Hydrographics/Hydrodipping? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Hydrographics/Hydrodipping?

Does anyone do their own hydrographics? I'd love to do my engine cover, coil covers, radiator cover etc.., but frankly I don't want to pay to have it done. There seem to be a lot of "kits" out there that you can buy to get you started on the net, but I thought I'd ask and see if anyone here has had any luck doing their own. Obviously things like the radiator cover are larger and would require more film and a bigger tank etc..

I currently don't have the ability to handle the clear coat process on my own, assuming I am successful at the dipping process. How hard is it to clearcoat items yourself? Are we talking a small air compressor and a paint sprayer, then loads of patience with sanding and finishing, or is it far more involved?

I guess what it comes down to is, if I could invest a few hundred bucks into doing it myself, I'd rather do that than be out a grand getting parts dipped and painted.

Thanks in advance!

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013
MACH I Member

I'm also curious about the DIY kits. Been thinking about dipping a gun or two.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I was considering this for dash pieces. From my own research (google, youtube etc...) it looks like it takes a fair bit of practice to get confident with it. The film has a very specific soak time, then an activator is applied...not enough and it won't stick, to much and it's ruined.

It looks interesting and a big selection of cool graphics...personally I would have a shop do it or invest in a couple of kits and practice with other things before trying anything off the car. I just ended up painting my dash.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Yeah I was thinking practice with some cheap throw away designs/films on random household objects to gain confidence. The kits aren't very expensive, so I figured having enough space to do coil covers etc., may not be too bad. I think I'm more worried about attempting to clearcoat stuff myself.

Love to hear feedback from anyone else who's tried!

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
I'm also curious about the DIY kits. Been thinking about dipping a gun or two.
I don't like hydro-dipping because it stretches/warps to conform to the part being dipped. The selected graphic pattern is therefore distorted, sometimes significantly so. Painting you gun yourself is much cheaper, and you can do it at home with nothing more special than a light-duty hobby airbrush.

I wrote a program that allows you to select camouflage paint colors from various paint manufacturers (Cerakoat, Duracoat, etc) that match your current geographic area. Simply load a picture of your desired operating area, and it matches colors to that environment.

The app is completely free to use.

CamoPicker

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page