Ford Mustang Forum banner

supercharged 05-10 gt or a new coyote gt?

20K views 55 replies 24 participants last post by  Grabber05 
#1 ·
I was looking at some Roush/saleen sc mustang (05-10) and they seem to be really nice! Now if you had a choice between a s197 sc or the coyote, which would it be? What are the pro's and cons, if there any? Thanks!

#2 ·
Coyote. Pros: great engine with a lot more potential than the 3v especially in stock form. Cons: its not a z06

#3 ·
I have a 2010 GT and have been thinking about the same thing; here are my thoughts:

Supercharged 4.6:
- somewhat unique / not as common as Coyote GT's / might surprise some people (PRO)
- lower cost, starting from my 2010 and adding supercharger (PRO) ; a Roush might actually be higher cost
- more torque / fatter low end powerband / should be more fun to drive (PRO)
- added complexity and stresses of supercharger may lead to maintenance issues (CON)
- a little more nose heavy (CON)

Naturally aspirated 5.0:
- stock engine, full factory warranty and support (PRO)
- a little lighter on the front end (PRO)
- not as beefy powerband (CON) but very adequate
- relatively common (CON if you care about that)
- a little more potential for growth, if you supercharge it later (PRO but not really a fair comparison)

The deciding factor for me would be cost

#46 ·
Get the damn 5.0.
Supercharging anything is going to be expensive as hell, and reliability goes out the window. Better gas mileage is also a plus too, though it doesn't really matter to you 5.0 guys.

Is it me or a lot of sixer guys are upgrading to 5.0s within a year?

#4 ·
Used coyotes could be found for good prices now. A low mile 2011 should be under 20k

#6 ·
Easily into the 600+ range on stock internals.

#8 ·
the 4.6 3v seems to start pooping at around 500rwhp. coyotes seem to handle 600rwhp. i have been making 650rwhp for some time now. the coyotes also rev alot more before flying apart. i rev mine to 7400 with the blower and was reving to 7800 without the blower.

#14 ·
they are both easy to mod and cheap. blower nitrous and turbos cost about the same for both cars. the mt82 is not a bad transmission. I beat the hell out of mine without issues. i flat foot shift it constantly and my car makes over 650rwhp and with drag radials there alot of work that the trans has to do..

#12 ·
I had a supercharged 05 and now a 13 GT.

I loved my 05. First new car. FRPP suspension, hurst shifter, Whipple twin screw. But, after the install, it had gremlins that the mechanics couldnt find.

IMO, My 13 is faster with better build quality. Im happy with the 420 HP and dont want to mess with the engine now. Ill wait to mess with the suspension again.

Id go with the coyote.

#16 ·
This would be a no-brainer for me. Get the GT.

I'd rather have 85% of the power of the supercharged car with a reliable, un-stressed engine than have all the power with headaches.

Of course I stupidly persist in viewing a car as a means of getting from point A to point B.

#17 ·
OK, after long hours of researching. the new coyote is a better option. Because they have the same amount of power, stock?(5.0 vs 4.6 SC) and if I was to mods one (5.0 bolt on vs 4.6 SC) the outcome won't be to much of a difference?

Or maybe somebody can change my mind base on real facts? 4.6 SC vs 5.0

#22 ·
Ok the 5.0 is a superior car. But having the same power ( stock 5.0 vs sc 4.6 ) not even close. Just throw a non intercooled paxton or vortech on a bone stock 4.6 and your at 400hp at the wheels. Stock 5.0s are around 350 at the wheels

#18 ·
supercharged coyote

#23 ·
Get the 5.0

I've owned 2 Blown 3V GT's. They are impressive, but, are very limited on what they can do.

The 5.0 handles better, brakes better, more options/features, IMHO Looks Better and has more potential long term.

The 3V is safe around 500 RWHP, but, Torque is what kills the car. Most S/C 3V's (Manual) are around 450 RWHP. I've raced a Stock 5.0 and edged him out by 1-2 cars. Not that much of a difference when my 3V made over 70 RWHP more and was a bit heavier.

I just traded my 3V in and am waiting on delivery for my 2014 GT. My eyes lit up on the test drive just after driving my blown 3V. Night and day difference, and after the test drive, my 3V never felt the same. I had to have a Coyote.

#25 ·
Get the 5.0

I've owned 2 Blown 3V GT's. They are impressive, but, are very limited on what they can do.

