Raxiom Navigation Unit for 11-14 Mustangs... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Raxiom Navigation Unit for 11-14 Mustangs...

Raxiom OE-Style GPS Navigation w/ Bluetooth & Back-up Camera 100300 (10-14 All) - Free Shipping

Does anyone have this unit installed? I've seen videos of it online and it looks pretty solid. It's the only NAV screen that actually looks close to factory. I heard it retains all elements of SYNC and the radio functions too, which is great. I have a few questions though.

1) How is the quality of the unit? Is it fast or does it lag a lot?

2) Are the maps pretty much up to date or are they drastically out of date? The reason why I didn't care for the factory nav was that it was already 2 years out of date when i bought my car, and it costs about $300 bucks to update. My iPhone does these updates for free.

3) Are the turn by turn directions really bad like they are on the non-NAV sync cars? Example, if you go off the planned route, do you have to dial up SYNC again to get back on track? Or does it automatically recalculate?

4) Does it have any other fancy features? Like nearest gas station? Weather? Or is it basically just like the non-NAV Sync cars?

5) Can you add custom pictures to the background screen? Or are you stuck with those few options?

6) If I have a preexisting rear-view camera in my mirror, is it not worth it to hook up the camera for the NAV screen? I actually kinda prefer the rear view mirror now.

Sorry for all the questions. Seems lengthy, but if all things check out, I'd def like to purchase this.

Thanks!

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014
GT Member

I have no experience with it personally, because I feel it looks very cheaply made, but I can tell you I've read plenty about on this as well as other forums, so a search would serve you well.

Sent from my S4 using autoguide

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks, but I'm looking for people who have it for posts that aren't two months old. I want to see how the experience has been.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014
PONY Member

Garage
blkandgud:

I've owned this product since November and I can assure you that it's a very high quality (not cheaply made) product that has awesome fit and finish and flawless operation. The installation takes some time if one wants to do it right. The unit retains all the factory/sync/Sirius, and steering wheel controls. The back-up camera is of high quality and the GPS satellite connection is flawless. The navigation works like its designed, and the 7 inch screen is HD, with AV in. I purchased an automobile power inverter (Radio Shack $30.00) along with a portable Craig DVD player (Kroger's $15.00) and play movies on the Nav screen. Since the Nav screen is near 720P the picture looks and plays smoothly with no stuttering. Additionally, the sound utilizes all 9 speakers of my Shaker Pro. I don't perceive any lag from the Nav. The maps seem to be up to date and of course displays restaurants, gas stations, hospitals, malls, etc. I haven't tried to upload any backround pictures yet, but it's possible those can be added to the SD card that pops out of the front of the unit....however, you'll have to do additional research to verify. No, you will not have to utilize the rear view camera unless you want to put it up front for a frontal view (don't ask me why you'd want to do that, but the possibilty is there nontheless). If you want a nav unit, this is the best thing going in my opinion....there is no other OEM style add in currently produced in the retail marketplace.

Good luck!

Jedi D.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raxiom-GPS.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	308794  

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

This is good to know and great information! Thanks. My biggest concern was the quality of the unit. I like how it's the only unit that retains SYNC and the stock look.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
-Roush Axle-backs
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014
Apprentice

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014
Apprentice

how does it sync up when connecting an iPod, does it allow you to search through with the nav, since the sync without nav, the iPod search is terrible
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014
Apprentice

I main thing I don't like about it is there are no colored lines to assist parking on the rear video camera like on the OEM unit. This is a major gaffe, if you ask me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page