Remove Resonator for new Axleback install? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Remove Resonator for new Axleback install?

I have a 2014 GT. Tomorrow my new Ford Racing GT500 Axlebacks arrive and will be installed. I have seen in a few posts here that removing the resonators is recommended. I really don't know much about exhausts.
  • What exactly do the resonators do?
  • What is the benefit of removing them?
  • Disadvantages of removing them?
  • Also, any Horsepower gain with the GT500 Axlebacks?

Thanks!

2014 Base GT Black, 6-speed Manual, Tech Package and 3.73 Gears
MODS: GT500 Axlebacks / Cat Delete / Pypes X-Pipe / Strut Tower Brace / OEM leather seats / Black 19" Brembo Wheels / Steeda CAI / BBR 93 Oct Tune / Roush Lowering Springs / BBR Panhard Bar / Whiteline LCAs / Barton Shifter / 8 Ball Shift Knob / JLT Oil Catch Can / Shorty Antenna / RTR Chin Spoiler / CDC Grill / Drilled Rotors / Black Calipers / Hawk HPS PADS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013
Apprentice

Deleting your resonators makes the car louder, i don't really think you gain any hp from it, but sounds a whole lot better then stock especially since you have axel-backs coming in.

2011" Mustang Gt 5.0 Red Candy Metallic 6MT:-Eibach Lowering Pro-Kit with Sway Bar/MGW Short-Shifter/BBK Longtube Headers/BBK Catted Shorty X-pipe/Custom Exhaust Catback/Boss 302 Intake Manifold/Boss 302 Tower Brace/JLT CAI/Flim Flam Racing Dyno Tune/Gt CS spoiler/18inch GT500 Wheels/5.0 Red Caliper Covers/10% tint all around
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013
notaV8

• What exactly do the resonators do? - Resonate
  • What is the benefit of removing them? -louder and raspier, more backfire
  • Disadvantages of removing them? -too loud, can cause drone and sound unrefined.
  • Also, any Horsepower gain with the GT500 Axlebacks? -none

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013
PONY Member
S197 Member

If you're running GT500's, you won't get any noticeable rasp or drone from removing them. I've had them removed with the stock H pipe, aftermarket X, and now aftermarket H, and have not experienced any issues. Just exhaust blissfulness.

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013
GT Member

Agreed with the above. It's a little louder but deeper and much better sounding. It doesn't "backfire" and doesn't rasp at all to me. It's def not too loud w/ GT500's and there is no drone whatsoever.

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013
Rookie

I removed my resonators when I added the GT500 axelbacks and absolutely loved the sound. As others stated, no drone and no rasp. The stock resonators do pinch down so you should get better air flow with resonator delete pipes. I just recently added cat deletes and now it is very loud! No drone, definately raspy above 2,000 rpm. I think stock resonators and cat deletes might have been a good a combination. I will likely be adding Pypes M80s at some point soon.

2012 GT, Brembo Package, MGW, FRPP Tune (removed), GT500 Mufflers, Lethal over axle pipes, Steeda Non-adjustable Upper Control Arm, Eibach adjustable lower control arms, BMR relocation brackets, BMR panhard bar, Eibach pro kit, Tokico D-specs, GT500 strut mounts, Forgestar F14-19x9 and 19x10, Michelin SS-255/40 and 285/40, Redline hood struts, DSS aluminum drive shaft, Whiteline transmission bushing insert, Jegs cat deletes, SCT iTSX, Bama tune
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarius View Post
If you're running GT500's, you won't get any noticeable rasp or drone from removing them. I've had them removed with the stock H pipe, aftermarket X, and now aftermarket H, and have not experienced any issues. Just exhaust blissfulness.
What are the differences between aftermarket X and H?

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 6spd manual transmission-BBK Longtube headers-BBK O/R X- Borla S Type mufflers- Dolce DC34 Matte Black wheels - 255/35/20 Nexen N3000 all around.
Raxiom halos, all lights smoked, louvers, Tuned by Lund Racing
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 pt oh View Post
What are the differences between aftermarket X and H?

It's your midpipe after the catylitic converters, or "cats". You can buy one in 'H' shape or 'X' shape. Stock from Ford is 'H'. Too much detail to type out here, google for more info.

'11 5.0 SG 6MT Brembo 3.73 Borla S-Type Catback
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0PhilGT View Post
It's your midpipe after the catylitic converters, or "cats". You can buy one in 'H' shape or 'X' shape. Stock from Ford is 'H'. Too much detail to type out here, google for more info.
Was asking personal opinions from both on sound, and which one is the deepest

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 6spd manual transmission-BBK Longtube headers-BBK O/R X- Borla S Type mufflers- Dolce DC34 Matte Black wheels - 255/35/20 Nexen N3000 all around.
GT Member

Quote:

H is deeper

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 15 characters.

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
Apprentice

Quote:

Ah gotcha...I was going to say, someone with your mods should know the basic differences LOL.

Well, I had the stock H w/ Outlaws for about a year. Now Borla S Catback. The borla is definitely a smoother, more pleasing sound. The Outlaws w/ stock H sounds great too though. The x makes it slightly quieter it seems, to my ears at least. H is deeper with more rumble, X smoother with a less choppy idle. I like the high RPM sound w/ X better on these Coyotes, but the H at lower RPM's for the deepness and rumble.

That is my best attempt at explaining the audible differences haha. There is more minutia associated with them but that is a basic rundown in my experience between the two.

'11 5.0 SG 6MT Brembo 3.73 Borla S-Type Catback
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0PhilGT View Post
Ah gotcha...I was going to say, someone with your mods should know the basic differences LOL.

Well, I had the stock H w/ Outlaws for about a year. Now Borla S Catback. The borla is definitely a smoother, more pleasing sound. The Outlaws w/ stock H sounds great too though. The x makes it slightly quieter it seems, to my ears at least. H is deeper with more rumble, X smoother with a less choppy idle. I like the high RPM sound w/ X better on these Coyotes, but the H at lower RPM's for the deepness and rumble.

That is my best attempt at explaining the audible differences haha. There is more minutia associated with them but that is a basic rundown in my experience between the two.
Perfect, thanks man.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page