Billet oil catch can with braided, stainless line and fittings, (pics) - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
S197 Member

Looks great! Even with the 2 different colors I still love the look, nice going.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks, I am an old school drag racer and love the look of the colored fittings........aaaand the red matches the car color oretty damned close. Contrast helps.

2014 Ruby Red GT. Brembo's, Recaro's, 3:73's, FRPP p springs, Airaid CAI, GT 500 axlebacks., tuned by ID-motorsports.com, BBR Billet lower control arms, BMR relocation brackets, BMR adjustable Panhard bar, AMR silver wheels with 255 on the fronts/285's on the rear. more to come.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleg View Post
What is the point in having a catch can? To catch blown out oil? Ive been seeing them advertised but never a reason why one should invest in one.

Thanks
There is no point unless you love doing dirty maintenance every month. Other than that, no proven benefits.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoTheKing View Post
There is no point unless you love doing dirty maintenance every month. Other than that, no proven benefits.
So you are saying there is no benefit of a catch can?

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

The benefit of the catchcan is to catch the oil before it goes into your intake. Will it burn, yeah, about 50% of it will. The rest coats the intake and the rest of the engine after a while it builds up inside the engine and acts like glue to attract any particulate matter that gets past the filter. Over time it will coat the back side of the intake valves. If its no big deal, go pour a few teaspoons full of oil in your air filter every couple of weeks.

2014 Ruby Red GT. Brembo's, Recaro's, 3:73's, FRPP p springs, Airaid CAI, GT 500 axlebacks., tuned by ID-motorsports.com, BBR Billet lower control arms, BMR relocation brackets, BMR adjustable Panhard bar, AMR silver wheels with 255 on the fronts/285's on the rear. more to come.

GT Member
S197 Member

...and engine oil does not have a very good octane rating... so you don't really want it in your cylinders

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Oh yeah, and that.

PONY Member

Every car I've ever owned has not had a catch can and there were no issues.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Yeah you know what it will run fine and you might not have an issue but I sure as hell do not want that oil coating everything.

It lowers the octane levels and makes a mess.

It catches plenty of blowby, maybe not 100% of it but enough to let you know it is doing it's job.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
Banned

LOL some people just love going against the grain for no other reason than to do so. The PCV system was oringally designed to meet emission and environmental standards. Does it hurt the engine with that little amount of oil getting into the intake/runners/valves? Probably not per say.

I dont know about the rest of you, but after about 100k miles of that little amount, I would think its bound to become a bit clogged/dirty. I can just about promise you if Ford didnt have to have that system in place, they wouldn't. Dont think just because Ford did/didnt do something, means it doesn't hurt/help the engine and performance.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Here's what my UPR catch can looked like inside when I checked it the other day:

UPR Catch Can traps OBSCENE amount of oil! - YouTube

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharad View Post
Here's what my UPR catch can looked like inside when I checked it the other day:

UPR Catch Can traps OBSCENE amount of oil! - YouTube

Shows how a catch can becomes 100x more important after going FI. And with that being as full as it was, im betting it was just coming in the one end and sucked right out on the other, but its hard to tell how that catch can is designed from the vid.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDPONE View Post
Shows how a catch can becomes 100x more important after going FI. And with that being as full as it was, im betting it was just coming in the one end and sucked right out on the other, but its hard to tell how that catch can is designed from the vid.
Agreed about the importance, but no the lines were dry. No oil in the intake track. Seems I caught it just in time. I've been checking it more frequently now.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Rookie

How did you attach catch can to strut tower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalpilot View Post
The fittings are from summit, you can get all black or nickle or red, etc.... I cut and tapped the existing PCV valve with 1/4 npt and bought 1/4npt to -8 an line. Its a pretty easy deal, just go slow and tap straight.

Your car is really nice... Lots of detail work... I need to know how you attached the Billet Technology catch can to the strut tower??? Did you make a bracket yourself.. if so, what did you use...

Thanks
Bill, Austin, Ts.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I made a bracket out of a 1" x 6" aluminum piece. Bent it and drilled it as I needed it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page