Hood Deflectors - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Hood Deflectors

I've been thinking about reversible solutions for long road trips to avoid rock chips on my hood and I just now came to the realisation that hood deflectors are both removable and not terribly damaging to the paint once installed and they are relatively cheap. CJ Pony parts wants $100 for theirs and it does not cover the surrounding area for the headlights. Where can I get a good one for <$100 in ?

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014
GT Member

One word clearbra!

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

As I've mentioned in many other threads, I'm not a fan of the clear bra. If I'm going to go with a more invasive solution, I will do plasti dip way before I do a clear bra. The hood deflector is my favourite choice right now since it is basically a bolt-on-bolt-off mod and it is relatively effective.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
As I've mentioned in many other threads, I'm not a fan of the clear bra. If I'm going to go with a more invasive solution, I will do plasti dip way before I do a clear bra. The hood deflector is my favourite choice right now since it is basically a bolt-on-bolt-off mod and it is relatively effective.
Yeah definitely plastidip or the deflector.
I would just plastidip the lip of the hood and when I get home peel it off.
Or peel it off when I got to where I was going, and before I left spray it back on lol.

MY RIDES
2013 Performance White GT Premium: Tune, CAI, Flowmasters
1970 Mustang 351 Cleveland: MANY mods and improvements
2012 Ford Focus: Rims, Steeda CAI & Tune, Steeda Pro Springs, Steeda Front & Rear Swaybar, Steeda Rear Toe End Link, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014
GT Member

Ok fine i have 1 more thing to add:

Go Habs!!!!

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteLight View Post
Yeah definitely plastidip or the deflector.
I would just plastidip the lip of the hood and when I get home peel it off.
Or peel it off when I got to where I was going, and before I left spray it back on lol.
Yeah, however I feel a deflector will do a much better job then plasti dip if a rock actually hits. Plasti dip protects from scratches, but the deflector will take the force of the rock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona stang10 View Post
Ok fine i have 1 more thing to add:

Go Habs!!!!
Yeeee boiii!

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
Yeah, however I feel a deflector will do a much better job then plasti dip if a rock actually hits. Plasti dip protects from scratches, but the deflector will take the force of the rock.

Yeeee boiii!
Yeah I was just saying either deflector or dip, I've heard to many horror stories of removing clear bra..

MY RIDES
2013 Performance White GT Premium: Tune, CAI, Flowmasters
1970 Mustang 351 Cleveland: MANY mods and improvements
2012 Ford Focus: Rims, Steeda CAI & Tune, Steeda Pro Springs, Steeda Front & Rear Swaybar, Steeda Rear Toe End Link, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014
PONY Member

I think he has a great idea. Who cares what it looks like, as it would be easily removable and only used for road trips. Maybe it could be secured easily without drilling or adhesive tape. Some kind of a temporary mount?

'11 GT Premium , kona blue stick, 3:55's, Brembo , Roush axle-backs, etc. + '95 rio red GTS
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightdogsbarkin View Post
I think he has a great idea. Who cares what it looks like, as it would be easily removable and only used for road trips. Maybe it could be secured easily without drilling or adhesive tape. Some kind of a temporary mount?
Don't they all just mount to the screws under the hood?

PONY Member

the underside of my hood has 7 holes in it but no screws. I just checked it out. May have to be creative on the mounting points.

'11 GT Premium , kona blue stick, 3:55's, Brembo , Roush axle-backs, etc. + '95 rio red GTS
Apprentice

Do these really work that well? Just seems like it doesn't protect much or the bumper which I think is the most important.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2000 V6 - Ruby Red Convertible
2014 GT premium - [Ordered (4/27/2013), VIN (5/17/2013), Window Sticker (5/29/2013), Built (6/11/2013), Picked up (6/18/2013)]:, Deep impact blue, Glass roof, GT Coupe PKG 5, 401A blue, Reverse SNS/SEC PKG, Comfort PKG, GT Track Package
MACH I Member

I've seen people taping up the front of their cars with blue painters tape from 3M...

And let's go Bruins! I

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightdogsbarkin View Post
the underside of my hood has 7 holes in it but no screws. I just checked it out. May have to be creative on the mounting points.
There is an OEM solution, so I doubt there should be a problem mounting. Just need to know which one is the best to buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger1988 View Post
Do these really work that well? Just seems like it doesn't protect much or the bumper which I think is the most important.

It does when you consider that it covers the area before its total height by deflecting incoming debris. IMO, the bumper is the least of my worries since it can't really rust and I could remove it and repaint it myself if I wanted to.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post
I've seen people taping up the front of their cars with blue painters tape from 3M...

And let's go Bruins! I
I was entertaining this idea as well, but decided against it since it will look stupid and will have potential of damaging the clear coat if left to bake in the sun for long periods, etc.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger1988 View Post

The bumper gets a lot of abuse on a road trip but the hood is more visible and valuable to me than my plastic bumper! I'd rather sacrifice my bumper than my hood to rocks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page