Tremec installation review - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Tremec installation review

I have had my Tremec installed now for a while, so time for some review. Ill state right up front, well worth it. I just came in from driving my car. I banged it through 3 hard shifts and the transmission did what it is supposed to do. When you shift it, the lever goes into the next gear with authority. You almost feel like you are driving a race car ! When it goes into another gear, you know its in.
Nothing mushy at all it "snaps" into gear with precision accuracy. And when driving around town you never fail to find a gear. It also goes into first from a roll and never kicks back like my MT82 did on occasion. I got the 2:97 first gear( I have 3:73's out back) and it felt sluggish at first during normal driving as compared to the lower gearing in the MT82. But at WOT it gets the job done ! The pavement was cold and in first gear, the drag radials broke loose. Car went sideways for about 50 feet till I went into second, then it straightened out. The gearing is great with my Procharger. You have a lot more time to watch for the rev limit and get into the next gear.
I didn't like the stiff spring in the reverse solenoid. I know the factory installed it to prevent any chance of accidently engaging reverse when going into 5th. I went on ebay and purchased a 50% reduction spring and it works great. I can now go into reverse using one hand, with nominal effort.
UI have been having some clutch issues, which are unrelated to the performance of this transmission.
All I can say is the Tremec, is far and above the stock MT82. Costs a few bucks yes, but in return, it takes all the guesswork out of shifting.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013
PONY Member

Randeez did you try out a new bracket before you went with the new tranny?

I have to think a lot more about 1st to 2nd shifts with the stock transmission, I've been spoiled with my other car's t56 transmission. That thing is precise, or at least more precise than the mustang's tranny. I've thinking about swapping in a sturdier bracket to see if that improves the throws.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighsayer11 View Post
Randeez did you try out a new bracket before you went with the new tranny?

I have to think a lot more about 1st to 2nd shifts with the stock transmission, I've been spoiled with my other car's t56 transmission. That thing is precise, or at least more precise than the mustang's tranny. I've thinking about swapping in a sturdier bracket to see if that improves the throws.
I had a Barton shifter on my MT82. I also tried both brackets, that they offered. Neither ,came close to the Tremec.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

No doubt it's a great conversion if you really need or want it and if you have an extra $4000 to throw around...

The first complete T56 conversion for a 2011+ V6 has just recently been completed and a article on it will soon be available.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
Costs a few bucks yes, but in return, it takes all the guesswork out of shifting.
Just curious, exactly what was the total cost of the conversion?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2013 GT, automatic, Brembo brake package
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
No doubt it's a great conversion if you really need or want it and if you have an extra $4000 to throw around...

The first complete T56 conversion for a 2011+ V6 has just recently been completed and a article on it will soon be available.
At my power levels, and on soft tires , I personally feel more comfortable with it as opposed to staying with the MT82.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgoins View Post
Just curious, exactly what was the total cost of the conversion?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The kit was 3995.00 which included the aluminum Dynotech driveshaft. Then you will need clutch of your chosing , plus whatever the installation cost, if you are having someone do it.
Count on spending somewhere in the 5-6000 range.

Another member mentioned it was a good conversion piece if you have the money to throw around.
Im not a millionaire by any means. But I have NO INTENTIONS of selling my car, so I want it , the way I want it. I mean you have to spend your money on something right lol.

Besides, when I sell the MT82, look at the big money I will get for it to help recoup some of the costs lol.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013
PONY Member

Great review, thanks for the update.

It sounds like the same quickness is there at WOT as with the MT82.
Yes?

Are you still considering going to 3:90 rear gears or staying with the 3:73s that you have currently.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013
PONY Member

Send a message via MSN to Rorysbrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
I look forward to reading about that conversion.

Rory S. Brown from Surrey, BC Canada
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2014 Mustang MCA Edition in Grabber Blue. Previously: 2016 Shelby GT350 in Race Red, 2015 Mustang V6 Competition Orange, 2012 Mustang V6 Premium ProCharged in Black, 2011 Mustang V6 Premium in Red Candy Metallic, and 1979 Mustang Cobra in Bright Red (My 1st New Car)
Website www.mymustang.ca
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorysbrown View Post
I look forward to reading about that conversion.
Do they have pricing out for the 2011 mustang v6 conversion?
Is it about the same as the GT Tremec in comparison?

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
Great review, thanks for the update.

It sounds like the same quickness is there at WOT as with the MT82.
Yes?

Are you still considering going to 3:90 rear gears or staying with the 3:73s that you have currently.
Yes at WOT first gear is still plenty low enough. I think 3:90 gears might put me back in the same boat as I was in with the MT82. So Im leaving well enough alone.

PONY Member

The only thing that worries me if I go this route in the future is where you observe that it's more sluggish in everyday driving out of boost.

But I kind of figured that the taller gears of the Tremec would do that.

I like hearing that in boost, it's just fine.

There is always a trade off when modding, isn't there.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
The only thing that worries me if I go this route in the future is where you observe that it's more sluggish in everyday driving out of boost.

But I kind of figured that the taller gears of the Tremec would do that.

I like hearing that in boost, it's just fine.

There is always a trade off when modding, isn't there.
Yes there are trade offs,especially on a street car. A prepped race car with suspension and tires would be an entirely different story.

One other good thing about normal city driving though is you don't have to shift hardly as much with the taller gears. But at part throttle pulling away from lights, the taller gears are as I said, less responsive.
I also miss the really short throw of the Barton on my MT82. The standard Tremec shifter has a longer throw. But hey, here we go again, MGW is coming out with a short throw shifter, and Im sure Barton will also, if demand is high enough.
So yes, there are trade offs, and once you start modding, does it ever end ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page