New 2014 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 damaged by dealership - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
 
BullittSS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Alpharetta
Posts: 117
 
Sounds like a perfect opportunity for our resident Ford representative, Deysha! Here is her official 'out of the office' thread, indicating that she'll be back on Tuesday. Deysha has helped out many members with various Ford service issues. For me, she did a great job tracking my car from the day it was ordered until delivery!

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ce-thread.html


2014 Mustang GT California Special/Deep Impact Blue/ 6-Speed Manual/3:73/Ordered 10-5-2013/Built 10-28-2013/Delivered 11-7-2013
Ford Racing ProCal Tune/K&N FRPP Air Filter/GT500 MGTCA1 Mufflers/JLT Oil Separator/Sound Tube Delete/BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 275/40/19's (all 4 corners on stock 8 1/2" rims)
BullittSS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
PONY Member
5.0L Member
 
Stangholio's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 413
 
You are definitely a lot calmer than me. My car gets damaged there and some kid tells me I am nit picking if I can still see it. IMO he shouldn't be talking to customers. He obviously has no customer service. As for the car. I hope it gets fixed the way you want or even better your do get a new car (with doors aligned already). Wonder if this is something Deysha can help with?


2013 GT premium GHIG. 6MT. Black int. Brembos. Corsa Sports. Jlt intake. SR Springs. BMR panhard. Pilot Super Sports
Stangholio is offline  
Apprentice
 
tommy9946's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: The North
Posts: 154
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcponycar View Post
You had 250.. This has 700.. They told me to go ahead and drive it around this weekend.. I am parking it in the garage and driving the Jeep.. I honestly don't want this car anymore.. I want a new car. Period.. I think I am entitled to it.. I bought everything.. Ding and Dent.. Tire and Rim.. Premium Warranty package on top of the Ford one.. Environmental protection.. I did all of this to protect the investment and they didn't. They ruined it..
Just be firm in your stance, and you'll get the outcome you desire. You are right--they ruined it. The more I think about it, and given that it's a purchase you wish to keep for a significant amount of time, I do think that's the only reasonable outcome that will make this right for you. I hope it is a speedy resolution.

BTW, I do have a college buddy in car sales. I text him to ask and he said from time to time they have cars returned for a variety of reasons within a few weeks of purchase (wedding present and the wedding doesn't happen, divorce filing, death, etc). He told me they usually require a restocking fee of $800+ dollars based on sticker/market for the cars. I think that's the worst obstacle you should face, and they should AT LEAST split that with you (and I think they should just take the car and not charge you a cent).

2014 Pony Package convertible l Deep Impact Blue on Black l auto (current)

2014 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 l White on Grey l Chrome 20"s l Navigation l Hemi (current daily driver)
tommy9946 is offline  
 
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
JBert's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Central Massachusetts
Posts: 9,236
           
How long has it been since you signed the contract for the car; and does your state have a "buyer's remorse" out clause?

Here in Massachusetts you have something like 48 hours to "cool off" and can change your mind, I think it applies to the financing. So that might be a way out, if they will not make it right.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
JBert is offline  
post #20 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
usmcponycar's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29
 
Thanks everyone for responding.. I took delivery on April 26th.. I don't believe we have a buyer's remorse clause in the State of Illinois. They are not very consumer friendly in this communist state. What I did do though is just go back to the dealership and told them I wanted a new car. And he told me he would do a trade in but I would be on the hook for that money. I said I would be willing to pay the mileage of wear and tear and that is it. He then said if the body shop that caused the damage is willing to take the hit he will do it. And I told him they are an extension of you.. I trusted you to protect my car and you didn't.. And now you are going to tell me that it's on them.. NO! It's on you.. Maybe you should pick your body shops better. And then he said they would take a door off another black Mustang and put it on. But I don't believe that is viable.. One, the paint will not truly be the same and two, some other poor guy is going to get that door with the damage on it and they are going to hope he doesn't see it. So, I am protecting someone else I feel.. Nicest vehicle I have ever bought in my life and I am dealing with this now.. I will have the last laugh regardless. Cause when I sell my Jeep, I am buying a pickup.. And it will probably end up being something other than a Ford at this point.. And that 2015 F-150 was looking damn good too..
usmcponycar is offline  
post #21 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
usmcponycar's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy9946 View Post
Just be firm in your stance, and you'll get the outcome you desire. You are right--they ruined it. The more I think about it, and given that it's a purchase you wish to keep for a significant amount of time, I do think that's the only reasonable outcome that will make this right for you. I hope it is a speedy resolution.

BTW, I do have a college buddy in car sales. I text him to ask and he said from time to time they have cars returned for a variety of reasons within a few weeks of purchase (wedding present and the wedding doesn't happen, divorce filing, death, etc). He told me they usually require a restocking fee of $800+ dollars based on sticker/market for the cars. I think that's the worst obstacle you should face, and they should AT LEAST split that with you (and I think they should just take the car and not charge you a cent).

