New 2014 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 damaged by dealership - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
I`d go with having the dealer replace the door. You are not going to have much luck in getting them to replace the whole car. I`m pretty sure you would have to "lawyer up", & then there`s no gaurantee you will get another car.
You're probably right. I finally was able to talk to my Dad tonight, who is a pretty good lawyer, and he is pretty confident in his ability to have them swap the car out. But, I would rather not bother him. So, if they can put a new door on from another black Mustang, and I can't tell the difference in paint color, and the reflection looks perfect from quarter panel to door to fender, I will accept this.. I would say that is a viable solution. I have the factory paint and seal on the door and I would be happy again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
No it wont.

A 2014 GT500 with 700 miles on it, in 15 or 20 years MAY be an 'investment'. Your car wont. If you want to argue this point, you may not be clear on what the term investment means or implies.

I realize you spent $30K on this car, and you are right to be angry at the dealer for damaging it. But this is not an appreciating asset - next year your car will be worth $5K less than it is now and in 5 years it will be worth 50% of what you paid for it. Its not an investment.

The rest of the people in this thread are politely telling you to let the dealer fix the car and move on with life and enjoy your car. No one is going to be able to tell that the paint was touched up. For all you know, your car was hail damaged during the weeks it sat in a lot waiting transport from the factory to the dealer to the point you took possession. Hell, brand new cars get cosmetic damage ALL the time sitting in lots. So it could very well be that there are panels on your car that are not 'perfect' already.
But you never answered the question on what side of the bed you woke up on? And you're right.. There could be prior damage on it I don't know about. And, if it was major, it should be traceable, right? But the point is, I now know about this.. I am not letting them do that extensive of a paint job on that car. If I damaged it and I needed to get the work done, it's going to the body shop and that is going on the carfax report. But the dealer gets let off the hook? I think not..

And yes, it is an investment. It is the last year, I am afraid, that Mustang's will have their aggressive look. Not taking anything away from any other year, but there is just something about the 2013 and 2014 body that makes it look similar to the 68 fastback I always loved.. And if you're so smart about investing, you should trade at the merc or on wall street.. They can use people like you that know about what the future holds.. My car was built, almost to the day, 50 years after the first Mustang rolled off the assembly line. And while I know the 2015 Mustang is going to have the title of the 50th anniversary, my beautiful beast was truly built 50 years later. Take your time machine and go back to 1968 and tell my grandfather his non-Shelby purchase of a 1968 Fastback GT wasn't an investment.. Then, I will watch as his priceless car vanishes from his garage before my very eyes. Negative Nancy!

GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Are you going to drive that investment in you WINTER months,or are you going to store it for the winter????

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcponycar View Post
Thanks, Wayne! It just sucks... I am in love with this car but the point to what I am trying to make is that they are cracking the factory seal and paint.. And when the warranty on this car is up, I am already going to have to worry about the quality of work on the paint job and whether or not it will hold up years down the road? I shouldn't have to have that worry in the back of my head with a new car, should I? And I will tell you, the body shop they are going to send it to perform the paint job is probably going to be the same exact one that damaged the door. They aren't exactly batting 1.000 here which is just adding to the empty feeling in my stomach. I am not trying to be an ******* at all but we are talking about a pretty serious paint job to an entire side of the car. If it was my bumper I would probably be okay with them painting it and proving to me the paint looks alright. Not skinning my entire door and stripping it.. Then, having to flare out my fender and quarter panel to make it blend..
It does suck but you have to look at it this way. If you had an accident that caused the exact same damage, you are going to have some type of repair done to that door. The likely hood of finding a new black factory door would probably not be very good and that it would have to be repaired in some manner. Believe me, I was pretty upset about my car but I finally realized that it was not worth letting what happened ruin everything else I liked about the car. To be honest, the factory paint on these cars is not all that great and if you plan on keeping this car for a very long time like you say, it will probably have to be repainted at some point anyway

I only have about 5,900 miles on my car since last August and I already have two big rock chips on the hood from a rock kicked up by a truck and some smaller dings in the paint on the front bumper from who knows what. Like someone said before, if you drive these cars, they are going to have things happen to the paint.

In the end though, only you know what is acceptable to you and what we say doesn't really matter. Take care.

