why I like my auto GT better than a stick - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
Yes. You have medical issues that prevent you from enjoying a manual transmission. Im sorry for your condition(s) and wish you the most comfortable commuting experiences in the future.
Awesome! Sorry for the life story. One of those days yesterday.

Shift away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

I just traded my 2012 GT with a MT for 2014 GT with the auto this week. If I had my choice I would have kept my MT but stuff happens. But I must say, so far I am very happy the 6R80. I live in a hilly area and in normal mode it goes back and forth between 5-6 way too often like every other 6 speed auto I have driven. But in sport mode it's a huge improvement and easily the best auto I have driven by a huge margin. It may lack some of the pure brutality of the MT but I don't feel that like it's that big of determent to the fun factor.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
Damn man, I gotta tip my hat to you. There is no way I couldve driven my car on some of the snow days we had this year. I keep a beater 4x4 Tacoma as my DD and it got much use this year.
Yeah, I had a lot of days that looked like this:

Friend of mine with a '14 V6 did the same:

2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton Novi 2200 with torque booser and Lund tune, DW1000 injectors, JMS BAP, ATI damper
Lethal ORP, MGW shifter, BMR upper and lowers, Spicer 1 piece DS, Ram Single disk clutch with aluminum flywheel, Power leather seat conversion. Staggered wheels.

PONY Member

Garage
I've had both a tuned auto and now a 6m with 3.73's. They both have their place and the tuned auto was absolutely awesome. I'm not partial to one or the other but I am enjoying my 6m right now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
Yeah, I had a lot of days that looked like this:

Friend of mine with a '14 V6 did the same:

I actually find my manual GT to be better than my auto V6 in the snow

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
PONY Member

Whats the secret to winter driving with the GT manual? I found mine to be almost completely undrivable if there was even a hint of frozen crap on the road. I tried the stock all seasons and found out my summer tires perform equally as poorly in the winter as the Pzero all seasons......I had to start in 3rd gear just to have a chance of getting moving without extremely excessive wheel spin, found traction control/advancetrac to be useless. So whats the secret 5000lbs in the trunk?, snow/ice tires? or just drive the wifes suv?

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

Apprentice

If I drove in traffic I probably would have gotten an auto - especially now that the GT is 'shiftable'. 4 years ago I bought a different muscle car and bought an auto - with 'autostick' shifting. Pretty fun as I could wind the gears out and hear the catbacks growl. But the traffic by me isn't too bad and it's not a DD so I decided a manual was in order. I'll never be able to drive it as fast as an auto - my shifting isn't nearly as quick, but I find the driving experience so much more engaging and satisfying. We're pretty lucky that we are able to buy machines like these and that we're not stuck with the same cars as the late 70s/early 80s were 350ci engines were all sub 200 hp!

2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey, 6 Speed, 3:55 Gears, Comfort Group, GT500 AB, 3dCarbon Spoiler, JLT CC, Boss 302 Alcantara steering wheel, FRPP TrackCal, FRPP Brembos, FRPP Wheels
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundman View Post
Whats the secret to winter driving with the GT manual? I found mine to be almost completely undrivable if there was even a hint of frozen crap on the road. I tried the stock all seasons and found out my summer tires perform equally as poorly in the winter as the Pzero all seasons......I had to start in 3rd gear just to have a chance of getting moving without extremely excessive wheel spin, found traction control/advancetrac to be useless. So whats the secret 5000lbs in the trunk?, snow/ice tires? or just drive the wifes suv?
I just put on winter tires. That's pretty much it. No extra weight in the trunk. I'm able to start in 1st or 2nd without issue.

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundman View Post
I run Michelin Ice on my 6er. Great winter tires and very reasonable cost. The Pzeros were passable my first winter (which was mild) but useless the following year

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
Rookie

I have a manual. I got an auto as a loaner when my car was being serviced. It felt like a completely different car. Not all autos are the same and the ones in the Mustangs are lame. Coming from the VW world with DSG the Mustangs feel like 1995.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page