Fed up with Sync -solutions? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014 Thread Starter
EGT
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Fed up with Sync -solutions?

Sync is really beginning to get on my nerves. It is bad enough I have to hit the button on the steering wheel and say "bluetooth audio" every time I want to wirelessly hook up my Iphone. But the fact that about 2 out of 3 times it says "no bluetooth device is detected" is getting old. It shouldn't be this difficult. A $100 Sony head unit in my other car works flawlessly, as long as the phone is in the car it picks it up. No verbal command, no BS.

Does anyone know if there is a good bluetooth receiver I can just plug into a USB port in the car to pick up the iphone thru the AUX input? Any other solutions besides ripping out the stereo?

2012 Black Premium GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Sorry but when I get in my car, I disconnect from the outside world. Learned that things can't be that important.
Dave

2015 Stage 3 Roush
'66' Ranchero w/almost done 302 T-5 swap
2000 4x4 Ranger
2003 4x2 Ranger
'69' Fairlane Cobra, 428 4-speed waiting for work
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Just be glad you don`t have the Ford My Touch infotainment system to go along with SYNC.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGT View Post
Sync is really beginning to get on my nerves. It is bad enough I have to hit the button on the steering wheel and say "bluetooth audio" every time I want to wirelessly hook up my Iphone. But the fact that about 2 out of 3 times it says "no bluetooth device is detected" is getting old. It shouldn't be this difficult. A $100 Sony head unit in my other car works flawlessly, as long as the phone is in the car it picks it up. No verbal command, no BS.

Does anyone know if there is a good bluetooth receiver I can just plug into a USB port in the car to pick up the iphone thru the AUX input? Any other solutions besides ripping out the stereo?
Take a look at this thread.....
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...morning-4.html

The TSB 13-9-22 will get you a new release of SYNC that cannot be updated from the SYNC support website. It made a big difference in performance for me.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014
PONY Member

How soon after starting the car are you trying to use the phone? I usually wait a couple minutes and it works fine but if I immediately try to connect to the phone it says that the bluetooth is not available. I just treat it like an older computer and allow it time to "boot up" for lack of a better term.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Sorry but when I get in my car, I disconnect from the outside world. Learned that things can't be that important.
Dave

Same here.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014
Apprentice

i hate the whole having to go through the menu to get my music to play. the phone part has no issue, its the fact that i have to choose BT audio every time i start my car. My old ass car with BT played automatically if i wanted to, it's stupid that i cant get this on this car. Agree with OP.

2012 GT Premium - some mods are on
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014
PONY Member

This isn't a fix, but it will be a lot easier and save you time from having to say a command and wait for a response. Just hit the bluetooth button on the center console. It will be faster, direct, and you can go straight to whatever you're playing.

2014 Mustang GT 400A 6spd, Deep Impact Blue, Track Pack, Recaro Leather, Rear View Camera
Ordered:12/04/13 VIN: 12/10/13 Window Sticker Online: 12/19/13 Scheduled: 02/16/14 Built: 01/14/14 Original ETA: 01/13/14 Home: 01/29/14
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014
PONY Member

Good afternoon all, first let me say that I havent used a voice activated system yet that works well. Not my Audi, VW, Porsche etc. That being said the Ford is on par. My Droid's Blue Tooth hooks ups automaticly, if I want to call some one I just say " Call so and so" and it does. Heck it even responds when I say play media, and music starts playing from the phone via blue tooth. I really dont think it is bad. Ditto the 6spd, just saying!

Last edited by Usmc1488; 03-31-2014 at 04:47 PM.
GT Member

It seems that iPhones have trouble with the BT audio hookup. My Nexus 5 connects 10/10. The text messaging, however... 5/10,

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014 Thread Starter
EGT
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Thanks to all who replied, inspired me to do a bit more digging for some stuff not in the owners or sync manual. Some info here may be helpful too Sync Workshop: Setting up your iPhone 5 with the Sync System - Ford Tech Lane

I re-paired the phone Then hit menu button, turned tuner dial until "select source" appeared, pushed OK button in the center of the tuning knob, and turned dial until "bluetooth audio" appeared. Then, lo and behold, music from my Iphone shook the mighty Shaker 500.