Wayne

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks
Apprentice

Don't underestimate what a good body shop can do. I had a black metallic car get smacked and the repair was done so I could not tell. Try the new door and see how good it matches. If. OT happy then have it repaired at a body shop of your choosing. They screwed up no doubt. But I seriously doubt you will get a new car out of it. Trust me. It can be fixed so that you will never physically be able to tell.

Silver 2015 Ecoboost Premium w/ PP
PONY Member

If your car is any kind of an investment in 20 years I will PayPal you 1,000 bucks. A GT500 might be, but a run of the mill mustang they sell 100,000 a year of, no chance.
post #37 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
Are you going to drive that investment in you WINTER months,or are you going to store it for the winter????
Stored for the winter, of course.. I can't believe that is even a question.
post #38 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
If your car is any kind of an investment in 20 years I will PayPal you 1,000 bucks. A GT500 might be, but a run of the mill mustang they sell 100,000 a year of, no chance.
Go back to '67 or '68 and say the same thing. You sir, have no idea what the future holds. Interesting there's a bunch of Michael J. Fox's here..
PONY Member

Quote:
Go back to '67 or '68 and say the same thing. You sir, have no idea what the future holds. Interesting there's a bunch of Michael J. Fox's here..
I don't think you know much about the current status of classic mustangs. A 68 mustang GT fastback with a 302, according to Haggerty, has an average value of $22,600. Only once you get into really rare status, like a 68 convertible mustang GT with cobra jet engine, does the price skyrocket. Sorry, but the odds of your car really being worth much in the next 20 years is slim to none. Frankly, the 2015 mustang GT will be a much better all around performance car than the 2014 mustang. Looks OTOH are completely subjective---some people LOVE the look of the '15, some prefer the look of the '13-'14 car, and I prefer the styling of the '10-'12 cars, myself.

But you never know, there might be a single person out there who will long for the days of a coyote powered mustang with a SRA--maybe that person will pay you gobs of money for the car.

The bottom line here is that you have every right to be annoyed by the dealer. Frankly they have no excuse and you shouldn't have been allowed to drive the car off the lot until it fixed perfectly. IMO, do not settle for a repair---demand a completely new door/door skin. THe tricky part at this point is the paint work--do you really want the same clowns who screwed up your door the first time doing it again? It might be worth the gamble if the car isn't taken to the same body shop, but otherwise, you might want to find a high end paint shop and pay for the paint work yourself--any place that does high end exotics or big money hot rods should be able to get the paint job right for you. Living in the Chicago area, I;m sure you can find a good place to get the work done.
PONY Member

Quote:
But you never answered the question on what side of the bed you woke up on? And you're right.. There could be prior damage on it I don't know about. And, if it was major, it should be traceable, right? But the point is, I now know about this.. I am not letting them do that extensive of a paint job on that car. If I damaged it and I needed to get the work done, it's going to the body shop and that is going on the carfax report. But the dealer gets let off the hook? I think not..

And yes, it is an investment. It is the last year, I am afraid, that Mustang's will have their aggressive look. Not taking anything away from any other year, but there is just something about the 2013 and 2014 body that makes it look similar to the 68 fastback I always loved.. And if you're so smart about investing, you should trade at the merc or on wall street.. They can use people like you that know about what the future holds.. My car was built, almost to the day, 50 years after the first Mustang rolled off the assembly line. And while I know the 2015 Mustang is going to have the title of the 50th anniversary, my beautiful beast was truly built 50 years later. Take your time machine and go back to 1968 and tell my grandfather his non-Shelby purchase of a 1968 Fastback GT wasn't an investment.. Then, I will watch as his priceless car vanishes from his garage before my very eyes. Negative Nancy!

Your car is common and it will go through the depreciation cycle just like any other car. You aren't driving a Lamborghini.
As far as your damage goes, the dealership is under no legal obligation to do anything but repair the damage. Your daddy might be a lawyer, but I promise they have multiple ones working for them as well as state law on their side. Take the new door if offered and move on.

2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton Novi 2200 with torque booser and Lund tune, DW1000 injectors, JMS BAP, ATI damper
Lethal ORP, MGW shifter, BMR upper and lowers, Spicer 1 piece DS, Ram Single disk clutch with aluminum flywheel, Power leather seat conversion. Staggered wheels.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
OP,

First off, you need to admit and acknowledge that a car, especially a common car like a Mustang GT is not and will never be an 'investment'.

