Ford Mustang Forum banner

Front end bra

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  TheWhiteLight 
#1 ·
Got a quick question. I recently purchased a front oem gt bra from ford dealer. Says "Mustang GT" on the bra part that goes onto the hood. Directions say 2010 gt, so same hood as my '11gt . Problem is it seems a lil short and doesnt fit snug from one corner of the hood to the other because it will not reach at all. Even had dad help me. Purchased it for long road trips to car shows that are on back roads. Really wanted to use it for big show tomorrow
Who has had this problem with this bra or may it be a wrong piece

Thanks

#2 ·
From what I have read about these types of bras, you need to soak them in water and then stretch them to fit on your car. They need to be really tight or they will scratch up the paint.

#3 ·
Crap, N ugh hate ford directions. No water in there and pretty vague at what they show. Bras should take cpl mins on and off same with the other bras lol.
Looking at mayb returning it since the s hooks seem to plastic and requires some different screws to add, I just have seen the Colgan custom bras with no tools needed and padded s hooks.

#4 ·
I'm on my 15th Mustang since high school (1979) and have used many different model of front end covers....I stopped using them years ago. The reason being is that they all tend to mark up/scratch the paint in one way or another. Additionally, if there is a big rain and then the sun comes out and it's real hot, the water underneath the cover may not evaporate quickly enough causing clouding of the paint.

With that said, my daughter has had an OEM front cover on her Honda Civic for 2 years without any damage so go figure!! Nevertheless, I won't use them. I prefer instead to just drive my car until the chips rack up to the point where it really bothers me, usually three or four years, and then take it to my local body shop and have him sand it down and respray it for $500.00.

If you're really committed on getting a front end cover check out Covercraft Industries - Custom Car Covers - Custom Seat Covers - Custom Sunscreens - Custom Bras one of the best bras out there.

Jedi D.

#5 ·
Thanks Jedi,
Yeah I know the bras tend to do that for me it wont be on that long I am just tired of the drivers where I live cutting me off on the highway while following cruise club and then dogging it kicking stones up plus loose gravel seems city roads dont pick up. That bra has struck my fancy by covercraft dad has one for his 32 chevy and loves it for long trips plus seems to be easy on and off. Padded s hooks too.

#6 ·
I have used many bras in the past and never heard of soaking them to make them fit. Quite the opposite - all the instructions have always said to dry them as soon as possible including removing from the car if necessary. Leaving a wet bra on the car for too long will cause paint problems.

They are designed to fit tightly to keep them from moving and thus rubbing on the paint. Normally you would use heat to make it go on. Lay it out on the driveway in direct sunlight for an hour or so before installing. The warm vinyl will stretch much easier and you should be able to pull it to fit the corners of your hood.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet but a clear bra will protect the front of your car for about the same $500 it costs to repaint and it is virtually invisible unless you're up close so it doesn't have that '80s look of a vinyl bra. Protects against chips and is much easier to clean bug guts from without paint damage (the love bug invasion twice a year here in Florida can destroy your paint in short order).

#7 ·
We used a LaBra for our mustang on a recent road trip. The straps over the lights stretched after about 500 miles and rubbed the lenses causing quite a lot of damage. At the same time a small stone got under the bra and caused 5 or 6 gouges in the paint so the car ended up with far more damage than if we hadn't used one!!!

#9 ·
+1 on the other bras sucking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.