Does anyone else just cruise vs race their Mustangs? - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohhhhh View Post
Its funny as I'm reading the posts, the majority or all of us so far are part of the 'cruiser, with occassional spirited driving" group. How come in my neighbourhood the police often see a mustang and immediately "eye it" sometimes even when driving the opposite direction then doing the u-turn and follow for a bit?
i know they are doing their job, and its difficult and dangerous but ms mini van just whizzed by me in the fast lane and they didn't follow them.
We used to call it "profiling"

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Does cruising in a spirited manner count? I play it by ear...er...eye most of the time. If I can get by with barreling along for miles at a time, I'll certainly do it. Depends upon traffic and road conditions. Sometimes I just sit in the slow lane and lollygag until I run up on someone slower, then I pass and continue schlupping along. And then once in every blue moon or so I will shake a pest but 99 times out of a hundred I'll just ignore them. But if I had to categorize the great majority of my driving, it would have to be cruising.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Grimaldi View Post
The majority of performance car owners are cruisers. Some talk about racing but really don't. Then there are the few who actually do it.
This.

I have a '12GT+BBK, which is the closest to a track pack car that was available in 2012. I don't track the car at the moment because I'm paying on it still. Personally, I'm not an actual race car driver at all--but I have another car that I enjoy using for track (circular, not straight) events--like HPDEs. It's the only environment where i can take my car and drive it as hard as I can. You just can't push your car as hard and be as safe as when you're on dedicated track. One day I'd like to take the mustang on the track just to see how it does, but I don't want to make it a track rat either---I have car for that, and it's cost me a enough to get it into that position. Come to think of it, I'm still getting it into respectable track rat condition.

In contrast, the mustang, as it sits, is in perfect performance street trim and limited track use. One day if I get a vehicle that can tow the mustang and I still own the mustang, I may consider doing a bit more with it. But that's years from now.

Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Mine is my daily driver - so I guess I would be a "cruiser." I enjoy it each and every day!

I have not been to the drags since I was a kid with my First Generation Camaros. But I guess I would not rule it out - although I doubt I'll actually ever do it.

There is no way I would street race nowadays. The fines and potential ramifications are not worth it.

2012 GT M6 White 300A
BOSS Member
S197 Member

That's all I do is daily drive one and cruise with the other. No intention to ever take one to the track. Been there, done that.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member

Garage
Does anyone else just cruise vs race their Mustangs?

I cruise mine as well. I don't have anything to prove to anyone and street racing is just plain stupid and dangerous. I haven't even been to the drag strip since I was 18 (34 now) and had a supercharged fox GT.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD
PONY Member

I'm about to turn 33 and the last time I got a speeding ticket was 8 years ago.

My days of street/stoplight racing are over, the mustang is for cruising, I daily drive and there are plenty of twisty roads that are sparsely travelled around here, so that's what I enjoy.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I was out in my GT the other night. A cop came up behind me and pulled up alongside in the left turning lane. I figured oh oh what does he want. there were two cops in the cruiser and they asked me what modifications I had done to the car. I told them it was Procharged and they said so that is that whine we hear.
Anyways, they both said "cool" and when the light changed , they sped off in front of me and waved as they pulled away.
Not all Cops hate performance cars, some of them drive them , themselves.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member

After just two weeks with the 14 convertible 5.0, I have been cruising 99% of time. I am just surprised at how easy it is to drive with the top down at normal speeds in this car. Its a car that is actually enjoyable to drive slow, which I really wasn´t expecting. I think I tend to step on the gas pedal more with the 2010 GT because the exhaust sound is really awesome above 2000 rpms in the old 4.6.

Of course when I do have the chance I have stepped a bit on the gas... boy this thing is fast!

2015 50 Anniversary Package GT
2014 Race Red Premium GT Convertible
2003 Silver GT
1981 Ford Mustang Fastback
1966 Mustang Coupe 289 4V
15 years ago 1984 Ford Mustang Hardtop
Rookie

Definitely a cruiser here + daily. I will eventually build my mustang up to be a show car in the near future and at mustang greets with a local club. I don't have a desire to race let alone street race...plus it's totally illegal. Any track work I will do with my mustang will be solely for me to learn how to handle the car better.
Apprentice

Well I'm 26 and my '14 is my daily driver as well. I'm not really racing, but I anytime I'm not following someone, I'm having some fun, which for me is usually 20+ over the speed limit; so I guess that's not really cruising either. But I drive the winding roads of Pennsylvania, not congested highways, which is half the reason I got the car.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
SOLD -- 2014 Base GT 6 Speed Manual
PONY Member

I'm 54 and I've never raced anyone but I do like to get up to the speed limit in a "hurried" fashion! I pretty much cruise most of the time though. Depends on my mood or even the music I'm listening too. Every tank of gas can indicate on the style of driving I have been doing. 13 to 15 MPG would be the hurried fashion! 17 and above would mean cruising of course.
I love my Stang!

Ordered: 9-5-2012, Vin on 9-27-12
Window Sticker 10-8-12, Build Date 10-15-12
1ST ETA: 10-29 2ND ETA: 11/3
3RD ETA: 10-29
Delivery taken on Monday 10-29-2012

2013 GT Premium Mustang, Auto, Race Red, Brick Red Interior, Comfort, Brembo, Pedestal Spoiler, Shaker Pro, Side Scoops
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I am just surprised at how easy it is to drive with the top down at normal speeds in this car. Its a car that is actually enjoyable to drive slow, which I really wasn´t expecting. I think I tend to step on the gas pedal more with the 2010 GT because the exhaust sound is really awesome above 2000 rpms in the old 4.6.

The best thing about convertibles is they are fun even when driven slow. I've got a 350Z convertible and I catch myself driving like an old lady quite often. A convertible is 10 times better than a hardtop when cruising. Enjoy that convertible, those cars are stunning when the top is down.
PONY Member

I'm 65 and was a drag racer for 43 years. Recently sold all the race cars and related "stuff". I owned and raced all Chevrolet cars and Chevy powered dragsters . One of which was a 69 Camaro. I still need a "hotrod" so thought I'd get some modern muscle. The new Camaro is terrible so I bought a 2014 GT. What a magnificent car. So I still have something I can take to the track yet can go out to dinner in. Very pleased with my Mustang.
Apprentice

Im 30 and my gt is a DD and so was my v6 which was my previous car. I have fun on on ramps when alone but cruise all the time. Where I live in Utah there is a place called miller Motorsport with a track that does what's called "the mustang experience" on a track and can teach you how to drive on a course. I have never gone to do the "mustang experience" which is pretty pricy for just a few hours. However the same track allows people to race on it and have taken my v6 out there and have quiet a few videos. But I try to go at least once to twice a year but nothing in the new gt.

1990 gt: trickflow entire street kit, 36lb injectors, 190 lb fuel pump, c&l 73mm maf, bbk tb, 3.55:1, 17x8/17x10, koni struts and shocks, 130amp alt, etc.... (Too much extras to list) 296rwhp was stolen
2011 v6 280 rwhp headers, axlebacks, Bama 91r tune, airaid, tb, 3.55, many many mods.... Sold
2014 gt procharger stage two, flow master outlaws axles. 565 rwhp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page