Second, while I feel you are right in expecting to send your car to the dealer's body shop and receive it back undamaged, I think you are going overboard with the dramatics of the paint 'never being right again'. A good body shop can repair a car to showroom condition, with no issue.

Third, in less than a month of owning it, you have put 700 miles on it. That equates to 8-10,000 miles a year. That's basically daily driver status. If you think you're going to put 10K miles a year on a car and not pick up dings and scratches, you are severely mistaken. So if the car is going to receive dings and scratches over the course of the next year, whatever issue that may exist in your head regarding the paint not matching will be moot.

Fourth, the dealer is only on the hook to 'make you whole'. That means restoring your used 700 mile 2014 Mustang GT, to the condition it was in when it rolled into the body shop. They will not and you cannot make them switch out your car for a brand new car. Most reasonable people will take as fact that a professional body shop will be able to restore light damage to a car to showroom condition. So their offer to repaint the door is a valid one.

I wish you the best of luck in getting the situation resolved to your satisfaction. But I think you should establish reasonable expectations and allow the dealer a chance to make things right for you.
My thoughts exactly. A car that has been owned for a month and driven for 700 miles will not be replaced gratis for a new one. They will likely be happy to take it in trade for another one letting you take the full hit on the depreciation, which is more than 700 miles at any reasonable cost per mile.

2014 GT Premium Convertible - Black / Charcoal Interior, Auto, Brembo Brake Package, Rear View Camara
PONY Member

The liability of this damage may fall on the independent body shop the dealer uses and not on the dealer itself since the body shop is the one that damaged the car and not the dealer. There is also no guarantee that a new Black door will match the paint on your car as batches of paint can all be slightly different in color. Do you have any pictures of the damage?

Wayne

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
OP I know you love your car but they are a "dime a dozen" vehicle. I love my GT but I DD in all weather (yes, winter) and in a few years my 14 will be valued darn close to your 14, which will be a lot less than what we both paid for it. My suggestion, have the dealership fix it (repaint or whatever) and put it behind you. Mustangs are to be driven. A Boss 302 may be worth something in a couple of decades but not the run of the mill GT. Take it to your local drag/road course and have fun with it. After a few thousand miles you will forget all about this incident.

2014 GT: Race Red. Stuff added...
PONY Member

Your question might be best asked of a lawyer familiar with these sort of claims.

Honestly? I'd be guessing if I even tried to venture an opinion about what is seen as "acceptable" for the work to fix your vehicle.

As an Owner of a brand new car .......OF COURSE you want it....."perfect"!!

The real question here? How close to "perfect" would a civil court demand the dealer be as he delivers it back to you?

His comment that you're "nit picking" may or may not be considered reasonable.

I don't know the answer but I bet a lawyer familiar with this sort of claim could cut through the confusion VERY QUICKLY and if you're right about expecting nothing less than ABSOLUTELY perfect......he'd probably be able to get 'em to play ball pretty quickly.

2014 Mustang GT-Black-Track Package
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
The liability of this damage may fall on the independent body shop the dealer uses and not on the dealer itself since the body shop is the one that damaged the car and not the dealer. There is also no guarantee that a new Black door will match the paint on your car as batches of paint can all be slightly different in color. Do you have any pictures of the damage?

Wayne
Oh, I'd be pretty surprised to learn that's how it works.

Ultimately he contracted to have the work done by the dealer. He paid the dealer.

If the dealer chooses to have a 3rd party do the actual work where the damage happened then the dealer has a "claim" vs the 3rd party ........but the dealer is still the one that has to pay him or pay for the fix......

I could make the analogy to a situation any two people might get into.

If I borrow your Mustang and while it's in my hands.......it gets dented.......if the actual damage was caused by someone else......I could go after 'em or you could go after 'em......but you don't have to. You could go after me......I took responsibility for your car when I borrowed it.

I OWE YOU....for the damage.......You can bet money on the idea I'm gonna try to recover my loss from the person who actually did the damage but fixing or paying for the damage to your car is on ME!

I was responsible for it and if the person who did it won't own up to it and pay I can't say to you, "sorry but he won't pay.....I guess your screwed!" You'd win the civil suit vs me without any big effort at all.....because one thing is not in dispute......you lent me a dent free car and I returned with a dent.

2014 Mustang GT-Black-Track Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page