Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By stevegt2012
  • 1 Post By WhiteBird00

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

2014 mustang gt clear peeling?

Hey guys,
Any one else having there clear coat peeling? I noticed it today while washing my car that my bumper is missing some of its clear coat in a corner.
The car has 600 miles on it so it's still fairly new.
Would Ford be inclined to just replace the bumper rather than paint a new one? I'd hate to have the orange peel not match.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014
67cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starjammir View Post
Hey guys,
Any one else having there clear coat peeling? I noticed it today while washing my car that my bumper is missing some of its clear coat in a corner.
Would Ford be inclined to just replace the bumper rather than paint a new one? I'd hate to have the orange peel not match.
call the dealer and ask.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014
Banned

If it's just the clear they will probably just redo the clear coat on your bumper.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014
PONY Member

not on mine- take it back to the dealer.They probably won't change the whole bumper .

2014 GT- 3.73, MT 82, comfort pkg, roush a/b, f14 19x9/19x10 conti DW

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014
PONY Member

Garage
Take it in and have them look at it they will most likely redo the clear. Don't worry about orange peel I've never had a problem with.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014
PONY Member

Henson Ford here in little old madisonville texas makes the orange peel match, they will fix it right.

2014 Black 3.7 6M. 20 inch black bullets, Pypes Axle back, matte black super snake stripes, next up JLT intake.
2011 Mustang 5.0 Race Red. gone and was sick
2011 Mustang 3.7, gone sold 3 times since, that I know of.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014
GT Member

Most likely that bumper was repaired/repainted before you bought the car...even if you bought it new.

I was in a Ford Dealership the other day. Way way back, at the back of their long and deep lot, were subcontractors painting and doing minor repairs outdoors on two new cars....painting their bumpers. It happens, it's just normal SOP in a Dealership. And an 'adjustment' may have been made to the car anywhere between the factory and it's final delivery to the Dealership as a new car...even the Dealership would not know.

Personal experience: I bought my 05 GT when it was just under two years old. It's lst owner was a Ford Factory rep...one year. It's second owner/driver was the owner of a Ford Dealership...he drove it 9 months. I bought the car at a steal price. Noted the front bumper had slightly peeling paint, on it's upper edge, where it meets the lower sharp surface of the grille. I figured the entire bumper had been repainted at some point.
And just last week I accidentally rubbed the rear bumper past a wooden fence...some paint just rubbed off the bumper...perfect, shiny, non damaged black plastic showing underneath.
So these bumpers are made of a soft plastic material, which paint does not adhere to well.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well the dealer thinks I hit something with the car. However there is no scratches around it but he is sending it to Ford anyways. We shall see.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by s197gt View Post
were subcontractors painting and doing minor repairs outdoors on two new cars....painting their bumpers.
Painting outdoors? Now there's quality workmanship for 'ya.....

Maybe the OP can trade off the pealing clear coat for dirt and bugs stuck in the refinished bumper.
Beechkid likes this.
Apprentice

My brother-in-law bought a Nissan brand new one time. It was obvious looking at it that half the car had been repainted because in the right light, you could tell it didn't match. Made us wonder why. We always joked that it fell off the boat on the way over and was recovered from the Marianas Trench.

2013 Mustang GT Premium (6 speed manual, 3.73 gears, GT500 axle-backs, no resonators), 1998 Pontiac Firebird Convertible, 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2007 Honda ST1300, 2001 Ninja 250
Apprentice

If you push hard enough you'll get what you want but I doubt it will be a new bumper. As stated previously the will just redo it.
FordService

Quote:
Hey guys,
Quote:
Well the dealer thinks I hit something with the car. However there is no scratches around it but he is sending it to Ford anyways. We shall see.
Hello Starjammir,

Was this taken care of for you? If not, let me know what your dealer said.

Deysha
Rookie

I have the same issue but the dealer wouldn't do anything about it. They wouldn't do anything about the clear coat issue (seems to be a common issue) and I've been driving around with Takata airbags for more than a year because the parts aren't in. I'm not very happy with Ford's service.

I like my mustang but I'm embarrassed to drive around with a crappy paint job. This is definitely a paint quality issue from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	553625   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	553633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	751.4 KB
ID:	553641   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	567.0 KB
ID:	553649   Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	816.1 KB
ID:	553657  

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Certainly it must be a common problem... you only had to go back about three years to find an example thread to post in. I think you should file a class action lawsuit.
Kanistre13 likes this.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page