New 2014 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 damaged by dealership - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I am literally blown away at the number of people who think that there is even a remote possibility that the dealer would be liable for providing a new car replacement! If that were ever to happen (and it's about as likely as winning the lottery), it would only be the dealer making some sort of good will gesture - or as a normal trade in. There is no way you would ever show they are legally liable to replace the car. Their legal responsibility is to put the car back to the same condition OR to make a monetary settlement equal to the loss of value. That's it. They could offer you something like $1000 (or whatever loss of value is determined) and tell you to go away. If they can do the body work in such a way as to be unnoticeable (something a good body shop can do well) then that's all they are responsible for.

Your feeling that the car is not the same because it's been repaired has absolutely nothing to do with it.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

+1 my .02 is to move on. If enough of your enjoyment of the car is gone sell it. This falls into the it sux column but there are worse problems.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorydn1 View Post
Wow, I don't even know where to start. I was going to quote posts to start this one, but I would have had to basically quote the entire thread making this post even more ridiculously long than its already going to be-if one has questions, see the posts above.

To the OP:

Get it fixed and move on. Paint matching is literately an exact science these days that any body/paint shop worth its salt can replicate to the exact degree. Case in point:

We picked up my wife's brand new 2012 Kona Blue GT Premium on December 14, 2011. She was built December 2, 2011.

On January 3, 2012, some moron in an SUV thought my wife's front bumper/hood was the perfect place to park her vehicle: https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...v-drivers.html

$1300 and a new bumper, grill surround, 2 new fog lights (adjusting screws were damaged somehow), radiator shroud, and a repainted hood later, the car was as good as new.

Kona Blue is every bit as hard as black to maintain/match yet I can verify that one cannot tell the difference between the repainted hood, replaced bumper or virgin factory fenders. The paint looks exactly the same on all three places from 3 different sources and on two different surface types (plastic bumper, metal hood/fenders).

Other than the 2.5 years and 28K miles worth of stone chips on the lower front part of the bumper the car looks practically brand new today, wouldn't you agree?

Now to the question of what these S197's will be worth in 25-30 years, who knows? This discussion has been beaten to death here, and I more align myself with those who say "not much" when we are talking about V6's and garden variety GT's, and maybe a bit more for Boss's, and a tad more for GT-500's.

There is a major reason why well restored 60's anything with power commanded a pretty penny over the last few decades: The 1970's, that's why. Cars in the 70's and early 80's sucked so bad that people were dying to get some 60's muscle over any of the a to b appliances that were being offered up as new cars back then.

A lot of those people passed their love of the 60's iron to their kids (us) who continue to keep they hobby alive to this day.

Unfortunately, our kids do not appear to be picking up on that same passion-listening to the rumble of a V8 is quickly met with "What, I can't plug my Ipod into it? What a piece of %$#@"!

The only caveat I place on that is...how much will a car that looks just like my 2014 or my wife's 2012 be worth to my son in 2039? That would be for him and his generation to decide, not us. He may really covet a car that used to make him grin whilst his dad drove it sideways up a freeway on ramp (lol). Then again, he may not. He may decide he really prefers the fully automated car that drives him to and from work while he has the morning paper read to him by his Galaxy S36 phone, all the while the 2 cylinder diesel generator under the hood that is only there to charge the batteries is getting him 200 MPG. Who's to say??

Buying a car, any car, as an investment is not a wise investment. A car is a perishable item. Even when it is sitting still, it is still aging. Rubber ages, gets brittle, and cracks. Steel rusts, paint fades (etc). A great deal of time and money is spent trying to keep them pristine, taking all the enjoyment out of even owning them to begin with.

My wife and I, we daily drive our Mustangs. We maintain them as well as we can, and we keep them as clean as a pair of smokers are capable of doing. All the while we are enjoying the cars every time we start the engine. Life is too short to do anything but enjoy it, anything less than that is a waste.

To the rest of you:

I had been busy the last several weeks with testing for a software changeover at work, and a family vacay over the Memorial Day holiday week, so I haven't been around a whole lot. I see that many have been taking advantage of that with the way you have been treating each other, and the language you have been using in the open forum.

UGBFK me, REALLY?

It's ok, I am back, and I know who you are and I am, as we say in my real life business, eyes on.

Keep it up and a few will be in forum jail
13 paragraphs with pictures and once I figured out the UGBFK all I got out of this was Mrs Slo lets you park on the grass?

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.

post #79 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Golf Mill Ford - Niles, IL | Yelp

87 people reviewed them and they have two stars. Several people on there wish they could give them zero stars. I am highly upset I didn't read about them through Yelp and just counted on the few google reviews. Had I of read this I would have not taken anyone's word for anything. 87 people can't be echoing the same thing about this dealership because they are wrong. Furthermore, I find it funny that several people have escalated their cases to Ford and they have clearly not changed their deceptiveness. Makes you wonder what escalation does if the dealership is still in business and utilizing their same tactics.
PONY Member

Well, I'm guessing this thread will be locked shortly.....
Anyway, back on topic. I think what WhiteBird and Mud said is about what you are going to get out of the deal.
Either let them try to repair it or pay someone of your choice to do it within their budget and move on.
Any competent body shop guy should be able to make a clean repair.

Good luck with the outcome.

2014 GHIG GT Premium - Track Pack, Comfort Pack, Rear Camera, GT500 mufflers, Boss 302 Grille with stock fogs.
post #81 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcottrell6 View Post
Well, I'm guessing this thread will be locked shortly.....
Anyway, back on topic. I think what WhiteBird and Mud said is about what you are going to get out of the deal.
Either let them try to repair it or pay someone of your choice to do it within their budget and move on.
Any competent body shop guy should be able to make a clean repair.

