon fiber CAI, Bama 93R Tune, Borla S Catback, DSS Alum driveshaft, BMR springs, LCA, UCA, UCA mount, Panhard, Panhard brace, LCA Relo brackets, Viking Dbl adj shocks, Strange Adj struts, MGW shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

Ordered one this morning. Didn't have too many issues with the stock one, but figured I'd give the MGW a try.

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomnymods View Post
my driveway has a pretty insane slope to it so it'd have to be done in the garage
lol my garage has a ton of fish tanks in there for my business but i guess i could move one out of the way if you guys really think a 300lb 6' fat guy could slip underneathe without getting crushed to death,lol
yea might be worth the trouble to save 200.00 being that money doesnt grow on trees these days..
Big gut aside (har har) you can do it. It's worth it to move junk out of the way to perform the install on a safe, level surface. Btw, it's totally worth it to have 4 jack stands to raise up the whole car, not just the front so you have plenty of clearance. ANYONE with middle of the road mechanical skills can do this job by themselves with basic tools and enough time and patience.

On the other hand, 220$ is a fair estimate for 2-2.5 hrs of labor for a qualified mechanic that will stand behind their work if you are uncomfortable performing it yourself. There are plenty of youtube vids out there, have a look and do what is best for you.

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCue View Post
Ordered one this morning. Didn't have too many issues with the stock one, but figured I'd give the MGW a try.
I'm a bona-fide MGW koolaid drinker. Worth every penny, and you'll be revving your engine a bit higher to row through the gears afterwards. It will be VERY stiff the first 500 or so miles, but gets way better over time. When I first installed mine, I would row through all the gears many times while warming up the car, and even put it into reverse every 3 iterations.

Do NOT succumb to the temptation to leave out one of the metal inserts in one of the centering springs (assuming the design is still the same as last year - I know they have updated it). I took the advice that came with the instructions and am very glad that I did. I'm taking a mulligan if the updated design modification makes this advice obsolete/meaningless.

Let it break in and then see if it's just too stiff that you are willing to take it apart and modify it.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Its is still recommended to use the top and bottom inserts. I believe the spring you are refering to is the reverse return spring. And yes it is a little stiff right now but like you said, I am sure it will get better with time.

2012 GT 5.0 Ingot Silver 6M,401A, RR sensing sys/security pkg.,19" painted alum wheels,GT coupe accessory Pkg 5, Ford Racing SVT Sport axle-back mufflers w/o resonators, MGW shifter, Airaid cai/Steeda 93 tune, Boss quad exhaust.

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Yeah, that's it, couldn't remember what it was called. One of the few mods you can do that just gets better with age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page