Ford Mustang Forum banner

First time down the track

4K views 45 replies 16 participants last post by  5 pt oh 
#1 ·
Took my 2012 5.0 to the track for the first time this weekend, and wow what an experience. There were plenty of full blown drag cars there and maybe 5-6 street cars.

Unfortunately this track was only an 1/8 mile and 1000ft(no mph on 1000) so I just want to know from the community here an AFM how i did for my first time, and what i can do to improve my self.

These were my best runs, and this was with no spare, full tank, tire pressure at 30psi, and The car weighed 3,830lbs with me in it (165lbs)

homer.gifhomer.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, what were your times. Kinda need those posted to be able to give opinions....

#3 ·
Well i posted a picture, let me type them out from the picture.

#4 ·
R/T----.636
60ft----2.071
330ft--5.568
1/8 ET-8.401@88.32MPH
1000ET-10.869

R/T----.654
60ft----2.039
330ft--5.497
1/8 ET-8.295@89.25MPH
1000ET-10.665

These were my best couple of runs(traction was a big problem)

G
#8 ·
R/T----.636
60ft----2.071
330ft--5.568
1/8 ET-8.401@88.32MPH
1000ET-10.869

R/T----.654
60ft----2.039
330ft--5.497
1/8 ET-8.295@89.25MPH
1000ET-10.665

These were my best couple of runs(traction was a big problem)
Not bad at all, congrats.
My only recommendation (if no one has already told you) is to leave when the 3rd yellow light illuminates. That will for sure bring down your reaction time and your 60ft times. If you do it the split second the light changes from 2nd yellow to 3rd, then you may red light.
It made a huge difference on my launches.
The launch is everything, but you have to find what works for you etc like laughingdragon said.

#5 ·
Ah, pic was not showing, at least not for me. Converting the times, would go high 12-low 13 times.

First thing, you already stated, work on hooking better. work on your reaction time, that would help too. Traction, could try changing what RPM you leave at, that could help, and not cost anything.

don't take it wrong, I am not saying I could do any better, don't know, but just some thoughts on how to improve, like you asked.

#6 ·
Oh trust me man I am only 17, its not like ive been driving a manual for 20+ years. I know there is lots to improve on, and this is no where near the mac potential.

I will say this, this was before my tune was datalogged and revised. i now have a revised tune on the car and it pulls like a big block compared to before(exaggerating slightly).

There are some videos, but i have to get them from my friends phone sometime this week.

#7 ·
And by hooking better, I meant the tires, not down on the street corner..... :rollgrin: Ok, yeah, I am childish, lol

#11 ·
Well I say those are pretty good times. I think my best so far was 8.38 on drag radials that I was still having difficulty with traction. Not sure what the DA was when you were at the track. If I remember correctly DA was around 3000 at my track last summer. Track prep makes a big difference also.

For you to get better traction I recommend LCA relocation brackets and LCA's with poly bushings. And I highly recommend BMR LCA and relocation brackets because you have more adjustability and Kelly Aiken at BMR provides excellent customer support.

#17 ·
Came in expecting actual track day only to find out OP meant drag strip.

#18 ·
I would love to do a track day, I think it would be fun(and scary, being as my suspension is stock with 20" wheels)

#20 ·
It's all new to me, now I have my tune revised and going back to the strip for TnT Friday night, any tips for my second run? Spare or no spare? How much gas? What RPM could I shift at and not blow my engine? My rev limiter is set to 7,300 according to my tuner and would like to cross the 1000ft line at the very top of 3rd instead of shifting into 4th, but my main concern is over revving

#21 ·
60', 60', 60'!

Your launch is the most important part of the run. Typically, for every 1/10th taken off your 60' time, your time is reduced by 2/10ths (in the 1/4). Try revving to about 3,000 rpms and feathering the clutch. You want to launch as hard as possible without spinning the tires. Track prep has a huge bearing on traction and launching too. You just have to make 4-5 runs and get used to it. Remember though, track conditions get WORSE as the night goes on. Try to get there early. I would lower your rear tire psi to about 20-25 to help with traction. Definitely take out your spare, and I'd run with about 1/4 tank of gas. Of course make sure you have enough gas to get home though!

Just because your car redlines at 7,300 rpms, doesn't mean it makes power that high. Ideally you want to shift right when your car starts to drop from peak power. On a stock 5.0, that's usually 6,800-7,000 rpms. If you have to hit the rev limiter a couple times to avoid shifting, it's not that big of a deal. Just don't make a habit of it.

#31 ·
How are you getting 91mph in the 1/8? I can't get above 90 and you said you were basically stock

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#24 ·
I have an 1/8th mile here in my town, and if I wanted to run a 1/4 mile I can go 40 miles down to Jacksonville and run there.

#25 ·
A young man is waling down the street, stops and elderly gentleman and asks, " How do I get to Carnagie Hall?" Old man says, " practice practice practice"

Same for the track, you will get better at it the more you do it.

#26 ·
Cool! What do have to do down there in J-actionville? The only thing there worth anything is MCB Camp Lejune.

#27 ·
Yeah, brain farted, thought you meant Jacksonville FL lol. That is what I get for posting before having my morning coffee. Would be more like next time I am in Durham at Duke, at least I think that is the closest site I go to near you.

#28 ·
Yeah Duke is about 220 miles from the house...

#30 ·
Not to thread hijack (it's pretty much on topic lol) but can someone explain bracket racing? I'm not familiar with it at all. I've mostly done TnT fun races - mash the gas on green and whoever crosses first wins. Do you have to race for points or can you just do it here or there, whenever? I work weekends so I can't be at the strip every weekend, and I think the gf would be a little upset at me if I burned all my vacation time racing!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#32 ·
New best time in the 1/8th, 8.03@90.75mph

Had 255/35/20's at 28psi. No weigh reduction, and last time I weighed around 3900 with me in it. I weigh 170. My rims weigh a lot!

#34 ·
New best time in the 1/8th, 8.03@90.75mph

Had 255/35/20's at 28psi. No weigh reduction, and last time I weighed around 3900 with me in it. I weigh 170. My rims weigh a lot!

That is a fantastic time Man, good job. You're right there, a little better launch from away from 7's.

#38 ·
60ft --- 1.80
1/8th---7.81 @ 91 mph
1000ft--10.12 no mph reading.

The new best times.

#41 ·
60ft --- 1.80
1/8th---7.81 @ 91 mph
1000ft--10.12 no mph reading.

The new best times.

All that with just headers and exhaust? You must have good track conditions. Good drivers with much more serious mods constantly struggle to get that low at Mid-America Motorplex in Pacific Junction, IA.

#40 ·
What would this be corrected? I have no idea where to do it but somebody told me the DA was about 1100

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.