New(er) member about to pick up a '14 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

New(er) member about to pick up a '14

Good evening everyone,

I used to be a member here 6 or 7 years ago while I had a 2000 V6. I sold that years ago before joining the Air Force after college. I just sold a beautiful '99 Corvette after only owning it a year with intentions of picking up a 2014 Mustang this week. I guess after 7 years, I just missed them. Anyway, unlike the Vette (tough with Michigan roads), I'd really like this to be a DD and am trying to justify the GT. Anyone here daily drive theirs? I contemplated the V6 for its more frugal fuel economy and cheaper price, but I don't think I'll be happy long term with the performance, especially considering what I just came out of.

2014 Ingot Silver GT 5.0 w/M6
GT500 Axlebacks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014
PONY Member

Congrats- on your purchase and welcome back. I daily drive mine till winter you'll love it-it will happily run on 87, stock tune.

2014 GT- 3.73, MT 82, comfort pkg, roush a/b, f14 19x9/19x10 conti DW

Last edited by fiveohhhhh; 05-11-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF dude View Post
... I just sold a beautiful '99 Corvette after only owning it a year with intentions of picking up a 2014 Mustang this week ... I'd really like this to be a DD and am trying to justify the GT. Anyone here daily drive theirs?
All my recent cars have been dd's ('10 Camaro V6, '11 V6 Stang, '12 5.0, '13 Focus ST, and current '13 5.0).

I live in a snow climate as you do, so (at a minimum) A/S tires are a must. How far is your daily commute? If far, consider steel rims/snows. My mpg is ~19 right now, drops to ~15 in Winter (installed remote starter uses more gas but keeps the Stang warm!).

With a 'lil planning ahead, you can make a 5.0 a dd ...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 R/Red 5.0 View Post
All my recent cars have been dd's ('10 Camaro V6, '11 V6 Stang, '12 5.0, '13 Focus ST, and current '13 5.0).

I live in a snow climate as you do, so (at a minimum) A/S tires are a must. How far is your daily commute? If far, consider steel rims/snows. My mpg is ~19 right now, drops to ~15 in Winter (installed remote starter uses more gas but keeps the Stang warm!).

With a 'lil planning ahead, you can make a 5.0 a dd ...
My daily commute is about 25-30 miles round trip. Not horrible. I have an '05 Civic that I plan on driving through the harsh parts of winter. I had intentions of driving my '99 Vette as a summer DD, but I ended up putting 700 miles on it in a year. Hoping to put a lot more miles on the Mustang. After all, I buy 'em to drive 'em.

GT500 Axlebacks
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014
PONY Member

If you actually drove your Vette with the pedal to the floor get a GT, if you never drove that fast you won't need it. We have bad streets here in Chicago and tons of snow so a V6 was what I wanted (high profile tires) especially after having driven V8 Mustangs, Camaros, and Vettes through potholes and snow. I was able to make those V8 monsters work but I don't want to deal with cars like that as a DD. If it was a weekend only car a GT would be fine. If you want to impress people just get the GT , it eliminates a lot of annoying comments. I'll never have another car with low profile tires for my DD if I can help it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014
Rookie

I drive my GT daily without any issues, but you won't hear me judging you for driving a V6 - they are neat cars in their own right. If you like the '15s, though, the EcoBoost Mustang might be something to look at...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the input guys. Not dismissing the V6 at all. I've driven a few now and they're no slouch paired with the six speed.

GT500 Axlebacks
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF dude View Post
My daily commute is about 25-30 miles round trip. Not horrible. I have an '05 Civic that I plan on driving through the harsh parts of winter. I had intentions of driving my '99 Vette as a summer DD, but I ended up putting 700 miles on it in a year. Hoping to put a lot more miles on the Mustang. After all, I buy 'em to drive 'em.
My commute was only a few miles, so wasn't that big a deal on A/S tires. But your Civic is the best bet for Winter driving.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014
PONY Member

I've purchased a 12 MCA V6 a while ago also for fuel economy, but let me just say this. If you add up the whole year of your commute between the V6 & V8 I guarantee you you will only save $600-$800 of gas for the year. Also depends on your commute but people, including me think that we are going to save all this $$ and sacrifice the fun of the V8 for a couple bucks. Just not worth it. I recently told my friend the same thing when he purchased a 6 Challenger and when he did the math for his commute it was only $600. Go get the V8 and you will be happy you did.
Apprentice

Daily driver in Columbus Ohio 2013 GT.
just got stuck twice this past winter - both times in the driveway. Very long and it drifts
Plan to replace the Pirelli Summer tires with all-season radials in the future. Should help with the problem.
MACH I Member

I had a V6 that I drove all year. I traded it for a GT that I also drive all year. There really is no comparison. If you can afford the difference in price, get the GT.

The difference in MPG is marginal. With the V6 I averaged 10.5L/100 km (22 MPG) and with the GT I average 12-13L/100km (18-19 MPG) so far.

If you are going to drive it in the winter time, definitely invest in a good set of winter tires and rims. All season tires are garbage in the snow and summer tires aren't supposed to be used below 5 degrees C, let alone in the snow.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankee View Post
I've purchased a 12 MCA V6 a while ago also for fuel economy, but let me just say this. If you add up the whole year of your commute between the V6 & V8 I guarantee you you will only save $600-$800 of gas for the year. Also depends on your commute but people, including me think that we are going to save all this $$ and sacrifice the fun of the V8 for a couple bucks. Just not worth it. I recently told my friend the same thing when he purchased a 6 Challenger and when he did the math for his commute it was only $600. Go get the V8 and you will be happy you did.
Very good point and I agree with it. Obviously if you're doing 30k a year then get a 6.
Apprentice

I DD my 2013 GT.

The all-seasons were tolerable in some pretty bad road conditions this year but I'm planning on getting some winter tires next year. The Brembo and Track Pack cars come with summer tires (as do the V6 performance pack cars) so you will *definitely* want snows if you go that route but it wouldn't be a bad idea anyway. Even on dry roads the A/S tires can get skittish when it's really cold out.

2013 GT Premium 6MT. GHIG, Black/Cashmere 401A interior, Comfort Package, 19" 5-spoke wheels. Two boosters, one RFT card for my parking garage at work, daily driver.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all of your inputs. I signed the paperwork on a beautiful 2014 silver GT yesterday and will be picking it up tomorrow.

GT500 Axlebacks
Banned

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page