Ever Regretted modding a car? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Ever Regretted modding a car?

Kind of a spin off on ever regretted buying a car. Don't give me too much flack for this thread either. Young and dumb.

When I was 17, I purchased a used 1989 mustang that previously was wrecked and was rebuilt to look like a 1993 special edition mustang.

Needless to say I didn't know jack about cars or modding. I immediately wanted more power and had 3.73 gears put in, a performance chip with stock tunes came next, and off-road exhaust. Of course not knowing anything about cars and not knowing what questions to ask I ran into issues as nothing was calibrated correctly. My fault oh hell yeah it was.

Car ran really rough, yep O2 sensor toasted. Speedo was off, and I killed my overdrive band in the transmission. I don't know how that engine survived.

I absolutely loved that car and regret that I didn't know how to modify it correctly.

So in 2010, I noticed they redesigned the Stang. I had to have it. I would of gone after the GT, but I worked 35 miles away at the time. I got the V6 in 2010. Now in late 2013 I still have my sterling grey baby. Every mod I put on I asked a ton of questions and I did it right this time. I've had very minimal issues with this car. I have 58000 miles on it and the original v6 brakes are still in good condition according to Ford when I had a checkup recently. I have had my car lowered and all 4 tires are wearing evenly and my launch is dead center straight ahead.

Lessons learned from the mistakes I made as a kid, but couldn't be happier with my ride. Now I just have to convince the wife once the 11's paid off to allow me to add a 16' GT to the stable. No trade in's I love my V6.

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013
GT Member

It Can

It can be a minefield as we know.We all have seen the junk parts bad folks selling them and money spent with less than desirable results. I have always been a Chevy and Ford guy. I know sounds odd but Cincinnati has the Ford Transmission plant and Hamilton Ohio was one of Henery Fords first plants outside of Detroit. The Fisher Body Plant bang out the panels and the Norwwod plant produced 1957 Bel Air 60's Impala's and the Camaro and Firebirds.

When I was younger I hacked up alot of Chevy's, Coat Hangers holding up the Glass Packs driving around making noise.

The 2006 Mustang GT has been a car with zero issues and has been a blast to MOD. I will say this the Sponsors on this Forum and members have been a big part of it.

On the many deployments I have been on very supportive these folks.

So I will say no I have no regrets Modding my car or being a part of the Mustang community as they have proven to be a great group on and off the track. They do alot with the rides to raise money for those who need help and or awareness.

T Wayne

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I regret not having enough money to modify my ride. Lol. But thanks to this site and a lot of good people here, I know what to do and what not to worry about with my daily driver. You can only make mistakes by trying. And that's what you did. No shame in that, especially being 17. Off topic......Hey Terry, how you doin? I still have cams on my wish list. Haha.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013
MACH I Member

The only thing I regret is having two very expensive hobbies. Guns and car modding and not enough money to do both at the same time!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I don't regret modding any of my vehicles I personalized them to my taste so they would not look like the rest of the pack.I am glad most people leave them 100 percent stock,just because I will be in the market next spring and would like to get a late model Mustang 03,04 Mach 1 or 07,08 GT/CS with low miles. I will keep the next one stock just because it was a special edition.but I will continue modding my Grabber Blue.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Code Blue View Post
I don't regret modding any of my vehicles I personalized them to my taste so they would not look like the rest of the pack.I am glad most people leave them 100 percent stock,just because I will be in the market next spring and would like to get a late model Mustang 03,04 Mach 1 or 07,08 GT/CS with low miles. I will keep the next one stock just because it was a special edition.but I will continue modding my Grabber Blue.
I like a stock look. It's whats on the inside that matters

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Ive been modding cars for over 40 years with absolutely no regrets. Everytime you make a change, it always gets more exciting. Problem is, it is never enough. But personalizing cars and getting them the way you want them is always well worth the effort. IMO

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013
GT Member

My only problem with modding SO called aftermarket parts can be junk. I had 70 Mach1 and lots of fun with it but you can buy just about every part. Most fun and challenge has been 76 cobra II fun fun
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013
GT Member

I don't really believe in heavy mods mostly because life is too short to only drive one car for a long time and the cost of sustaining a heavy mod bug with multiple cars is very high in most cases. The only thing I regret with the Mustang is having to buy the adjustable headrests and some decent mats out of pocket. Exhaust, worth it, speakers, worth it, LED accent lighting, very worth it.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
I don't really believe in heavy mods mostly because life is too short to only drive one car for a long time and the cost of sustaining a heavy mod bug with multiple cars is very high in most cases. The only thing I regret with the Mustang is having to buy the adjustable headrests and some decent mats out of pocket. Exhaust, worth it, speakers, worth it, LED accent lighting, very worth it.
I think lifes too short too always be making payments. I drive mine until they don't drive anymore!

GT Member

OK

Off topic......Hey Terry, how you doin? I still have cams on my wish list. Haha.

Charlie doing well and getting ready to put the car up for the season. Tis the season as well to make that wish list for more parts!
Keeps me out of trouble during the winter months. Thats one of my selling points , but I think she is catching onto my ploys.

T Wayne
Apprentice

The only thing I regret is that you almost never get what you put into it. That said, I consider it a hobby and not an investment.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmpwr07 View Post
The only thing I regret is that you almost never get what you put into it. That said, I consider it a hobby and not an investment.

This^^ You have to consider it a hobby. Anyone who thinks of it as an investment will usually be disillusioned come sale time.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

No regrets, my 2011 GT/CS is night & day compared from stock to modified; there is no way I would go back stock.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page