Got my insurance bill for my new GT Premium- Holey Moley! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Got my insurance bill for my new GT Premium- Holey Moley!

I picked up my new 6 sp. GT Premium about a week ago. The insurance bill for it came today and it has increased $600 a year over the Nissan Xterra the GT is replacing!! I called my agent who told me insurance for the Mustang GT is very expensive due to accidents and tickets Mustang owners accumulate. She suggested my wife and I should take defensive driving courses and we'll save about $200 a year. The courses are given at our local library and I assume at one point during the course we'll have to push the book carts around (safely).
BTW, my insurance company is Nationwide and I live in a suburb of New York City on Long Island.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014
MACH I Member

My insurance actually went down by $20 a month when I traded in my V6 for the GT.

It also depends on where you live. For instance if there is a large intersection near your home, the insurance premium will be higher.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014
Apprentice

That's crap. How old was your Xterra? Mine went up minimally from a Honda Civic. Although I am in mid 40s with no claims, a clean record and good credit score. Unfortunately w insurance there are a lot of variables that determine what you pay.

Silver 2015 Ecoboost Premium w/ PP

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Shop around and increase your deductible. Your deductible should be as high as you can afford, and you should save a huge amount of money in the long run, way more than the deductible amount in just a few years. The reason is that you're less likely to submit a claim, and the insurance company knows that and expects to save the cost of administering all those small claims.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

A lot of it has to do with where you live.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014
Apprentice

Mine went up as well, about 360 a year, I am over 50 and have a clear record.

Every man dies, not every man lives.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014
Apprentice

My insurance for my 12 V6 is higher than my dad's 12 V8 jaguar-_- I guess it's the age they really nailed me on. I'm assuming you're a little over 20 since you have wife and kids though:P

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2012 Sterling Gray V6
Steeda Ultralite* Tokico Spec D* Steeda HD Mounts
MRT Interceptor Mufflers

To relax, some people love to meditate. Some love yoga. Some listen to soothing music. I relax by hearing the roaring sound of my mustang carving through a curvy canyon road, inhaling fresh air, steering with sweaty palms, looking in the rear view mirror for cops, and speeding with a grin on my face.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014
PONY Member

My last car was a 99 300M. I was paying approx $1300? a yr w/ Esurance. Even when I started to work from home and mileage dropped to 1200/yr, there was still no discount. When I purchased my mustang I moved to StateFarm and it's probably around $900-1k now, it's insured more or less as a pleasure car since I barely drive.

That's with zero tickets (at 36yo), good credit, etc.

Esurance quoted me something like $1800/yr for the mustang. I told them to suck it and I moved along.

2010 Torch Red GT Premium. 5speed, 19", security package, HID's, comfort package, 3.73, American Thunder Flowmasters.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014
PONY Member

My 14 GT costs me $63 a month for insurance. It didn't go up that much from the 2004 Monte Carlo SS Dale Jr. edition that I had before.

Wayne

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks
GT Member
S197 Member

As the others have mentioned, there are a lot of criteria that determine your insurance premium, many of which have nothing at all to do with the car itself.

That said, in 1985 I bought a brand new Honda CRX Si and in due course received a whopping insurance bill that I thought must surely be a mistake. I called my then-agent and was told that not only was the bill no mistake, they were going to cancel my policy when it came up for renewal. Turns out that particular company maintained a list of "prohibited" cars with names like Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus, Lamborghini, Maserati .. and Honda CRX. A change of companies set things right (at a very reasonable price), but that was the last time I bought a new car without first getting an insurance quote.

When I bought my 2012 GT, my insurance went up $27/month for the exact same coverage I had on a 15-year-old Mazda Miata. Considered the Mustang was worth at least 10 times as much and has over three times the horsepower, I was surprised the increase was that small.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete

Last edited by Allez Rouge; 05-12-2014 at 06:19 PM. Reason: typo
Rookie

Why didn't you call the insurance company before you bought the car so you'd know the increase/decrease? I found out my insurance would go down with a new Mustang - that made my decision easy.

By the time you wait for them to send you the bill, it's too late. They pretty much have you where they want you.
PONY Member

You are getting bent over, did they at least buy you dinner first?

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

PONY Member

Garage
I would be shopping for a new insurance company!

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
Apprentice

I'm 41, live in TN, and have State Farm. Changing from a Smart car to the GT, my insurance went up about $10/month. Not too bad for 5x the engine and 6x the horsepower.

2013 Mustang GT Premium (6 speed manual, 3.73 gears, GT500 axle-backs, no resonators), 1998 Pontiac Firebird Convertible, 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2007 Honda ST1300, 2001 Ninja 250
Apprentice

Currently insuring three vehicles and the 2013 Mustang GT is the cheapest. The other cars are a 2011 Kia Soul and a 2012 Ford Escape. The Mustang is $100 a year cheaper than the other two.

Base 2013 Mustang GT convertible, MT, race red w/301A package, JLT air/oil separator, JHR shifter bracket, K&N air filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page