Ford Mustang Forum banner

Transmission advice needed

4K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  SirJAG 
#1 ·
Hello, i am planning to buy a 2014 Mustang GT 5.0 basic model. I have never driven manual transmission before and i live in a city where there are alot of signals (light signals) and the occasional bumps. However, i read on many forums that getting a manual transmission is the way to go if i want to own a muscle car and enjoy the driving experience. what do you guys advice? should i get an automatic or learn how to drive manual and go with the manual. i tried the automatic and it felt weird using the tiptronic shifter by clicking as if i was playing some video game. but i am scared to buy the manual and get tired from it in traffic and start hating the car. help please :) appreciate all opinions

#2 ·
I bought a automatic because its been 10yrs since I drove a stick and had hand surgury and I love mine. I have power in every gear, powering thru corners is a blast and leaving everyone in my dust after red lights is effortless. Also I don't have select a shift as mine is a 2012 but take off traction assist and advancetrac and its even better. I think if your gonna drive daily get a auto if its a weekend toy get the stick (newer ones are easier then older ones). But honestly either way you can't go wrong.

#3 ·
Unless you want to track the car, get an automatic. In sport mode it really shifts perfect. I agree that the manual shift button is.....not good.

Get a tune and the auto is a monster.

Don't listen to the BS "real man drive stick"........real women also don't do the laundry by hand :):)

#4 ·
I did not know how to drive stick when I bought my GT. I had my father drive it home from the dealership and then I practised for a few days. Took about a week before I was totally comfortable but I was driving it around the next day. Having owned an automatic V6 and a manual GT I can tell you that the manual is definitely more fun to drive. Automatic is more convenient.

In the end you must decide whether you want a fun car or a convenient car.

#5 ·
OP. This is a very open ended question. No one else can accurately answer it, for you.
In the end, you will have to decide what you like better.
But since you asked, Ill throw in my .02. I have 2 Mustangs. I chose the manual shift for fun, and the automatic for everyday use. But if I had only one Mustang, I would have ordered the manual. Because it simply is more fun , to drive. :smartass:

#6 ·
Get a manual. I live in the D.C. Area and before that I lived in the Los Angeles Area - the manual is fine for heavy traffic areas. The automatic is boring to drive.

The current automatics in the Mustang are great transmissions, but to have a true sports car, you need a manual. No automatic or variation of can replace the feeling you get when you approach a curve at speed, downshift into a lower gear, bleed off some speed, hold your line through the turn, hammer the car as it straightens out, and chirp the tires going into the next gear after a seamless, smooth, shift and clutch manipulation.

Think of it this way... a manual transmission is like actually making love to Kate Upton and and an auto is like squeezing one off while peering into her shower window.

#7 ·
I have the manual and it is nowehere near as much fun as having shower sex with Kate Upton (or so I imagine).....

OP, the manual in these is fussy if you drive mostly in traffic get the auto but as Randy said this is a ? you need to decide for yourself.

#8 ·
As good as the automatic cars are, and the automatic is apparently excellent, I personally love to drive manual shift cars, so my GT Premium is a 6 sp. manual.\
For me the manual is so much fun but in the end, you must decide for yourself.
Good luck with your new GT- you'll love it no matter which transmission you chose.

#9 ·
I drive a 6M every day in DC traffic, the worst in the U.S. Quite honestly shifting becomes something you don't even think about, it becomes second nature.
If you plan on heavy track duty get an auto, but if you want the full driving experience get the 6M.

#10 ·
Can you rent a manual (not necessarily a mustang) just to try one out around town for a bit? When you say lots of signals, that doesn't necessarily mean lots of traffic, at least not on the level of places like DC and LA. If the traffic isn't horrendous, lights actually provide you with more excuses to shift. Having owned both an auto '13 GT and a manual '13 GT, the manual is by far the more enjoyable car.

#11 ·
I'd say get the manual, you only live once. I just traded my 2012 manual GT in for a 2014 with an auto. Long story why I needed to but I can say even though the auto in the 2014 is excellent, the manual is just a bit more fun. If you really enjoy driving, the manual is not that big of a chore in traffic.

Buying a car is not like getting married, if it doesn't work out then you can trade it in for an auto. The car won't hate you and seek revenge if you do so. :)

#12 ·
i learned on a beat up 82 Datsun 510 wagon.... i would hate to do that to a new car...ouch. I can still smell the clutch.

can you learn on an old car? I'm just thinking a clutch replacement isn't as cheap if you want to go that route.

