Ford Mustang Forum banner

A first for me - custom wheels

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  dcottrell6 
#1 ·
This is my 4th Mustang and embarrassingly high numberth car and I have never considered replacing wheels before. In fact I have often thought it a rather strange idea, and still do in many cases (there is a fad for 80s -90s large sedans with 24"+ 5 spoke wheels and low profile tires around these parts that is downright risible. A bright green Cadillac DTS with Lamborghini doors and gold ornaments is my favorite).

But I found myself thinking the OEM wheels on the base GT are just TOO bland. That dullish silver paint is more like gray and the "spoke" pattern is like a dying flower corolla to me. So I pretended I was really concerned about rotational mass and bought some new wheels that were 23# apiece, even though it was looks that prompted the change. I did not buy just the rims of the wheels that seem to be popular purchases lately. Taste is subjective and chrome is a polarizing choice so I'm sure it won't be a universal opinion but I think these suit the car much more and present some needed aesthetic impact to the lower stratum of the car's profile.

Yes I know you all know what OEM wheels look like - just included for comparison.

EDIT - has anybody ever had any luck selling OEM wheels without tires and if so how did you go about it?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Sorry folks not a great photographer - I'm only good for the general idea of the installed wheel. Here is a commercial shot of the wehel itself - a Motegi MR120 in chrome plated (they have several other finishes). Main worry on looking at wheel pic was whether would be too much space not enough spoke, but ratio is good in real life.

Attachments

#5 ·
Nice wheels, different like they said.

You can sell the OEM wheels on Craig's List, E-Bay, or on the classifieds here . . . . if you sell them fairly cheap like $500-600 for the set they should move pretty quick, if you ask too much they will take a really long time to sell.

#11 ·
Looks like Viper GTS track pack wheels. It's different, I like it.
Doesn't look like...it is them. I cannot tell the difference. Pic of my wheels. Mine is a base with the track package.

Ooooops....just noticed the pic is of a viper wheel. The wheel on the 5.0 appears very similar, viper wheel is much darker and not as shiny.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.