And he is telling me I can't return it since it has been titled.. And he's probably right because Illinois is a **** hole!
usmcponycar is offline  
PONY Member
 
70monte's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Aurora
Posts: 349
 
I had a similar thing happen to my 2014 GT when I bought it last August. As I was transferring my belongings from my trade-in to the Mustang, I noticed some paint missing on my back bumper. Someone had damaged it while it was being cleaned. The whole situation turned into a big drama but long story short, the dealer's contracted body shop had to repaint my entire rear bumper.

My car is Sterling Gray metallic and everything I had been told and read said that getting an exact match on the paint would be almost impossible due to it being a metallic so I was worried that I would be able to tell the difference where the bumper meets up with the quarter panels.

The body shop did a great job and I can not tell any difference between the bumper paint and the paint on the quarter panels. My point is that the body shop will have a very good chance of matching the paint on the door so that you will not notice it, especially since your car is so new. My car sat on the dealer's lot for six months before I bought it and I cannot tell any difference in the color of the bumper paint versus the rest of the car. Mine was repaired last September.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. It sucks and I know how you feel to have to have a brand new car painted on.

Wayne

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks
70monte is offline  
PONY Member
 
JediDave's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 618
 
Garage
usmcponycar:

I would seriously consider taking him up on his offer to replace the whole door from another black Mustang!!! Chances are you won't be able to tell the difference. Additionally, you'll have a repair free door. A year or two down the road you'll forget about the whole ordeal and won't think twice when looking at that door. The dealer sounds like they're working hard to solve your issue.

Jedi D.

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
JediDave is offline  
PONY Member
 
Fatopotomus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 612
 
OP,

First off, you need to admit and acknowledge that a car, especially a common car like a Mustang GT is not and will never be an 'investment'.

Second, while I feel you are right in expecting to send your car to the dealer's body shop and receive it back undamaged, I think you are going overboard with the dramatics of the paint 'never being right again'. A good body shop can repair a car to showroom condition, with no issue.

Third, in less than a month of owning it, you have put 700 miles on it. That equates to 8-10,000 miles a year. That's basically daily driver status. If you think you're going to put 10K miles a year on a car and not pick up dings and scratches, you are severely mistaken. So if the car is going to receive dings and scratches over the course of the next year, whatever issue that may exist in your head regarding the paint not matching will be moot.

Fourth, the dealer is only on the hook to 'make you whole'. That means restoring your used 700 mile 2014 Mustang GT, to the condition it was in when it rolled into the body shop. They will not and you cannot make them switch out your car for a brand new car. Most reasonable people will take as fact that a professional body shop will be able to restore light damage to a car to showroom condition. So their offer to repaint the door is a valid one.

I wish you the best of luck in getting the situation resolved to your satisfaction. But I think you should establish reasonable expectations and allow the dealer a chance to make things right for you.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
Fatopotomus is offline  
post #25 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
usmcponycar's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
I had a similar thing happen to my 2014 GT when I bought it last August. As I was transferring my belongings from my trade-in to the Mustang, I noticed some paint missing on my back bumper. Someone had damaged it while it was being cleaned. The whole situation turned into a big drama but long story short, the dealer's contracted body shop had to repaint my entire rear bumper.

My car is Sterling Gray metallic and everything I had been told and read said that getting an exact match on the paint would be almost impossible due to it being a metallic so I was worried that I would be able to tell the difference where the bumper meets up with the quarter panels.

The body shop did a great job and I can not tell any difference between the bumper paint and the paint on the quarter panels. My point is that the body shop will have a very good chance of matching the paint on the door so that you will not notice it, especially since your car is so new. My car sat on the dealer's lot for six months before I bought it and I cannot tell any difference in the color of the bumper paint versus the rest of the car. Mine was repaired last September.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. It sucks and I know how you feel to have to have a brand new car painted on.

Wayne
Thanks, Wayne! It just sucks... I am in love with this car but the point to what I am trying to make is that they are cracking the factory seal and paint.. And when the warranty on this car is up, I am already going to have to worry about the quality of work on the paint job and whether or not it will hold up years down the road? I shouldn't have to have that worry in the back of my head with a new car, should I? And I will tell you, the body shop they are going to send it to perform the paint job is probably going to be the same exact one that damaged the door. They aren't exactly batting 1.000 here which is just adding to the empty feeling in my stomach. I am not trying to be an ******* at all but we are talking about a pretty serious paint job to an entire side of the car. If it was my bumper I would probably be okay with them painting it and proving to me the paint looks alright. Not skinning my entire door and stripping it.. Then, having to flare out my fender and quarter panel to make it blend..
usmcponycar is offline  
post #26 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
usmcponycar's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
OP,

First off, you need to admit and acknowledge that a car, especially a common car like a Mustang GT is not and will never be an 'investment'.

