Matte or flat black spoiler paint code - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonyZ View Post
I'm a painter there is no special code. Its the clear that makes it flat not the paint.
I told my shop "black" and he said tuxedo black? and I said no just UA black and it came out exactly like the rest of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorydn1 View Post
Good, then If I understand correctly the same code (UA) black paint without the clearcoat would be what the OP is looking for color matching, then, correct?
UA black is what I would say for sure. Don't know what else he did but it was a Ford dealership that did the work

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

thats because you need to put a flattening additive to the clear.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I called the dealer today and he said he would need a Boss 302 VIN to look up the code(they had none on the lot). He also said that the Ford body department would be the easiest place to talk with to get it but they were closed on Saturdays.
I know that Dupont and PPG have specific codes for different gloss, semi-gloss, or matte blacks and I know that Ford uses very specific codes to get the glossiness of the colors just right. Simply adding a flattening agent without knowing the correct amount that is specified for a given amount of paint may result in a completely flat finish or maybe a finish that is still too glossy. Consistency is why Ford uses paint codes which have a specific measured amount of flattening agent in them.
I'm super picky when it comes to getting things done exactly right. I don't want the body shop to guess with my spoiler. I'm sure they have done it 1000 times already but I want it to have the exact same sheen as my center stripes just like the Boss 302 does.

Apprentice

If you don't find the paint code you are looking for (which i doubt exist) they could do some some spray out cards to see how flat you want it.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonyZ View Post
If you don't find the paint code you are looking for (which i doubt exist) they could do some some spray out cards to see how flat you want it.
A paint code or number exists for everything that is painted on or in a car from the factory. Do you think they just wing it? That would never fly at any factory and definitely won't work for me now. Everything is mixed exactly when any part on the car is painted from Ford or any other manufacturer. The Ford dealer told me to call the body department on Monday for the exact code.
The spray card idea is a good one but I'm not going to be there whenever they get around to spraying it. Even if they had samples laying around it wouldn't do me any good since I won't have the car there either since I'm just dropping off the spoiler and side scoops(getting sprayed the body color) to them in my Sport Trac and picking them up when done to install myself.
I also think that it's just easier to tell them what Dupont code to paint it so there is no confusion or mistake.

Last edited by Cobrajet67; 02-16-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: sentence structure
Apprentice

The mixing instructions for the flattening agent will give specific amounts to add for the amount of gloss to be achieved i.e. flat satin , semi-gloss , etc . I had mine sprayed black and satin clear and it looks great . Good Luck !!

2013 GT GRABBER BLUE/SILVER BOSS STRIPES,CS FOG LIGHTS , SIDE & REAR WINDOW LOUVER , GT 500 AXLE BACKS , NEW SHIFTER , CDC SHAKER SCOOP , PAINTED COIL COVERS , JLT CATCH CAN , 20" GUNMETAL BULLITT'S STAGGERED / NITTO 555'S MORE TO COME...
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romcjr View Post
The mixing instructions for the flattening agent will give specific amounts to add for the amount of gloss to be achieved i.e. flat satin , semi-gloss , etc . I had mine sprayed black and satin clear and it looks great . Good Luck !!
The amount of flattening agent is the question. There are many degrees of gloss, semi-gloss, or matte finishes. That's why I want the paint code from Ford so there is no question.
Your car is very nice looking. I love the blue with silver stripes. I was torn between the Grabber Blue, Gotta-Have-It-Green, and the Sterling Gray. I chose the green since it's my favorite color and I have 2 other projects slated to be painted in Grabber Blue. The dark gray was awesome but just too typical for me. I also tend to like the loud colors that scream to look at the car; I mean it is a Mustang after all.
Apprentice

Hey so did you find the paint code you were looking for?
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

When I talked to the dealer they said the factory has some in house codes but they are not applicable or recognized on anything painted outside the factory. So, if you have any part at all that needs to be repainted they basically just wing it on the amount of flattening agent no matter what it is.
I had my spoiler painted along with a pair of side scoops and they all came out awful. I even brought them to a noted body shop that does a lot of muscle cars and other specialized projects and they totally ruined my expectations of what they could do. My spoiler was supposed to be matte black with no gloss in the clear and they painted it black with semi-gloss clear along with dust in the final product. The side scoops were even worse. They were supposed to be painted green with the grills masked off and after 3 times they still couldn't get them painted completely around the edges or without dust in the paint. They also oversprayed on the grills. Terrible work and totally unprofessional. Long Valley Auto Body is who did my "work" for me.

Last edited by Cobrajet67; 07-02-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page