2013 Mustang has me shocked - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

2013 Mustang has me shocked

My 2013 Mustang GT literately has me shocked. Every time i get out of it the door handle shocks me. It dont bother me too much, but what if i pick up a fat chick with a pace-maker? The seats are cloth, maybe its building up static. Please help me. And please dont suggest a ground wire that drags on the road as i drive. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Is the air really dry out there right now? It is super dry here and I am getting shocks off of just about everything.

Don't pick up any fat chicks with pacemakers until the humidity goes up a bit.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014
PONY Member

You have too much polyester in your wardrobe!

2011 GT Coupe Premium, Black exterior with Charcoal black turned leather interior. Rapid spec 400A with 6-speed MT, 3.73 limited slip axle, 19" painted aluminum wheels, HID headlamps, comfort package. FRPP tune with K&N air filter. FRPP Touring axle back exhaust with Borla 2 3/4" over axle pipes. ST Suspensions coilovers w/GT500 mounts. Spohn poly/del sphere adjustable lower control arms and Spohn adjustable panhard bar with Steeda panhard bar brace. Hotchkis Sport sway bars.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014
EGT
Apprentice
5.0L Member

As long as you touch the door handle or get out before the fat chick you will discharge the static, before said fattie and her pacemaker get a jolt.

2012 Black Premium GT

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Do you go around looking for fat chicks with pace makers???

Now, that is a strange fetish.

What do you do with them after you pick them up?

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

No tha cant be the problem. I threw away all my silk underwear and i live close to the beach so the air is humid. im at a loss
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014
Apprentice

I have a base model '11 GT and I have the same problem (in Texas). When I'm in work slacks, not a problem but with jeans it's guaranteed to happen. I guess I'm just used to it now haha.

'11 5.0 SG 6MT Brembo 3.73 Borla S-Type Catback
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014
PONY Member

When I get in I make sure that my left leg is touching the sill area after I sit down (to discharge static from sitting) with my foot on the ground, then I swing it in after seated.
I had the same problem except I was getting zapped when lowering the brake handle. Since doing this simple technique, it has not happened once.

2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton Novi 2200 with torque booser and Lund tune, DW1000 injectors, JMS BAP, ATI damper
Lethal ORP, MGW shifter, BMR upper and lowers, Spicer 1 piece DS, Ram Single disk clutch with aluminum flywheel, Power leather seat conversion. Staggered wheels.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014
PONY Member

I would say it's the cloth seats. I think there is something you can spray on them to prevent it, but I can't recall what it is.

2014 GHIG GT Premium - Track Pack, Comfort Pack, Rear Camera, GT500 mufflers, Boss 302 Grille with stock fogs.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcottrell6 View Post
I think there is something you can spray on them to prevent it, but I can't recall what it is.
Yes, my ex-girlfriend used this stuff called "Static Guard". Amazon.com: Static Guard Spray -- 5.5 oz.: Kitchen & Dining

I have never used it myself but I witnessed her using it quite often and it worked well, at least for clothing static and stuff sticking together.

My cats and dogs taught me as much about life as humans.

I love my friggen car. LOVE IT.
Apprentice

Quote:
I would say it's the cloth seats. I think there is something you can spray on them to prevent it, but I can't recall what it is.
I agree, it's the cloth seats. The spray is called "Static Guard". My 2007 F150 shocks me every time the humidity is low. I use it every winter and it works really well.
Buy Anti-Static Spray - Eliminate Static Cling -Static Guard

2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium w/pony package, Magnaflow Street axle-backs, LED license plate light, LED interior lights, Strip LED trunk lights, MMD Hood struts, SCT X4 Tuner with Steeda tunes for life, Boss 302 strut tower brace, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
PONY Member

Here's a review from Amazon that says it works for this exact purpose...

Quote:
Amazon Verified Purchase
This product is not only wonderful for static cling associated with clothing, but it works great for static cling and shocks associated with fabric car/auto upholstery and car/auto carpeting. I use it regularly for this purpose. When I first got my new car I noticed that every time I got out and shut the door I would get a static shock caused by a static charge build up from the fabric used for the car's upholstery. I purchased a can of Static Guard Static Cling Spray here on Amazon and sprayed the car's upholstery and carpeting and it has completely resolved this issue. I reapply it once a month.
Heh. DJ2014 and I posting at the same time.

My cats and dogs taught me as much about life as humans.

I love my friggen car. LOVE IT.
Rookie

thank God I found this thread. Ive been getting static shocks in my 2012 stang with cloth seats. I will buy this static guard.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Try rubbing with a dryer sheet

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
Apprentice

Hmmm my cloth seats have never interfered with my fat chick game nor have they ever shocked me? It must be the way we get in and out of the car that makes the difference?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2012 Sterling Gray V6
Steeda Ultralite* Tokico Spec D* Steeda HD Mounts
MRT Interceptor Mufflers

To relax, some people love to meditate. Some love yoga. Some listen to soothing music. I relax by hearing the roaring sound of my mustang carving through a curvy canyon road, inhaling fresh air, steering with sweaty palms, looking in the rear view mirror for cops, and speeding with a grin on my face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page