It's not hard, just takes some time. But, get what you feel comfortable driving. Its your car.

#13 ·
Like I said above, I learned to drive a manual using my new GT. Nothing bad happened, and I'm not special in any way. I was just careful and did not get over-zealous.

If I can do it, you can do it.

#14 ·
I actually tried driving my friend's V6 2006 model mustang and it was a manual. i loved it although it switched off a couple of times on take off. when i say traffic i mean once or twice a week something like a 10 - 20 min traffic jam not more. I will in fact train on a old rented car for a couple of weeks before buying mine. I think manual is the way to go (not that auto is not amazing) but since this is the only time i might actually be able to own a sports car i wana make it count :D. thanks for all the opinions really helped me since the only thing making me scared of manual was the traffic and im sure 10 - 20mins is nothing compared to DC

#15 ·
Arent the manual transmissions having quite a bit of problems for people? That is one thing to keep in mind!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·
Arent the manual transmissions having quite a bit of problems for people? That is one thing to keep in mind!

Not really anymore no. The MT82 has its quirks, but there are fixes for most of them.

#23 ·
im still confused what the MT-82 is? is it the gearbox? shifter? [sorry new to this :(] Also, the 2014 has the MY-13 that you guys say has no problems right? i was checking out if i should wait for the 2015 and the body just looks awful and too scared the engine would have problems like that. My current car is a dodge charger and whenever i use the tiptronic i shift at 6k rpm so i guess what you were saying applies to me if that piece was malfunctioning at high rpms

#25 ·
I just know it refers to the transmission found on the manual coyotes. Maybe someone can clarify further.

And by the other forum members, it does appear to be fixed:)

#24 ·
I'm glad the issue is no longer a problem! Not trying to troll or anything:) I just haven't kept up with issues/resolutions because I don't have a manual.

I do regret it sometimes but I'm always drinking protein shakes while driving to school so that's my justification:D

#27 ·
I do regret it sometimes but I'm always drinking protein shakes while driving to school so that's my justification:D

Do you think that a manual transmission requires constant shifting so that your hand is never free?

#29 ·
I bought an automatic in my 14 GT because I have a bad left knee that doesn't stand up to a lot of clutch action. I also don't enjoy driving manuals that much. My fiancée has an 07 GT with the 5 speed manual and I really don't think it's that much fun to drive. I like driving my automatic 14 better. Since you don't know how to drive a manual yet, it's hard to determine what you like. I would find a friend with a manual equipped car and teach yourself to drive one before deciding what tranny to get. You don't want to make a $30,000+ mistake by picking the wrong one.

Wayne

#31 ·
OP,

If you dont know how to drive a manual and dont know anyone with one suitable for you to learn on, post an ad on Craigslist offering a $100 for anyone with a 4 cyl beater and a manual transmission willing to teach you how to drive it for 2 hours. Once you understand the basics, the concept is the same wether you are driving a 5 spd 100hp Tercel or a 400 hp 6spd Mustang.

#33 ·
This car has plenty of power, you only need the stick on a car with a small or weak engine. An Automatic allows you to focus on the speed and fun this car offers. My 350Z is a 6 speed stick and I love it but if I had to ever drive it to work I'd sell it. Drove only sticks for 15 years but only because automatics were only 4 speeds and had no manual control. It's 2014, get the automatic. I'll admit 10 years ago I was one of those "gotta get the stick" , " a real sports car has a stick" , "I dont mind releasing the clutch a few thousand times a day" kinda guys. I simply evolved just like the automatic transmission has.

#34 ·
I just found a friend with a manual transmission opel that will let me train a bit on it.

As for the auto, i tried it and was very dissappointed. When i shifted to the sports mode and went for the tiptronic it felt like i was playing a video game with those two buttons on the shifter knob. I loved the power on the car but without shifting there isnt so much fun in it. Auto's are great for convenience and performance wise some are even better than manuals. I tried the V6 manual stang and it gave me the "im driving" feeling rather than put on "d" or "s" and press on the pedal. thats why i am going for the manual. gonna go see the dealer today and put a deposit on the car probably. "Gotta have it green with black stripes, black spoiler and black rims!!!!" gonna be AMAZING :D

#35 ·
Awesome! Glad that its looking good for you. I forgot that you were overseas - you obviously have much more access to manual cars than we do in the States.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.