Second, while I feel you are right in expecting to send your car to the dealer's body shop and receive it back undamaged, I think you are going overboard with the dramatics of the paint 'never being right again'. A good body shop can repair a car to showroom condition, with no issue.

Third, in less than a month of owning it, you have put 700 miles on it. That equates to 8-10,000 miles a year. That's basically daily driver status. If you think you're going to put 10K miles a year on a car and not pick up dings and scratches, you are severely mistaken. So if the car is going to receive dings and scratches over the course of the next year, whatever issue that may exist in your head regarding the paint not matching will be moot.

Fourth, the dealer is only on the hook to 'make you whole'. That means restoring your used 700 mile 2014 Mustang GT, to the condition it was in when it rolled into the body shop. They will not and you cannot make them switch out your car for a brand new car. Most reasonable people will take as fact that a professional body shop will be able to restore light damage to a car to showroom condition. So their offer to repaint the door is a valid one.

I wish you the best of luck in getting the situation resolved to your satisfaction. But I think you should establish reasonable expectations and allow the dealer a chance to make things right for you.

Not real sure what side of the bed you woke up on but yes, it will be an investment so long as I take care of it. Any car would be.

They even admitted tonight went I went back that any paint job will never be as good as the factory..

Let me be more specific. I got the car April 21st, signed for delivery on the 26th. The car had 31 miles on it.. The dealership put about 10 miles on it. And I have driven it to that dealership back and forth about 5 times now at a total of 14 miles round trip each time. Not real sure if you saw I lived in Chicago, IL but I am assuming you are smart enough to know I will not be driving it in the winter and it is currently my daily driver because it's gorgeous weather out right now.

And, part of making it whole is also making the mind whole, wouldn't you say? After all, I did end up spending $36K on the car after all the warranties and added 'protection' options I took.


Lastly, I neglected to mention the original window on the passenger side door which was scratched. That, I noticed off the bat and they gave me one of those 'we owe you' vouchers before I even signed for the car.. And I did allow them the opportunity to make it right. They replaced it with an after market safelite auto glass window. And, since the 'we owe you..' sticker only said, 'will replace passenger side window', I had to fight them tooth and nail to make it a Ford OEM window. This dealership by the name of Golf Mill Ford in Niles, IL has failed from GO.
usmcponycar is offline  
post #27 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
usmcponycar's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediDave View Post
usmcponycar:

I would seriously consider taking him up on his offer to replace the whole door from another black Mustang!!! Chances are you won't be able to tell the difference. Additionally, you'll have a repair free door. A year or two down the road you'll forget about the whole ordeal and won't think twice when looking at that door. The dealer sounds like they're working hard to solve your issue.

Jedi D.
We'll see.. That's the only other viable option I guess..
usmcponycar is offline  
post #28 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
usmcponycar's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangholio View Post
You are definitely a lot calmer than me. My car gets damaged there and some kid tells me I am nit picking if I can still see it. IMO he shouldn't be talking to customers. He obviously has no customer service. As for the car. I hope it gets fixed the way you want or even better your do get a new car (with doors aligned already). Wonder if this is something Deysha can help with?
I hope this lady can help.. That would be great! And I am calm. It will get me further I hope. I told his boss and everyone else there that he is in the wrong department to be telling me I am nit picking my car. That, 'I shouldn't have bought a black car if I didn't want to see all the imperfections'.. Little ******* has balls too. I mean, I already have the Marine Corps plate on the car and I am not a small dude.. He was just cocky as all hell for his size.. You can be sure I am going to be telling the regional manager about him.. I don't want him to lose his job but I do want him to be reprimanded in some shape. Hell, maybe make him sit in a 6 hour class on service skill building.. Lol!!
usmcponycar is offline  
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
kenv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Levittown
Posts: 13,163
                     
I`d go with having the dealer replace the door. You are not going to have much luck in getting them to replace the whole car. I`m pretty sure you would have to "lawyer up", & then there`s no gaurantee you will get another car.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
kenv is offline  
PONY Member
 
Fatopotomus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 612
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcponycar View Post
Not real sure what side of the bed you woke up on but yes, it will be an investment so long as I take care of it. Any car would be.
No it wont.

A 2014 GT500 with 700 miles on it, in 15 or 20 years MAY be an 'investment'. Your car wont. If you want to argue this point, you may not be clear on what the term investment means or implies.

I realize you spent $30K on this car, and you are right to be angry at the dealer for damaging it. But this is not an appreciating asset - next year your car will be worth $5K less than it is now and in 5 years it will be worth 50% of what you paid for it. Its not an investment.

The rest of the people in this thread are politely telling you to let the dealer fix the car and move on with life and enjoy your car. No one is going to be able to tell that the paint was touched up. For all you know, your car was hail damaged during the weeks it sat in a lot waiting transport from the factory to the dealer to the point you took possession. Hell, brand new cars get cosmetic damage ALL the time sitting in lots. So it could very well be that there are panels on your car that are not 'perfect' already.


2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
Fatopotomus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1