Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2011-2014 Mustang Talk (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-talk/)
-   -   Which gears for a '14 GT? (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-talk/606410-gears-14-gt.html)

vger105 12-18-2013 08:03 PM

Which gears for a '14 GT?
 
I am in the process of "building" a new GT on the Mustang site and I noticed there are three different rear end gears available. Is there a consensus as to which gears are best for street use?
The last Mustang GT I had, an '86, had 3.55 which, if memory serves me, I had installed. I think the stock gears were 3.08.
Thanks for any input.

HarrishMasher 12-18-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vger105 (Post 5589938)
I am in the process of "building" a new GT on the Mustang site and I noticed there are three different rear end gears available. Is there a consensus as to which gears are best for street use?
The last Mustang GT I had, an '86, had 3.55 which, if memory serves me, I had installed. I think the stock gears were 3.08.
Thanks for any input.

I suspect it depends what you want the car for. The Brembo and Track Pack comes with 3.73 gears. So if you are looking for more performance and more power/torque at lower RPMs 3.73 is the way to go.

I got my 2014 GT 3 months ago. It was a Base model they had on the lot with 2 options, the Tech Package, and 3.73 gears. I grabbed it as soon as I saw it. I had a vision for the car and what I wanted to do to it. See my mods below. Clearly I am looking for performance.

I have never driven a newer GT (11-14) with anything other than 3.73 gears, so I can't speak to the other gears. But keep in mind the gears are short with the 3.73. Some people will say 1st gear is unusable with 3.73s. This is simply not true.

stevegt2012 12-18-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarrishMasher (Post 5590042)
Some people will say 1st gear is unusable with 3.73s. This is simply not true.

I have 3.73's and agree with you. Plus I can pull out of a turn in 4th gear at 20 mph so less shifting in low speed city use.

Rdavis 12-18-2013 10:44 PM

I have 3.73's also and agree with the previous posts. 1st gear is far from useless. It compliments the 5.0 engine perfectly. Yes it is short, but it does put the power down. If at times you get tired of the short 1st gear, you always have the option of starting out in second. Works fine.

GrbrBlu 12-18-2013 10:46 PM

I love my 3.73s (had them in my Fox too) but I've always preferred lower gears. I don't think 1st is useless at all.

JediDave 12-18-2013 11:30 PM

The 3.73's fit my driving style perfectly, wouldn't want any other ratio.....unless maybe 4.10's!crazy2.gif
Jedi D.

csamsh 12-19-2013 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Call me crazy, but I'm switching from 3.55 to 3.31. Less shifting while on track or running autocross.

Lothar 12-19-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarrishMasher (Post 5590042)
Some people will say 1st gear is unusable with 3.73s. This is simply not true.

^ This.

I was concerned about having an unusable 1st gear when I ordered my 2014 GT with 3.73. I found people's comments about this to be completely false. I virtually always start out in 1st gear, and love the strong torque that I get in that gear, accompanied by the satisfying chirp of my tires. Starting out in 2nd makes for too sluggish a start for my tastes.

I think I get up to about 20 mph in 1st, and then a quick shift into 2nd gets me quickly up to speed on my streets. From there I often skip gears to settle into a cruising speed.

32Fountain 12-19-2013 10:08 AM

I had 3.73 gears for two years in my 2011 GT and I loved them. The performance was perfect for me and the gas mileage was awesome (18-19 city and 25-26 hwy). I used 1st gear 99.9% of the time only occasionally taking off in 2nd just to see how it felt. It can be done but 1st gear was my preference.

Black Fire 12-19-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarrishMasher (Post 5590042)
The Brembo and Track Pack comes with 3.73 gears.

Half true, Track Packs only come with 3.73.s (because it uses the same setup as the Boss) The regular Brembo cars are available with any of the optional gear sets unless you order a Brembo with an automatic (13-14 only) then your stuck with 3.15's.

sqidd 12-19-2013 11:47 AM

I have a Brembo car with 3.31's, so not all Brembo cars come with 3.73's (well at least in 2012 they didn't).

I hate the gearing. Way too short. I would much rather have 3.08's.

Also note that the only two competitive/track/race drivers that have chimed in (that I know of) are me and csamsh. And we both think the car is geared too short.

And this isn't Tech, it is an opinion thread. Moved.

2014MustangGT 12-19-2013 12:12 PM

I've got 3.73's.

Sure, if your intentions are to drive course tracks then you probably would want a smaller gear. But for smile factor (and drag strip) the 3.73 makes your Mustang feel like what it's supposed to feel like.

I'll take that launch with some drag radials any day on a drag strip (over turning left and right back and forth over and over)

csamsh 12-19-2013 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sqidd (Post 5593242)
I have a Brembo car with 3.31's, so not all Brembo cars come with 3.73's (well at least in 2012 they didn't).

I hate the gearing. Way too short. I would much rather have 3.08's.

Also note that the only two competitive/track/race drivers that have chimed in (that I know of) are me and csamsh. And we both think the car is geared too short.

And this isn't Tech, it is an opinion thread. Moved.

Yeah you have no idea how much the "3.73's and track pack" thing is killing me for the 2015's. Of course, we know that "track pack" isn't really a serious term.

I would love to buy a car with 14" front brakes, Torsen, and 3.31 gears. I don't think that combo will be available though. Oh how I hate option packages...

csamsh 12-19-2013 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014MustangGT (Post 5593322)
I've got 3.73's.

Sure, if your intentions are to drive course tracks then you probably would want a smaller gear. But for smile factor (and drag strip) the 3.73 makes your Mustang feel like what it's supposed to feel like.

I'll take that launch with some drag radials any day on a drag strip (over turning left and right back and forth over and over)

Found the guy who's never been on a track!

2014MustangGT 12-19-2013 02:32 PM

You actually found a guy that is BAD on a road course (or bad by how I would like to be)

It takes a lot more skill to drive a road course then it does to drive in a straight line (obviously) it's just more thrilling to me to rocket ahead.

I had 3.73 in my last Mustang and I would do horrible on the track. My buddy had a 3.23 (which I drove and it was much easier/better)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vB.Sponsors
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-2015 All Ford Enthusiasts Network ™.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome