2010-2012 vs 2013 Ford Faux Fuel Gas Cap Emblem differences - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

2010-2012 vs 2013 Ford Faux Fuel Gas Cap Emblem differences

Hello,

Will 2010-2012 Mustang rear Faux Fuel Gas Cap Emblem fit on to 2013 model ? Are any size or shape differences between them?

2013 Ford Mustang V6 Pony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013
Apprentice

Ya they are different, i was looking at the laguna seca caps on ebay and the 2013 designs were different than the 2012

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I looked through ebay too. But it would be intresting to know, is it possible to mount 10-12 emblem on to 13. What are the differences? From the pictures you can't see any..

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013
GT Member
S197 Member

Are you wanting to remove your glossy black plastic decklid panel and replace it with ONLY the faux cap from a 2010-12? If so, AFAIK the faux cap itself will fit, but the 2013-14 cars have two rows of square holes in the steel decklid for mounting the black plastic panel. See post #5 in this thread:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...lid-panel.html

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013
Apprentice

But will a 10-12 faux gas cap fit assy onto the black out panel of a 13-14?
i want to replace the GT with a pony or custom cap.

2013 GT -301A- Grabber Blue 6mt w/3:55

1985 Mercury Motorsport Capri Registry
Official Pace Car of Detroit Grand Prix IV

Past Pony's: 71 Mach1, 77 coupe, 79 Cobra(clone), 90 GT, 10 GT Vert
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue 2 View Post
But will a 10-12 faux gas cap fit assy onto the black out panel of a 13-14?
i want to replace the GT with a pony or custom cap.
That may depend on how you define "fit."

Excuse the length of what follows, I want to be clear:

I have a 2010-12 faux gas cap, and a complete 2013-14 decklid panel, both bought on eBay, both uninstalled. I originally wanted to replace my GT emblem with the tri-bar pony, but later decided I wanted the '13 panel instead (although I'll paint it flat black).

The '10-12 faux cap appears to have three pieces: the base/outer ring with a brushed chrome finish; the inner ring with a bright chrome finish; and the center disc that has the emblem itself on a black background. I say "appears" because these pieces are fused together with one-time-use pins that will have to be broken to take them apart, and I've not yet done that.

The '13-14 panel is similar, except that the brushed chrome base/outer ring is replaced by the large gloss black panel.

The bright chrome ring and the center disc are the exact same diameter, and have exactly the same profile, on both versions. But looking at the back sides, the number of pins and their locations are different.

My best guess, then, is that although the pins and holes will not match up and allow the pieces to snap together like they do at the factory, it should be possible to glue them together with epoxy or double-stick tape and never know the difference.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Allez Rouge: Thanks for detailed info. So faux gas cap is realy the same for 10-12 and 13-14, only mounting is different, but there is no problem to glue o stick is with double-tape.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page