2013-14 Boss 302 front splitters- Ford Racing - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

2013-14 Boss 302 front splitters- Ford Racing

I was on American Muscle and I saw two Ford Racing Boss 302 splitter kits. They look identical except one is over twice the money and has just a few extra parts in it. I'm wondering why the more expensive kit M-16601-MBKIT at $1329 is so much more and what makes it more desirable over the BR3Z-17626A/DR3Z-17626BA(no actual Ford Racing part #?) at $639 one. They both seem to have the same chin splitter and air deflector but the $1329 one has a grill insert, bracket, and bolts included in it.
I know the bracket is for the optional Laguna Seca splitter but that bracket only sells for $78 by itself. So, all I see in that high dollar kit is the bracket, a few bolts, and a plastic grill insert over the $629 kit. That makes it worth $700 more?!
I wonder if someone at Ford Racing was smoking the crack pipe when they came up with the pricing on that kit. Maybe that kit came out first? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

This thread is useless without links.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I wouldn't go so far as saying useless since I provided the part #s but here they are if anyone cares to comment on what justifies the massive price hike:
$1329 kit: Ford Racing BOSS 302 Mustang Front Splitter M-16601-MBKIT (13-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping
$639 kit: Ford Racing BOSS 302 Mustang Chin Spoiler Kit DR3Z-17626BA (13-14 GT, V6, BOSS) - Free Shipping
It doesn't look like anyone posted a review on the expensive kit so who knows if they actually even sold one. After thinking about it it seems to me that the more expensive kit is just for being able to install the Laguna Seca splitter as an option if you wanted to. I just wonder if that bracket that's included on the expensive kit also has any mounting points for the regular Boss 302 splitter and air deflector in the cheaper kit. Maybe the cheaper kit isn't attached as well as the kit with the bracket or maybe the cheaper kit only mounts to the lower fascia anyway and there is nothing to sweat over?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajet67 View Post
I was on American Muscle and I saw two Ford Racing Boss 302 splitter kits. They look identical except one is over twice the money and has just a few extra parts in it. I'm wondering why the more expensive kit M-16601-MBKIT at $1329 is so much more and what makes it more desirable over the BR3Z-17626A/DR3Z-17626BA(no actual Ford Racing part #?) at $639 one. They both seem to have the same chin splitter and air deflector but the $1329 one has a grill insert, bracket, and bolts included in it.
I know the bracket is for the optional Laguna Seca splitter but that bracket only sells for $78 by itself. So, all I see in that high dollar kit is the bracket, a few bolts, and a plastic grill insert over the $629 kit. That makes it worth $700 more?!
I wonder if someone at Ford Racing was smoking the crack pipe when they came up with the pricing on that kit. Maybe that kit came out first? Can anyone shed some light on this?
This does look a little steep for something so similar. However, we don't set the price on this item. Let me check with Ford Racing and see what we can come up with. Just from a basic parts count, you do get much more with the more expensive kit.

For $639 you get just the Splitter. For $1329 you get the Splitter, Lower grille insert, lower deflector, bumper beam bracket and fasteners.

I'll report back with what we here from Ford Racing!

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
I wouldn't go so far as saying useless since I provided the part #s
It is good forum etiquette that if you want help with something you provide all the information needed to make the assessment. Not make people go looking for it. If you dont post links most people will not go looking for the parts for you. They will just move on to the next thread.

In fact, you would have been much better off posting pictures of the two different kits right in your first post.

Maybe I should have used this emoticon instead:

As far as the difference between the two kits goes I am only guessing here but the less expensive one looks more like decoration and the more expensive one looks more functional. Lets see what AM says.

Good luck!

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014
GT Member

Reading the install instructions on the kits, you don't need the bracket if you just want the splitter, so, if you only wanted the splitter, and not doing the laguna seca portion, you don't need it. Thus, go for the cheaper kit and be done with it.

I would like to have the splitter, but not $600+ worth. I don't blame the distributors for that price, Ford sets the price they sell it for to them. AM and everyone else has to pay that price for it FORD sets. I have to admit, even if AM, (I only use them as an example since they are my preferred vendor), could sell it for $400, I am not sure if I like it that much to pay that price though. (but the BOSS splitter would be a nice finishing touch to go along with the roush side and rear splitters)

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,
BMR Upper control arm mount and lower control arm brackets.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
This does look a little steep for something so similar. However, we don't set the price on this item. Let me check with Ford Racing and see what we can come up with. Just from a basic parts count, you do get much more with the more expensive kit.

For $639 you get just the Splitter. For $1329 you get the Splitter, Lower grille insert, lower deflector, bumper beam bracket and fasteners.

I'll report back with what we here from Ford Racing!

-Dan
Actually, the cheaper kit gives you both the lower deflector and the splitter which are the 2 main parts of the kit. It says and shows that there are 2 parts to it.
I understand that American Muscle doesn't set the baseline price on Ford Racing parts but for $700 more it only shows that you get the $78 bracket, a plastic grill insert(supposedly for use when used with the optional Laguna Seca splitter), and about a dozen bolts worth maybe $10-$15. That means you are paying over $600 for a grill insert minus the bolts and bracket. I going to bet someone could order that grill insert at a Ford parts counter for far less than $600 since that's the only part that seems to hike up the price on the more expensive kit. It just seems very odd to me.
My theory is this kit was released when the 2013 first came out but now since there are so many other options in the aftermarket that the cheaper kit was made available to compete since no one seems to be buying a chin spoiler/splitter kit for a whopping $1329. Does my idea hold any water?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingdragon View Post
I would like to have the splitter, but not $600+ worth. I don't blame the distributors for that price, Ford sets the price they sell it for to them. AM and everyone else has to pay that price for it FORD sets. I have to admit, even if AM, (I only use them as an example since they are my preferred vendor), could sell it for $400, I am not sure if I like it that much to pay that price though. (but the BOSS splitter would be a nice finishing touch to go along with the roush side and rear splitters)
I agree. It is more than any of the others I have seen but it has the right look. It's not too gaudy but it looks more aggressive than the stock GT splitter. They are genuine Ford parts so I guess you have to pay for the quality and fit which really is worth extra. Though, how much extra is the question when other much cheaper options are out there. Unless I find something else I like I'm probably buying that kit. It looks great and it's functional as well.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014
GT Member

