Caution: Don't bother utilizing your trunk - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Caution: Don't bother utilizing your trunk

My trunk gets heavy usage. I typically keep my laptop for work in my trunk so at a minimum I'm opening my trunk 2 times a day, 5 times a week. I've owned this car for about a year which means I've opened the trunk at least 500 times.

Yesterday I noticed paint from the trunk lid is missing around the entire part that touches the weather strip. Luckily I'm still under warranty, but this is truly unacceptable and I don't see why it won't eventually happen to every mustang on the road.

Passenger side

Notice the paint on the weather stripping

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

did the dealer say it's covered?

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I haven't gone yet, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013
PONY Member

I love my car as much as the next guy here but this does seem a bit minor/ nit picky...

I have 45,000 miles on my 5.0 and it is nearly pristine but there are two very small rock chips on the hood but only I would know where they are.... It won't stay brand new forever...

2011 Mustang GT, Black with Black stripe.
6 Speed Manual.
3.73 + Brembo Brake Package.
Comfort Package.
Charcoal Black Interior.
Appearance Package 4.(Hood Scoop and Rear Spoiler)

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013
MACH I Member

Hmmm...I haven't noticed this on my car. That's a bit odd.

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013
PONY Member

Does the trunk lid stick to the rubber or does the trunk lid move while driving and rub on the rubber?

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013
PONY Member

I have this also...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013
Apprentice

I'll have to check that. Mine's probably worse, considering that several times a week the cargo is my steaming, salty, smelly, mouldy goalie equipment.

2013 GT 6MT (Black)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013
Sean Reilly

Got to keep that part of the trunks Paint Super Waxed!.....And you MUST keep that weatherstrip Highly Siliconed.....I noticed this with my '11, But I put a Stop to it with those 2 things......As far as My '13, Not Even a Mark, as the first thing that I did was to Leave a Layer of Wax right where it meets (Never wiped the Wax off) and then I siliconed the Crap out of ALL my weatherstripping, As I Refuse to be Frozen out of my Car Door in the Wintertime Again!!

Sean.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclearranger View Post
I love my car as much as the next guy here but this does seem a bit minor/ nit picky...

I have 45,000 miles on my 5.0 and it is nearly pristine but there are two very small rock chips on the hood but only I would know where they are.... It won't stay brand new forever...
I plan on keeping this car for a very long time, especially seeing how ugly 2015+ will be. This isn't very minor because it is now exposed and already oxidized. Within a few years it'd probably start to spread and then I'd need a new trunk lid entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Reilly View Post
Got to keep that part of the trunks Paint Super Waxed!.....And you MUST keep that weatherstrip Highly Siliconed.....I noticed this with my '11, But I put a Stop to it with those 2 things......As far as My '13, Not Even a Mark, as the first thing that I did was to Leave a Layer of Wax right where it meets (Never wiped the Wax off) and then I siliconed the Crap out of ALL my weatherstripping, As I Refuse to be Frozen out of my Car Door in the Wintertime Again!!

Sean.
That's what I'll start doing after they repair it. I was going to wax all the small areas from the beginning but after spending 5+ hours on the car after every detail, I tend to rush.
Sean Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoTheKing View Post
I plan on keeping this car for a very long time, especially seeing how ugly 2015+ will be. This isn't very minor because it is now exposed and already oxidized. Within a few years it'd probably start to spread and then I'd need a new trunk lid entirely.

That's what I'll start doing after they repair it. I was going to wax all the small areas from the beginning but after spending 5+ hours on the car after every detail, I tend to rush.
Don't Feel Bad Rando, Its NOT your Fault!.....As a Matter of Fact, I should have Made a Sticky Thread about this very issue. The Funny (Well NOT Funny) is that they Changed the weatherstripping After the 2010-MY (I had one of those too) In order to stop excessive wind Noise (they even listed it as an upgrade for '11+ Stangs) because my '10 didn't even have that Piece of Plastic that resides on the very bottom of the Rear Glass right where it meets the Trunk. They did this to stop all of the complaints about EVERY Maple Helicopter, and Small leaf from going right into the Trunk Rain gully, and therefore Clogging those Drains!!......Better all-around design with the '11+ Stangs.....But just not good for the Paint on the inside contact areas

Sean.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Reilly View Post
Don't Feel Bad Rando, Its NOT your Fault!.....As a Matter of Fact, I should have Made a Sticky Thread about this very issue. The Funny (Well NOT Funny) is that they Changed the weatherstripping After the 2010-MY (I had one of those too) In order to stop excessive wind Noise (they even listed it as an upgrade for '11+ Stangs) because my '10 didn't even have that Piece of Plastic that resides on the very bottom of the Rear Glass right where it meets the Trunk. They did this to stop all of the complaints about EVERY Maple Helicopter, and Small leaf from going right into the Trunk Rain gully, and therefore Clogging those Drains!!......Better all-around design with the '11+ Stangs.....But just not good for the Paint on the inside contact areas

Sean.
Haha that's funny because as soon as fall hit, I had a million little leaves down in my drains. As far as I can tell, that weather strip is useless!
PONY Member

The weather stripping is useless, I agree.

In the summer, Mine gets lawn clippings in it from driving in suburban areas.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

Sean Reilly

Yeah, it wont stop them all....But if you have a Maple with those GD Coptors, Pinocchio's, Or whatever those Wretched things are called (I know they are seeds) But at least In My case, I can see them slide down, and get stopped by that Window Plastic, so I can at least pick them off of the car.....With my 2010, I could NOT get my Fat fingers into the bottom of that rain gully, so I had to Bribe my then 9 year old Daughter to get them

Sean.

Last edited by Sean Reilly; 10-25-2013 at 04:40 PM.
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I had the seed problem with my cars, but since I bought an Air Force Master Blaster to dry them I no longer have that problem. (The leaf blower was not getting the job done)

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page