Help: 2013/2014 V6 Price Reduction Expectation/Purchasing Advice - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Smile Help: 2013/2014 V6 Price Reduction Expectation/Purchasing Advice

Long time lurker, future (hopefully) official member

Background:
Recently graduated from University of Texas-Austin (hook em'!) and about to enter a Medical Laboratory Science Program in Fort Worth. I am currently ~2 weeks away from pulling the trigger on purchasing my first car and first mustang!

Question:
With this purchase also being my first car that I will 'own' own I wanted to do my homework and get the forum's opinion on what I should expect to pay for a new 2013/14 Base Model V6.

Reason for the V6:
My personal budget will be 17-19k out the door. I will be using the Mustang as a daily driver and hope to keep it through Medical School ~4-5 years down the line. Reason I am keen to the base 1) It seems to be cheaper, 2) modding is something I look forward to and would like to use the saved $ into exactly what I want to improve. I would like to purchase brand new for the full warranty and expectation to keep this car for 4+ years.

Considering the incoming 2015 model as well as the current rebates I expect to find good deals in the market, but I wanted to know how good will they be. The location I will be car searching is Houston with a 150 mile radius.

I appreciate the help and hope to be a contributing member to this forum!!

P.S.
My responsible side keeps drawing me back to considering on purchasing a used Mini Cooper S

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014
Apprentice

Awesome! I hope your responsible side doesn't convince you not to get a stang!! You won't regret it!

As for price, I'm doubtful that you can pick up a brand new one for 17-19k out the door. The invoice price is 21k so I'd be happy if I can pay the invoice price out the door. Maybe other members have been able to pay less than the invoice?

Yeah going the stock route and then modding is the way to go! Seems like you're on a budget (like I was) so there's no need to get the premium package with the leather seats. The rest you can upgrade easily on your own

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2012 Sterling Gray V6
Steeda Ultralite* Tokico Spec D* Steeda HD Mounts
MRT Interceptor Mufflers

To relax, some people love to meditate. Some love yoga. Some listen to soothing music. I relax by hearing the roaring sound of my mustang carving through a curvy canyon road, inhaling fresh air, steering with sweaty palms, looking in the rear view mirror for cops, and speeding with a grin on my face.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014
Apprentice

Also, if you want to save money, why not get a used 2013 stang? You'll have more cash for mods

2012 Sterling Gray V6
Steeda Ultralite* Tokico Spec D* Steeda HD Mounts
MRT Interceptor Mufflers

To relax, some people love to meditate. Some love yoga. Some listen to soothing music. I relax by hearing the roaring sound of my mustang carving through a curvy canyon road, inhaling fresh air, steering with sweaty palms, looking in the rear view mirror for cops, and speeding with a grin on my face.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014
PONY Member

First of all "Invoice" is not what the dealer pays for the car. The "Holdback" is not the only other way the dealer gets additional money off of their purchase price. Think of "Invoice" as the New MSRP and deal from there. Only the owner of the dealer knows what the car cost them, none of us has a clue.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitownpete View Post
First of all "Invoice" is not what the dealer pays for the car. The "Holdback" is not the only other way the dealer gets additional money off of their purchase price. Think of "Invoice" as the New MSRP and deal from there. Only the owner of the dealer knows what the car cost them, none of us has a clue.
Thanks for the feedback fad and Chi!

I am definitely looking for both used and new models. However, based on my research the last few weeks, the current rebates totaling ~3.5k puts the price of a new car (based on the invoice price) close to the prevailing used internet market price.

Currently there is a new base v6 available for $18,261 in a nearby dealership.

Would a 17.5k out the door price be a fair offer and realistic offer?

Also, after browsing these forums, the active and friendly community has definitely swayed me towards going towards the mustang family versus the more sensible cooper s. Can't wait to join the ranks!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014
PONY Member

Base V6 is a great daily driver car, pretty much you are only missing "leather" seats and the fancier audio systems compared to the premium V6 in terms of "main" differences. And as you mention you can mod the car with the things you want.

Good luck with the search, you should be able to find good deals on the last 2014s

2015 50 Anniversary Package GT
2014 Race Red Premium GT Convertible
2003 Silver GT
1981 Ford Mustang Fastback
1966 Mustang Coupe 289 4V
15 years ago 1984 Ford Mustang Hardtop
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadkarr View Post
Awesome! I hope your responsible side doesn't convince you not to get a stang!! You won't regret it!

As for price, I'm doubtful that you can pick up a brand new one for 17-19k out the door. The invoice price is 21k so I'd be happy if I can pay the invoice price out the door. Maybe other members have been able to pay less than the invoice?

Please stick to talking about what you know.

OP, you MOST CERTAINLY can get a base V6 coupe M6 for 17-19k OTD (likely closer to 19K) and it is in fact one of the best deals in the automotive world right now.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014
PONY Member

I know this particular dealer kinda plays games with their prices, but they have a ton of V6 coupes listed at $17,xxx.

New 2014 Ford Mustang V6 For Sale in Sterling, VA | Vin: 1ZVBP8AM6E5315462

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014
Apprentice

Shouldn't be hard to grab one close to $19k OTD depending on how taxes and fees work in your state. As for the one ad $18.2, kind of doubtful that an OTD offer of $17.5 would be accepted. There's no better deal on the planet right now than a base V6. Anything. With a starting price in the 17's is a no brainer.