The 5.0 handles better, brakes better, more options/features, IMHO Looks Better and has more potential long term.

The 3V is safe around 500 RWHP, but, Torque is what kills the car. Most S/C 3V's (Manual) are around 450 RWHP. I've raced a Stock 5.0 and edged him out by 1-2 cars. Not that much of a difference when my 3V made over 70 RWHP more and was a bit heavier.

My brother has a 13 5.0 with a bama tune and CAI, and while we have never drag raced at a track I can tell u from 50 mph dropping them both to 3rd gear I can leave him siting like a bad habit. Not even close!!!!!

#26 ·
The 5.0 Coyote is better in every way hands down. The car itself and the drivetrain. My last 4.6 didn't compare my 2011 GT would run circles around it lol. Most manual 5.0's make around 370-380 at the wheels stock that's very impressive. There is no argument here the Coyote rules.

#29 ·
I shoved my bloat-loaded '12 into the 11s on basically tires and a mild tune. So, yeah, it's no contest, as far as I am concerned.

I'll admit to a prejudice against the 4.6 though. I've always hated that engine and considered it gutless for its displacement and a heavy fuel user for the power it makes. I've had 4 Mustangs but, I was never going to buy another as long as that iron lung was underhood.

#30 ·
Well, clearly shows your knowledge on the 4.6 3V... Iron lung... Get your facts straight ..

LEXiiON

#31 ·
3V was an Aluminum Block, not Iron.

With a blower, tire and minor suspension the 3V can run deep into the 11's. I wouldn't say "No contest" in terms of performance.

#33 ·
I bought my car 5yrs ago for $18,000 I've put about $7,000 in engine mods to it for a total of $25,000 and iv got stock gt500 hp in a lighter package for a whole lot less $$

#34 ·
Jesus, "Iron Lung" is an idiom denoting something that doesn't breathe all that well on its own, not some suggestion about the material used to construct the 4.6.

A 5.0 can go into the 11s on a tune and a good tire so, that's a win there, AFAIC. Low mods, similar delivered performance, little risk of scattering your investment all over the track.

#36 ·
I don't think it is that easy to just run 11's "JUST LIKE THAT" with no real effort. Yes, they have great potential, but, here, I'll take a stab in the dark. Your car is running sub 12's (11.9x) @ 115.

You have 3.73 Gears, Tune, Upper Control Arms, Lower Control Arms, GT500 Axle-backs and Slicks. Stock Intake and Stock Intake Manifold, correct?

Your car went 3 tenths faster than my 3V GT that made 407 RWHP, ran on Street Tires with 3.31 Gears, Stock Suspension, weighed 3850LBS with Driver and ran in over 100 Degrees in Chicago heat. I can guarantee if I would have run in cooler temps around 70 Degrees, had a slick or Drag Radial, I would have ran 11.7's @ 113-115. Not bad for an Auto car daily driven with over 60K miles on the motor with a blower that's been on it for 50K miles.

The 5.0 destroys a 3V stock for Stock. When you are talking Blower to bolt-ons, the 5.0 is not lightyears ahead or bus lengths faster. Driver's race with an edge going to the 3V unless you have a full bolt-on car.

#39 ·
Even a bolt on 5.0 won't beat a average middle of the pact supercharged 3v. A paxton HO kit will get you about 450hp to the wheels there is no way you are making that with just bolt ons with a 5.0 and I'm not talking about bolting on heads or bolting in cams because I know some here will come back with " you just bolt them on too" I'm talking the basic bolt ons. Didn't american muscle have a video of them building a full bolt on 5.0? Maybe some one can find that and post it.

#40 ·
True.

My 3V made 456 RWHP with a Non-Intercooled Vortech V2 @ 8 PSI on a hot day.

The Bolt-on 5.0 made it to 10.9x @ 122 with a Cobra Jet Manifold, Full Exhaust, Suspension work, good weather, Slicks/skinnies and some other touch ups.

That is fast, but, far from what your run of the mill 5.0 is able to do at a track without these mods and the driver behind the wheel.

#41 ·
Definitely get the 5.0, WAYY more potential there.

#42 ·
The 5.0 is just a better all around platform. You might be spending your max now so I could understand you wanting the most bang for your buck at the moment.
However you will come into more money at a later date. When you do SC the 5.0 if you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.