Ford Mustang Forum banner

Spoiler choice help wanted

9K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  amad 
#1 ·
Would love to know which is more popular the MMD ducktail or the GT500 style. I want to replace the small factory with something a bit more aggressive and would enjoy some input.

#2 ·
The GT500 spoiler is more popular by far. I like the ducktail on these cars too but imo the GT500 flows better with the lines.

#3 ·
It's up to you as a visual - some pros/cons-

the factory low one more modern, low key, probably does more for aero than the bigger ones
the bigger ones do block a little of rear view, the gt500 reuses same holes as factory if you are swapping.

#6 ·
I've been trying to decide the same thing. GT500, California Special, or stay with the smaller stock one. Hmmmm....

#7 ·
Thats a future mod for me as well, my opinion the gt500 spoiler is the best looking one out of the two, I have the california special as an option as well.

#8 ·
Get the Cali Special! I think the GT500 one hangs over too much.

#9 ·
#10 ·
#12 ·
That California special ebay spoiler is bull $hit . I would get an oem one. Notice how the whole thing is one solid color? The oem one has unpainted textured plastic and color on top.

#34 ·
That California special ebay spoiler is bull $hit . I would get an oem one. Notice how the whole thing is one solid color? The oem one has unpainted textured plastic and color on top.

I like the look of the solid color on my Grabber Blue CS spoiler better than if it had black on the bottom. $144 eBay one was great for me.

#13 ·

#17 ·
The GT500 spoiler is more popular by far. First starts it looks great, but it has also be available much longer than the MMD duck tail. Which is actually a reason I've recently been leaning towards the MMD duck tail spoiler over the GT500. I prefer the more unique look and stout lines it has.

Regardless, I don't think you could go wrong with either spoiler!

Shane

#22 ·
I ordered the eBay California Special one last night in Grabber Blue. I'll let you know how it looks when I get it.

#23 ·
Mine was Sterling grey metallic and matched perfect. just a make sure to wax it. there is no template but you match up the existing holes then drill 4 new ones. see the earlier pics in thread. mark with those strips. Drill 1 inch wide holes on inside layer of sheet metal. take time and do in well lit area.

#24 ·
I am personally getting the RTR rear spoiler when/if it ever becomes available again from AmericanMuscle. Its been out of stock for nearly 6 weeks now(that I know of. When I first tried to order it). It uses only the factory holes of the standard GT spoiler, so no extra holes are needed to be drilled. Just the spoiler of my choice.

#26 ·
I ordered the one on eBay for $144. I am very happy with it. It is a perfect match with really good quality. Here is a picture of the back 2/3 of the car.

Attachments

#27 ·
I got the gt500 one b/c to me it's hands down the best one. I looks really slick on the car too. Much much bigger than the small stock OEM but it's designed to flow perfectly with the car lines. It fits/looks 100% perfect on the car.

#28 ·
I'm not sure about the GT500 spoiler, but the GT/CS spoiler definitely decreases rear window visibility.

#30 ·
There is slightly less visibility with the GT/CS spoiler, but not much at all. I can still see plenty behind me.

#29 ·
GT500 in Carbon Fiber

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.