I looked at used Mini's too before pulling the trigger on my Mustang. Fun car, but scan the forums about service issues and you might change your mind, especially if you're on a budget. Keep in mind they're essentially a BMW. Parts and service are priced accordingly.

2014 V6 Manual
PONY Member

On a base V6 about 5k off is about the best you will do. Most advertised prices that are way cheap are B.S. I don't have time to explain all the misc scams that are hidden until you've spent a few hours at the dealer and are in the office ready to sign away. I've purchased 13 cars in the last 15 years and walked away from about 2/3rds of the dealers I went to when they tried to play a last minute trick. The 11 dealers I bought 13 new cars from were honest and upfront. If a dealer refuses to give you a quote and tries the old "Come in and we'll talk" be ready for a mediocre deal at best. They will try to beat you down, waste your time, and tire you out so you just say F it and pay their price. I tell dealers I won't come to talk, I will only come in to buy. I rarely waste time at dealers anymore.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks again for all the responses. As a first time buyer, the insight you guys have given really do mean a lot.

On that note, the day(s) is finally here to go out and get my own pony! I finally decided, after 2 weeks of research, that you really cannot beat the value of the base '14 V6 in both the used and new category in the 17-20k price point. Knowing that I will be owning this car long term as a daily driver: warranty, reliability and (to be honest) fun factor are my main buying points and the mustang fit the bill.

I have one car in mind (Plan A) that is Oxford White with Charcoal Black listed at 18.4k. My conservative target price will be 18.2 OTD with hopes to get it at 18k OTD (if not lower). With the impending release of the 2015 stock, is this a reasonable target price?

With my binder of figures, true car values, quotes/breakdowns, is there any last minute advice to take with me to the dealers?
Apprentice

No matter how much research and hardball walk a way negotiations, I've always felt I should have brought some surgilube with me when buying a car. Good luck and post some pics of your ride.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampogi View Post
Thanks again for all the responses. As a first time buyer, the insight you guys have given really do mean a lot.

On that note, the day(s) is finally here to go out and get my own pony! I finally decided, after 2 weeks of research, that you really cannot beat the value of the base '14 V6 in both the used and new category in the 17-20k price point. Knowing that I will be owning this car long term as a daily driver: warranty, reliability and (to be honest) fun factor are my main buying points and the mustang fit the bill.

I have one car in mind (Plan A) that is Oxford White with Charcoal Black listed at 18.4k. My conservative target price will be 18.2 OTD with hopes to get it at 18k OTD (if not lower). With the impending release of the 2015 stock, is this a reasonable target price?

With my binder of figures, true car values, quotes/breakdowns, is there any last minute advice to take with me to the dealers?
The base V6 is a great choice for all the reasons you mentioned, however I would strongly consider the Tech package (SYNC, power seat, fog lights, auto-dim mirror) unless you have plans to go aftermarket later on, as it's very reasonably priced and helps ease the daily grind of commuting.

18K OTD will be pretty tough, the prices you see advertised are usually inclusive of all possible cash incentives (even ones you may not be eligible for, like the Competitive Lease Conquest $1,000 rebate). I think Ford is putting about $3,000 on the hood today, so if you take a starting point of $21,000 (which is below invoice and doesn't include destination), subtract the $3,000 in incentives, and add in TTL you'd be looking at around $19,500 OTD, so $18k would require the dealer to sell the car at around $2,000 under invoice.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxpress View Post
The base V6 is a great choice for all the reasons you mentioned, however I would strongly consider the Tech package (SYNC, power seat, fog lights, auto-dim mirror) unless you have plans to go aftermarket later on, as it's very reasonably priced and helps ease the daily grind of commuting.

18K OTD will be pretty tough, the prices you see advertised are usually inclusive of all possible cash incentives (even ones you may not be eligible for, like the Competitive Lease Conquest $1,000 rebate). I think Ford is putting about $3,000 on the hood today, so if you take a starting point of $21,000 (which is below invoice and doesn't include destination), subtract the $3,000 in incentives, and add in TTL you'd be looking at around $19,500 OTD, so $18k would require the dealer to sell the car at around $2,000 under invoice.
Currently doing online negotiations before I set out to the dealers. The general market price out the door is in fact $19-19.5k. I am currently trying to press to go under $19k and will hopefully hear back soon.

I am really excited that the wheels are finally turning and will soon be a proper member! Trying my best to keep emotions out of negotiations and ensure I get the best value for my money (ie. 22 year old college kid still going to school and planning to pay for the purchase myself) so every penny counts/I have always been about getting most out of your money.

I'll report back soon and hopefully have pictures by tonight
PONY Member

autonationfordaty see website inventory for price and go see Janie green, New 2014 Ford Mustang V6

2014 Black 3.7 6M. 20 inch black bullets, Pypes Axle back, matte black super snake stripes, next up JLT intake.
2011 Mustang 5.0 Race Red. gone and was sick
2011 Mustang 3.7, gone sold 3 times since, that I know of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page