Matte or flat black spoiler paint code - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Matte or flat black spoiler paint code

Does anyone know the Ford paint code for a 2013/14 rear spoiler in black. I don't know if it's called flat, matte, or something else from Ford but I need to give the code to the body shop for a Ford pedestal spoiler that I recently purchased for my 2014 GT. Any help or a link is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014
Apprentice

You could just use any black but you have to add a flattening agent to the clear. I'm painting my roof and spoiler next week and that's what I'll be doing.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajet67 View Post
Does anyone know the Ford paint code for a 2013/14 rear spoiler in black. I don't know if it's called flat, matte, or something else from Ford but I need to give the code to the body shop for a Ford pedestal spoiler that I recently purchased for my 2014 GT. Any help or a link is appreciated.
The matte black that Ford uses is a vinyl, not paint.

2011 GTCS
Officially too many mods to list...

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie2011GT View Post
The matte black that Ford uses is a vinyl, not paint.
Though Ford does use vinyl decals for graphics, stripes, and things like rear tail light panels they do and always have used paint on parts like spoilers, side mirrors, etc, when not molded in black plastic or painted the body color of the car. There are parts painted from the factory in non gloss black paint like the Boss 302 spoiler for instance and that's the paint code that I'm looking for. Does anyone know where I can find it online?
Here's a pic of the Boss 302 with a good view of the black spoiler: https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...fr=yfp-t-901-s

Last edited by Cobrajet67; 02-15-2014 at 04:43 AM. Reason: added pics
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajet67 View Post
Though Ford does use vinyl decals for graphics, stripes, and things like rear tail light panels they do and always have used paint on parts like spoilers, side mirrors, etc, when not molded in black plastic or painted the body color of the car. There are parts painted from the factory in non gloss black paint like the Boss 302 spoiler for instance and that's the paint code that I'm looking for. Does anyone know where I can find it online?
Here's a pic of the Boss 302 with a good view of the black spoiler: https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...fr=yfp-t-901-s
Happy searching: PaintRef.com - Automotive Truck Fleet Paint Color Code Cross Reference

If they don't have it, it probably doesn't exist

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage

According to the 2013 Brochure the rear spoiler is "Low-gloss black".

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorydn1 View Post
Happy searching: PaintRef.com - Automotive Truck Fleet Paint Color Code Cross Reference

If they don't have it, it probably doesn't exist
Hmm, apparently they only show the main body color codes. Thanks for the link though.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:

According to the 2013 Brochure the rear spoiler is "Low-gloss black".
Ahhh, now we are getting somewhere. That's solid info. I now at least have a name to the color I need. Thanks!
Next, I just need to find out where I can translate that into a paint code.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Unhappy

Yeah I kept searching after I posted the link. I took that brochure page straight from the 2013 Ford Mustang page from that site I provided you the link for. When I switched my search to low gloss black, I came up with a buttload of early 80's similar looking Chrysler and Chevy truck codes, but no Ford

SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I found this code as it pertains to the 1970 Boss 302 low gloss black, not sure if its exactly the same as the 2012-2013 Boss...

Low gloss black - DDl-9423

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=54224.0

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I found this code as it pertains to the 1970 Boss 302 low gloss black, not sure if its exactly the same as the 2012-2013 Boss...

Low gloss black - DDl-9423

Whats textured and whats low gloss black???
I was going through an internet search as well and also saw some of the vintage paint codes but nothing for the 2012-13 yet. I wonder if Ford could tell me at the parts counter.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I'm wondering that myself, because it seems one can buy the part from Ford "primed" and then get it painted whatever they want it to be painted.

I found one boss owner that had the top half painted gloss black (code UA) and the bottom half flat black, but I am absolutely stymied at every turn in finding a paint code for that.

Apprentice

I'm a painter there is no special code. Its the clear that makes it flat not the paint.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonyZ View Post
I'm a painter there is no special code. Its the clear that makes it flat not the paint.
Good, then If I understand correctly the same code (UA) black paint without the clearcoat would be what the OP is looking for color matching, then, correct?

Apprentice

No, you need to spray a a clear coat with a flattening additive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page