This actually appears in the Sync manual on pg 42. But the way I had read the manual was this was how the USB wired connection worked. But it also seems parallel to the bluetooth function. Fingers crossed that it keeps working.

2012 Black Premium GT

Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpotato View Post
i hate the whole having to go through the menu to get my music to play. the phone part has no issue, its the fact that i have to choose BT audio every time i start my car. My old ass car with BT played automatically if i wanted to, it's stupid that i cant get this on this car. Agree with OP.
Hi ezpotato,

Unfortunately, there are no settings within the SYNC system to choose a default source.
Page 42 of the SYNC Supplement for your vehicle shows how to access different sources without using a voice command: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../12sycsy2e.pdf
Giving the voice command BLUETOOTH AUDIO is the quickest way to switch in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGT View Post
Thanks to all who replied, inspired me to do a bit more digging for some stuff not in the owners or sync manual. Some info here may be helpful too Sync Workshop: Setting up your iPhone 5 with the Sync System - Ford Tech Lane

I re-paired the phone Then hit menu button, turned tuner dial until "select source" appeared, pushed OK button in the center of the tuning knob, and turned dial until "bluetooth audio" appeared. Then, lo and behold, music from my Iphone shook the mighty Shaker 500.

This actually appears in the Sync manual on pg 42. But the way I had read the manual was this was how the USB wired connection worked. But it also seems parallel to the bluetooth function. Fingers crossed that it keeps working.
Hi EGT,

It sounds like everything is working smoothly now, but here are some basic troubleshooting tips that you may find helpful: Troubleshooting tips for SYNC and SYNC with MyFord | SYNC & SYNC with MyFord | Ford.com

Kim

FORD IN-VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY TEAM

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
Apprentice

My sync works OK except when I try to tell it to play a certain song from my I-pod. It Almost always tells me a list of songs who's titles sound nothing like I said. Just irratating. Another thing is when I get a message on my phone, it comes over the sync which says the message was recieved on some date early in 2003. I tried troubleshooting both my Android and sync to no avail. Does anyone know how I can get the messages to display the correct date?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 Mustang GT Prem. Red Candy Tint
19" Nickle painted rims
GT/V6 Pkg 1 ,Comfort Package
Reverse Sens/Sec Pkg
Char/Cashmir Sport Leather Seats
6 Speed Man. 3.31 Rear
Ordered 9/14/12, VIN 9/27/12, Sticker 10/1
Build 10/9, 1st ETA 10/18 2nd ETA 10/22, Deliverly: 10/19
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisoup View Post
My sync works OK except when I try to tell it to play a certain song from my I-pod. It Almost always tells me a list of songs who's titles sound nothing like I said. Just irratating. Another thing is when I get a message on my phone, it comes over the sync which says the message was recieved on some date early in 2003. I tried troubleshooting both my Android and sync to no avail. Does anyone know how I can get the messages to display the correct date?

Hi Brisoup,

Does your SYNC system only have trouble with voice commands when you're using the iPod, or are there recognition issues with all commands? As far as the text message concern, I believe one of my supervisors ran across this issue recently on a navigation system. Is your vehicle equipped with navigation? I'm going to check with him tomorrow and let you know if there is any troubleshooting I can recommend.

Kim

FORD IN-VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY TEAM

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
Apprentice

For the most part, it's mainly issues with the I Pod. It's 4 years old & I plug it into the USB port. Sometimes it misunderstands me when I try to make a phone call from my address book, but not as much. I do not have navigation. The phone I have paired with Sync is Samsung Galaxy Android 4.1.2 . I tried calling Sync support a few months back about the message date Issue and they basically said there was nothing that could be done about It.Thanks for your help. Brian

2013 Mustang GT Prem. Red Candy Tint
19" Nickle painted rims
GT/V6 Pkg 1 ,Comfort Package
Reverse Sens/Sec Pkg
Char/Cashmir Sport Leather Seats
6 Speed Man. 3.31 Rear
Ordered 9/14/12, VIN 9/27/12, Sticker 10/1
Build 10/9, 1st ETA 10/18 2nd ETA 10/22, Deliverly: 10/19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page