Quote for shock / strut install. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA2011 View Post
III. I'm 51 years old, well aware what $400 looks like, married with a wife and 5 kids and LOTS of other stuff to keep me busy besides learning to do something and buying toos for a task I will likely never do again.

I am aware I have the option to do the job myself and if I wanted to, I wouldn't have asked about the quoted price. I'd rather pay someone else and have the day for other stuff.

I'm not sure why some here need to be all high and mighty on DIY and condescending towards those of us who choose to pay others to do certain jobs on our cars.

</rant>
Sorry, did not mean to condescend.

I see your point. Im in my 30's and there are days which just the thought of pulling out the floor jack, jackstands, and tools to do something to the car makes my back and legs protest.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

For some of us, wrenching on our cars is our hobby and our passion. For others it is a necessary evil. And for the rest it is something to avoid whenever it is possible to pay someone else to do it. To each his own.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Apprentice

"I see your point. Im in my 30's and there are days which just the thought of pulling out the floor jack, jackstands, and tools to do something to the car makes my back and legs protest."

Amen brother.

2014 GT: Race Red. Stuff added...

PONY Member

I was quoted more at a shop near me to have shocks/struts/spring/rear panhard bar installed on my '12 GT. I did it myself though. It's really quite easy. If you're going through the trouble of putting in new shocks, you may want to consider doing springs while you're in there.

Not being a pro and being the first time I worked on any mustang, replacing the rear shocks/spring+panhard bar install took me an hour. I was also taking my time. The fronts probably took me 45 mins per side--again, taking my time, never having worked on a mustang or Ford before. I would say that anything <$300 is probably where you want to be if the shop is being close to honest with the hours they're charging. But it will all depend on the shop--I take my cars to a very expensive indy shop because I think they're worth the price. They do a lot of track prep for BMWs, Ferrari's, Porsche, and they also do a lot of the overflow installs for American Muscle. If I can't do it myself, I want to take it to a shop where I know I won't have to worry about some guy half assing the work, rushing, or just trying to get by. That's also why I don't let them do easy things for me either---they cost too much for that!
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
Sorry, did not mean to condescend.

I see your point. Im in my 30's and there are days which just the thought of pulling out the floor jack, jackstands, and tools to do something to the car makes my back and legs protest.
Fair enough.

There are plenty of things I do myself on the car and around the house. But I pick and choose my battles depending if it is worth my time / frustration / investment or something I'm not comfortable with being too far over my head. Im more than willing to take on new challenges but in the end, it comes down to practicality, not laziness.

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
Site Sponsor

I see you're not interested in doing the job yourself, which is completely fine. To answer your original question, I think a $400 charge is reasonable for a shop in NY. I imagine the area in NY you're in, is not known for having the lowest costs of living, which is typically reflected in labor fees. For a 2hr job, $400 does not surprise me. Especially if you trust this shop and know they have a solid reputation.

That being said, I'd see what they can do for an alignment afterwards. Maybe you'll get an even better deal!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thanks Shane. I was about to order these from you but saw last night the rears are out of stock. Any idea on restock timeframe?

Apprentice

My friend found a guy on Craigslist that works on cars in his garage (..I know). Since he took all the risk by going first (and came out happy), I decided to go there as well. Took 1 hour tops. And charged me $120 for the shocks, struts, springs, CC plates, and panhard bar. He did a good job too!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2012 Sterling Gray V6
Steeda Ultralite* Tokico Spec D* Steeda HD Mounts
MRT Interceptor Mufflers

To relax, some people love to meditate. Some love yoga. Some listen to soothing music. I relax by hearing the roaring sound of my mustang carving through a curvy canyon road, inhaling fresh air, steering with sweaty palms, looking in the rear view mirror for cops, and speeding with a grin on my face.
Apprentice

I had shocks, struts, springs, strut mounts & an alignment done for $325.90 out the door.

Ordered 3/7/11 2012 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, Kona Blue Metallic, Stone Interior, 400A, 6-Spd Manual, HID/Security Pkg., 3.55 LTD Slip, Comfort Pkg., Brembo Brake Pkg., Rear Video Camera.
VIN# 5/13/11
Window Sticker Published 5/20/11
Build Date 5/26/11
Delivery Date 6/6/11 Changed to 6/12/11
Delivered 7/1/11
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadkarr View Post
My friend found a guy on Craigslist that works on cars in his garage (..I know). Since he took all the risk by going first (and came out happy), I decided to go there as well. Took 1 hour tops. And charged me $120 for the shocks, struts, springs, CC plates, and panhard bar. He did a good job too!

I find that 1 hour number very hard to believe.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA2011 View Post
Thanks Shane. I was about to order these from you but saw last night the rears are out of stock. Any idea on restock timeframe?
I'd be happy to look up an ETA for you, but which struts/shocks are you looking at? I didn't notice a brand name in this thread, unless I missed it.

Let me know and I'll get back to you ASAP!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
I find that 1 hour number very hard to believe.
There was 2 of them, so it went by pretty quick.

2012 Sterling Gray V6
Steeda Ultralite* Tokico Spec D* Steeda HD Mounts
MRT Interceptor Mufflers

To relax, some people love to meditate. Some love yoga. Some listen to soothing music. I relax by hearing the roaring sound of my mustang carving through a curvy canyon road, inhaling fresh air, steering with sweaty palms, looking in the rear view mirror for cops, and speeding with a grin on my face.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
I'd be happy to look up an ETA for you, but which struts/shocks are you looking at? I didn't notice a brand name in this thread, unless I missed it.

Let me know and I'll get back to you ASAP!

Shane
Whoops. Yeah I thought I put it in my OP.

Koni str front/ rear. Rears show as out of stock

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything but Im a car dumnazz and it seems related... I know basic stuff but not a ton like most of the people here (thats why I come here) Anyway, I just gave up an 06 Saleen for my new 11 which I absolutely am in LOVE with. I would like to get better handling (without the stiff bumpy ride) as close to the Saleen as possible.... What parts would I need? Springs, caster camber blah blah blah? whats the best?

2011 Yellow Blaze GT Premium / Boss Intake Manifold/ BBK 85MM Throttle Body / 3.73 gears / BBK ceramic coated Long Tube headers / Catted X pipe / Roush Axle Backs / JLT CAI
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadkarr View Post
There was 2 of them, so it went by pretty quick.

Oh, ok - that makes sense now. Still a pretty quick job though.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page