Good luck with the outcome.

That is not right and it just lets them breed more incompetence. And while you are all telling me, 'oh, just take the repair.' The funny thing is, my factory paint warranty will be null and void after this job takes place. But, it's okay because the body shop will warranty their work. Nice!! And how is that fair? Anyone?
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcponycar View Post
That is not right and it just lets them breed more incompetence. And while you are all telling me, 'oh, just take the repair.' The funny thing is, my factory paint warranty will be null and void after this job takes place. But, it's okay because the body shop will warranty their work. Nice!! And how is that fair? Anyone?
Hey, I'm just trying to help, I feel your pain here.
I agree, the dealer does not seem reputable.
The reality is the best you're going to get is a seamless repair that you probably won't notice.
Anything else you're going to have to do through a lawyer.
Is it right, no.

I hope things work out for you.

2014 GHIG GT Premium - Track Pack, Comfort Pack, Rear Camera, GT500 mufflers, Boss 302 Grille with stock fogs.
post #83 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcottrell6 View Post
Hey, I'm just trying to help, I feel your pain here.
I agree, the dealer does not seem reputable.
The reality is the best you're going to get is a seamless repair that you probably won't notice.
Anything else you're going to have to do through a lawyer.
Is it right, no.

I hope things work out for you.
I hear ya.. Sorry man.. I am just getting annoyed of those attacking me right off the bat for being 'spoiled'. It got annoying there. I was just not prepared to walk into this pain in the a$$ from the word go on a brand new vehicle.
Rookie

Damn I'm glad I didn't go to these guys when I bought mine last year. Next time go to Bredemann Ford in Glenview. They got almost 5 stars based on 100 reviews. I don't work there but it took me forever to find a dealer I was comfortable with and didn't want to rip me off just because I was young. I'd say try to fix it. Any luck in trying to get them to just buy it back?
post #85 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PStarr View Post
Damn I'm glad I didn't go to these guys when I bought mine last year. Next time go to Bredemann Ford in Glenview. They got almost 5 stars based on 100 reviews. I don't work there but it took me forever to find a dealer I was comfortable with and didn't want to rip me off just because I was young. I'd say try to fix it. Any luck in trying to get them to just buy it back?
No sir.. They have not even called me after I told them re-painting would be unacceptable. They said they would buy it back if the body shop was willing to take the hit otherwise I would have to take the hit. Effing bulls***!! If I give you my car to drive and we have an agreement that you pay for any damage if you hurt my car, and then you let someone else drive it and damage it. Well, my beef is with you.. What you decide to do to your friend is up to you.. But, you are the responsible party and I shouldn't have to deal with your friend.. Agreed?
post #86 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PStarr View Post
And yea.. I am pretty pissed I didn't go to Bredemann..
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Actually, the repair would only affect warranty claims in the affected area. If you have a paint problem on say your hood or roof, it would still be covered by the factory warranty. That's only fair - since Ford didn't paint the door, they can't be expected to warrant it. The factory warranty on paint is only 12 months or 12,000 miles anyway so it's usually not a concern.

The bigger problem may be that the paint "treatment" that you purchased has already voided your factory paint warranty. The Ford warranty specifically disclaims warranty because of customer applied chemicals (you didn't apply it but it was applied on your order and not by Ford).

2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
No sir.. They have not even called me after I told them re-painting would be unacceptable. They said they would buy it back if the body shop was willing to take the hit otherwise I would have to take the hit. Effing bulls***!! If I give you my car to drive and we have an agreement that you pay for any damage if you hurt my car, and then you let someone else drive it and damage it. Well, my beef is with you.. What you decide to do to your friend is up to you.. But, you are the responsible party and I shouldn't have to deal with your friend.. Agreed?
That's not the point. The point they are trying to make to you is that they are under no obligation to give you a new car no matter who caused the damage. They only have to repair or replace the damaged part. What they're saying is that they will only give you a new car if the body shop picks up the tab because there's no way the dealer is going to. There's also probably no way the body shop would agree to that either - nor are the obligated to either - so I think you should make the best of the situation and get what you can... either another door or the best paint job they can provide (presumably from a different body shop).

2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
Apprentice

If I were you, I would take the new door. Ford did paint that, and the paint will be spot on since the entire process is done by computer codes and robots. The paint will be exact! Your door will still be under waranty. I'm currently, and am still a Marine for 16 years and totally feel for you brother. But the door swap will be really flawless and won't hurt the value of your car being that is a direct ford part. I really hope you take my advice and just be done with this whole deal.

2014 Saleen Mustang White Label 14-013: Vortech V3 supercharger, Lund Tuned, ID1000's, NGK iridium plugs, Airaid CAI, BMR upper control arm and mount, BMR lower control arms w/ relocation brackets, BMR adjustable panhard bar and support brace, koni sport struts/shocks w/ GT500 strut mount, GT500 Brembo brake upgrade, CS fog lights, Stillen chin spoiler, Barton Shifter and two post bracket, Plasti-Dipped hood vents, and various Saleen parts and accessories.
post #90 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsSaleen View Post
If I were you, I would take the new door. Ford did paint that, and the paint will be spot on since the entire process is done by computer codes and robots. The paint will be exact! Your door will still be under waranty. I'm currently, and am still a Marine for 16 years and totally feel for you brother. But the door swap will be really flawless and won't hurt the value of your car being that is a direct ford part. I really hope you take my advice and just be done with this whole deal.
Semper Fi, brother.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page