Ford Mustang Forum banner

trade in value

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  jdmpwr07 
#1 ·
hey guys thinking about trading in my 06 gt for a 2014 gt . kelly blue book values my car at $14000.has anyone upgraded their stang lately and did you get a fair amount on your trade in ?

#2 ·
I was a local dealership with one of my friends to trade his 06 in on a 2014. Are areas might be different, they only wanted to give him $9k or so.

Once again I don't know your car or anything but he said the kbb valued his around the same price as yours.

I suggest you sell yours locally, in my area an 06 GT with (30k-80k miles) will sell around 11k-16k (ive seen one premium with 75k miles full bolt ons and cams locally sell for 15.6k)
if you buy from a private seller.

Put an add on craigslist or search your local craigslist to value yours.

Dealer use black book.

#3 ·
Depending on your car's condition and mileage, you should easily be able to get 12-14K or more out of it with ease - it is summer now and a Mustang would be alot easier to sell in May/June than Jan/Feb

Also, no one is going to get $14K in trade from a dealer for their 06 GT unless they are taking it in the butt on the other end for the sale price. The $9K figure is much more realistic.

#4 ·
^^^this man speaks the truth.

Try your best to sell the car separately from the purchase of the new car.

#5 ·
I suggest you take a lot of bad a** professional looking photos, get all the receipts for your maintenance( oil changes, tires, etc) and if you have any mods get the the receipts for those and include all of that with your car, if you find an enthusiasts you can definitely get $12k-$15k depending on the condition and some people like modded cars, if yours is modded.

#7 ·
I still stand by my assessment that a dealer will only give you $9k, $10k if your lucky...not anywhere close to $14k.

I suggest a private seller..

They (dealer)will look at what similar cars sold for and price yours accordingly. Best of luck with your sale :thumbup:

#8 ·
What condition level did you put into KBB? I suggest you use Good or Very Good, not Excellent. If that's what you did and you're getting around $14k for trade-in (NOT private party) then so be it. Walk in with the print-out and stick to your guns. If the dealership doesn't want to play ball then walk away.

For what it's worth, I'm seeing $13k to $13.6k (Good to Very Good) for a 2006 GT Deluxe with default options selected in my zip code, so if you have any options or have the premium then $14k seems perfectly reasonable.

#9 ·
Trade in value for your car in Ontario, Canada is $9,000 for excellent condition. Funny thing is that it cost way more to start with.

#12 ·
I also don't think you will get KBB or NADA for your trade. I've traded in 3 cars in 2 years and find I usually do well on the selling price and okay on the trade. I hope you do get 14K but I would recommend going to a few dealer sites and plugging in details about your car into their online trade calculator. It's probably more realistic of what they are willing to do. The age of your car says they will wholesale it but your mileage says they may keep it so it's a toss up. When you use the online tool you can use any fictitious name/email/phone so they won't contact you but that allows you to get to the page where they give you an expected range. I'd also print out Cars dot com or autotrader dot com adds for similar cars so you know what they may sell for. Take into account the dealer will probably price in a 3K or 3.5K markup for reconditioning, carrying cost, profit and negotiating room. That should give you a good idea plus hopefully some leverage to get top dollar. The problem I've found is it's just another widget to them. They don't care how well you've maintained it. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

#13 ·
Unless there are circumstances, it's definitely worth selling the car yourself, rather than trading it in. Remember, with a trade-in, the dealer will only give you a wholesale price, as they have to be able to make a profit when they sell it. You can ask a retail price selling it yourself, although typically not as high as the car would go for on a lot. If you don't want the hassle, check into local consignment shops. I sold my '99 M Coupe in ONE day at a local shop, and he charged me under 10% (and I still pocketed more than if I'd sold thru Craigslist).

#14 ·
Did you sell it yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.