Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2011-2014 Mustang Talk (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-talk/)
-   -   MGW shifter install completed (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-talk/574785-mgw-shifter-install-completed.html)

SilverStangRider 10-20-2013 03:26 PM

MGW shifter install completed

Ok everyone I know there has been many threads on the MGW shifter. But anyone still on the fence on which shifter to get all I can honestly say is with out a doubt this shifter is for real.

I had my install done by George at MGW, you could tell that he had done a few as it only took him just over a hour. The only problem during the install was a few small weld burrs on top of the shitfer linkage that had to be filed down.(So for those of you doing your own install keep an eye out for those). The people at MGW are just fanstastic. For those of you awaiting your shifter I saw about 30 of them in there boxes awaiting shipping.:winks

So my first impression as I ran through the gears was the firmness of the shifter no sloppiness at all you diffently knew when you were in gear as it click into each gear.

As I got on the road everything was as advertised all gears were smooth no miss shifts at all. It did take a little use of the shorter throw. It was nice to be able to throw it into second in a turn with no problem and to slam into gear at higher rpms with out fear of breaking the shifter.

For all of you on this forum that have expressed your experience with the shifter I thank you for helping make my choice.:bigthumbsup

[email protected] 10-20-2013 05:33 PM

Congrats. This is definitely on my list of wants.

RoboStang 10-20-2013 05:43 PM

One of the best mods I made, for sure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

csamsh 10-20-2013 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Put it together with the Whiteline shifter bushing insert and you'll ALMOST forget it's a remote shifter!

Not the Stig 10-20-2013 07:38 PM

I've been looking at different shifters and have a few questions about the MGW.

Does the $390 price come with everything needed to replace the OEM shifter? I.e. The two post bracket or similar to replace the crappy factory bracket or is that something I need to buy separately?

MGW did the install at their shop in Augusta? Was there a charge for the install?

How long was the wait time to receive your shifter?

Is there a noticeable increase in NVH with this shifter? My Mustang will be my daily driver and as much as I want the best shifter available, I don't want a big increase in cockpit noise just to have it.

Is the height of the MGW shifter the same as the OEM shifter?

SilverStangRider 10-20-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not the Stig (Post 5290857)

Does the $390 price come with everything needed to replace the OEM shifter? I.e. The two post bracket or similar to replace the crappy factory bracket or is that something I need to buy separately?

MGW did the install at their shop in Augusta? Was there a charge for the install?

Is there a noticeable increase in NVH with this shifter? My Mustang will be my daily driver and as much as I want the best shifter available, I don't want a big increase in cockpit noise just to have it.

The install is free at there shop in Augusta.

I recieved the shifter in a week but they held on to it until I could get there for the install.

There is no noticeable increase in NVH but you do hear the shifts go into gear.:)

And yes the MGW is the same height.

SilverStangRider 10-20-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not the Stig (Post 5290857)

Yes the 390.00 is just the shifter if you want the ball and colller it is about 50.00 more. also tell them about this forum and they will give you a 5 percent discount.

also it is well worth the short drive for you to go there.:)

Not the Stig 10-20-2013 09:13 PM

Thanks for the replies SilverStang, I will be picking up my 2013 GT on Wednesday and this will be probably be the first mod I do.

ace72ace 10-20-2013 10:24 PM

You won't regret it and it's easy enough to do yourself. Worth every cent.

toomnymods 10-21-2013 08:53 AM

one of those 30 boxes are for me :) I ordered mine last week and its supposedly waiting on the last part from heat treating to return for shipment later this week :) happyfeet.gif

how hard is this mod to do if your fat, and don't have a floor lift?? has anyone attempted this on jackstands? my local mechanic wants 220.00 in labor to do it..

SilverStangRider 10-21-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toomnymods (Post 5292937)
one of those 30 boxes are for me :) I ordered mine last week and its supposedly waiting on the last part from heat treating to return for shipment later this week :) happyfeet.gif

how hard is this mod to do if your fat, and don't have a floor lift?? has anyone attempted this on jackstands? my local mechanic wants 220.00 in labor to do it..

I am sure you will be very happy when you get it and install it. I am not to sure about installing it myself as I went to MGW and had it installed for free. But what I have read here on the forum is that many people have installed there own with just jackstands so it has been done. Good luck and enjoy.

Black Fire 10-21-2013 10:59 AM

Did mine in the driveway on jack stands. Took my time and was done in about 2 hours.
hardest part is wrangling the shifter boot in place.
And I will agree with the rest, "MGW is the best money spent on this car".

billabongrob 10-21-2013 01:50 PM

This weekend at my first DE event, I told my team lead I would like to row through the gears in his 2013 Boss with the MGW installed. To my surprise and delight, he told me to take it out for a parade lap. The MGW is a masterpiece. I don't know if I would enjoy it as much on the street, but I think it would be very beneficial on the track on high speed turns. Less worry about which gear you're going into and more focus on the road.

Liv4spd 10-21-2013 04:47 PM

Installed mine myself. No NVH at all.

The shifter is very tight at the beginning. It feels much better after about 300 miles.

ace72ace 10-22-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toomnymods (Post 5292937)

Get a friend to help hand you tools and um, beverages... and save your money. Put the money saved towards ordering a shift ball if you only have the standard leather covered 'thumb' knob. Did mine on jack stands. Watch the vids and take your time. thumbsup3.gif

How to install your MGW MT-82 Shifter & Heat Shield