Quote:
[

I agree. It is more than any of the others I have seen but it has the right look. It's not too gaudy but it looks more aggressive than the stock GT splitter. They are genuine Ford parts so I guess you have to pay for the quality and fit which really is worth extra. Though, how much extra is the question when other much cheaper options are out there. Unless I find something else I like I'm probably buying that kit. It looks great and it's functional as well.
I agree, you pay for quality, it is just that my like of the splitter is not $600+ worth, lol. Not to mention I have spent too much lately on the Mustang upgrading the suspension, so logic is prevailing right now (dang it) and I am not going to do it. Not for a while at least....

I would also venture to guess FORD released the expensive kit first, then came up with the second less expensive kit later, and did not realize they had the kits priced so far apart. Left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing sort of thing.

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingdragon View Post
I agree, you pay for quality, it is just that my like of the splitter is not $600+ worth, lol. Not to mention I have spent too much lately on the Mustang upgrading the suspension, so logic is prevailing right now (dang it) and I am not going to do it. Not for a while at least....

I would also venture to guess FORD released the expensive kit first, then came up with the second less expensive kit later, and did not realize they had the kits priced so far apart. Left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing sort of thing.
Most of the other 2013-14 front splitters/spoilers I've seen from various vendors are in the $200-$450 range so I guess when compared to all of rest it does seem a bit much.
I was also assuming that the expensive kit was released first and the cheaper kit second. I think most people don't care to add a Laguna Seca splitter anyway so the cheaper kit is the way to go.
Yeah, I have to admit that I've been getting a little crazy myself buying up most of the accessories that I initially wanted. I had to put the brakes on how much I've been spending as well. I guess since I didn't buy the Premium I've been making up for it with other goodies. Almost all of what I bought so far has been Ford accessories along with just a couple aftermarket items. I have a pile of projects waiting for warmer weather now.
Are those Shelby wheels on your GT? I like the way they look with the solid black body.
GT Member

Quote:
Most of the other 2013-14 front splitters/spoilers I've seen from various vendors are in the $200-$450 range so I guess when compared to all of rest it does seem a bit much.
I was also assuming that the expensive kit was released first and the cheaper kit second. I think most people don't care to add a Laguna Seca splitter anyway so the cheaper kit is the way to go.
Yeah, I have to admit that I've been getting a little crazy myself buying up most of the accessories that I initially wanted. I had to put the brakes on how much I've been spending as well. I guess since I didn't buy the Premium I've been making up for it with other goodies. Almost all of what I bought so far has been Ford accessories along with just a couple aftermarket items. I have a pile of projects waiting for warmer weather now.
Are those Shelby wheels on your GT? I like the way they look with the solid black body.
Funny you mention putting the brakes on spending, I would like (don't need) to put the brembo brakes on my car.... Ok, I saw a funny connection there, need more coffee.

Yes, they are Shelby CS-40 wheels, and thanks.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The less expensive Ford Racing kit is what I'm going with. I'm placing the order tonite. I can buy the bracket, grill insert, and bolts separately from Ford and/or Ford Racing for FAR less than the $700 extra in the complete kit if I ever want to add a Laguna Seca splitter to the car(which I don't). The cheaper kit gives me the entire FULLY FUNCTIONAL Boss 302 splitter and that's all I want anyway.
I still don't get the idea of the insanely high price on this more expensive kit. There are NO reviews on it on the AM website which means no one or very few people bothered to spend the extra money for the luxury of adding a Laguna Seca splitter. Ford Racing obviously didn't give the pricing enough thought when releasing this one.

Last edited by Cobrajet67; 06-29-2014 at 07:29 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Well, it turns out the Boss 302 splitter kit is out of stock at AM. So, since these are available as service parts from Ford I simply punched in the 2 part #s that make up the Boss 302 splitter "kit" BR3Z-17626-A and DR3Z-17626-BA and found that you can purchase them online for far less by themselves from an online Ford parts dealer. Tascaparts has them cheapest at $141.76 and $346.31 respectively for a total of $488.07 plus shipping(about $50). That turns out to be $100 less than AM. I like AM and do order from them but this time Tasca it is. Since they are Ford parts and not aftermarket it only makes sense anyway.
Apprentice

Looks like the more expensive kit has the upper and lower grilles and a support bracket the cheaper one doesnt have. That it probably most of it.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The more expensive kit has a metal bracket for optional use with a Laguna Seca splitter(sold separately): M-17A626-MB=$77, the lower bumper grill also if ever a Laguna Seca splitter is added: DR3Z-17K945-CA=$503.47, 8 small bolts and 10 small nuts(most of which come with the bracket), and the aforementioned splitter and deflector.
Apparently, the grill is the reason it's so expensive. If ever you wanted to add a Laguna Seca splitter then you need the $500 grill to do so. The regular Boss 302/GT grill is only $81.20.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page