Racing stripe Rant - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Racing stripe Rant

So I found a local guy willing to install my lemans stripes, he quoted me at $120, which I thought was pretty fair. My stripes came in yesterday, nice 7 year, 3M stripes, CAD cut, these look great on the paper. I email the guy and tell him that they came in and I would like to setup a time to have them installed. He replies back late last night that he expects it now to be a 6-7 hour job and the price has now doubled!! Im like WTH!

How much are you guys paying to have your stripes installed? I need to check around with a few local shops and see what they would charge me. I had the install money set aside, but now with my sons medical bills, etc.. Im going to have to wait an extra month to have them put on. Needless to say, im not the happy camper.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

Just an old married guy (with kids) and two expensive hobbies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014
MACH I Member

On my V6 I had two matte black lemans stripes and two "hockey stick" stripes put on the hood. They were custom cut and installed by the same person. The cost was $300. He wanted another $300 to do the rest of the car.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014
Apprentice

I would try and negotiate the price....I mean he did quote you and you both agreed on the price.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Honestly in his defense, I think I can see where he is coming from now that Ive thought about it. I was originally asking for a single super snake stripe and now ive chosen to go with dual lemans stripes with a small pinstripe on the side of the outermost stripe. Maybe I can get him to come down a little bit. I will sure try.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

Just an old married guy (with kids) and two expensive hobbies...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014
PONY Member

Ahh, missed your last post. I would try to negotiate a little bit.

2014 GHIG GT Premium - Track Pack, Comfort Pack, Rear Camera, GT500 mufflers, Boss 302 Grille with stock fogs.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014
Apprentice

As someone who has a bit of experience with this I would say $240 is not that bad. I know to wrap the roof of the mustang, including material is about $250 from the guy I know. You are paying for the guys experience and you are not using his product. I know some sign guys don't like the 3M product so he may be factoring in what he sees as a "headache". Where did you get you stripes from? Not all vinyl is the same and it does have a shelf life.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014
Apprentice
Classic Member

We just had le mans stripes put on our 2010 GT and it was around $250 for labor. If he is good, that is a very fair price. There are a lot of little nuances associated with doing a good job.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014
GT Member

I had hood stripes installed for $75. The guy did a great job. He has a shop that does window tinting and is a real perfectionist.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleg View Post
So I found a local guy willing to install my lemans stripes, he quoted me at $120, which I thought was pretty fair. My stripes came in yesterday, nice 7 year, 3M stripes, CAD cut, these look great on the paper. I email the guy and tell him that they came in and I would like to setup a time to have them installed. He replies back late last night that he expects it now to be a 6-7 hour job and the price has now doubled!! Im like WTH!

How much are you guys paying to have your stripes installed? I need to check around with a few local shops and see what they would charge me. I had the install money set aside, but now with my sons medical bills, etc.. Im going to have to wait an extra month to have them put on. Needless to say, im not the happy camper.
I remember asking Magnum Collison with front to back stripes (hood to rear trunk) and they were like 2000$, Leman stripes seem to go from the bumper, cut, then all the way to the rear + trunk and bumper + cut, that is a LOT of work, though SUPER simple. It's literally like "tinting" a car. Just requires time for it to set after you get the bubbles out. Seems identical to the work I wanted done on my Challenger but 1.8-2.k for installing a DECAL? Yeah I'd rather have it painted. Reason I trashed the decals\stripes, clean look is also nice.

Labor is what you are paying for with decal, they lay it on, then drink a beer while making sure no bubbles are there. 2000$ equates to 20 hours of GOOD mechanic time in my mind (100$ per hour) def not worthy of it.
Apprentice

I was quoted 575 with them ordering the stripes, i go in for stripes painted on through a different guy for 500 on Monday.
Apprentice
S197 Member

It took me pretty well all day to install my own kit. He's not being unfair. It's not an easy job. It takes time to get them on right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	359041  

2012/5.0 Candy Red Tint,Premium Convertible , Auto,Rapid Spec 401A,Electronics package,RR sensing,HID,Accessory package 6,Active Anti-Theft,Power code Remote,19" wheels,Cloth top, GT 500 axel backs,RTR rear difusser,Roush lower rocker panel splitters,RTR lower chin spoiler, stripe kit, real burl wood inlays,rear tail light frames,chrome billet stuff in the cab,3dcarbon "E" grill and electronic curb alert.

Check out our web page @ specialtyrepairs.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page