Quote for shock / strut install. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote for shock / strut install.

I got a $400 estimate. Is that a reasonable price? I didn't realize it is a 4+ hour job for a shop.

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA2011 View Post
I got a $400 estimate. Is that a reasonable price? I didn't realize it is a 4+ hour job for a shop.
HELL no. Once the car is on a lift, shocks will take about 20 minutes, struts are a little longer because of the springs, maybe half an hour.

Probably 1.5hr if the tech knows what he's doing, 2hr if they're reading the manual.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014
Apprentice

Agree its an easy install however shops charge somewhere around 4-6 hrs typically. If you have a driveway, jack and some jack stands the install is really easy. I just did my 06 GT, full suspension pkg (shocks, struts, springs, sway bars, etc) in the driveway, took about 7 hrs (had to remove the convertible frame bracing. It really is quite simple. Then go get an alignment. Best of luck.

AirRaid CAI, FRPP lca's, Sequential tails, BBK headers & catted x-pipe, Hot Rod Cams, FRPP axle-backs, MGW shifter, 20" bullets, Bama Tune, Eibach Pro Susp Pkg.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014
PONY Member

That's not a 4 hour job, but it is what they will charge lol

MY RIDES
2013 Performance White GT Premium: Tune, CAI, Flowmasters
1970 Mustang 351 Cleveland: MANY mods and improvements
2012 Ford Focus: Rims, Steeda CAI & Tune, Steeda Pro Springs, Steeda Front & Rear Swaybar, Steeda Rear Toe End Link, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014
MACH I Member

Labor at the dealer is $180 an hour, and most decent shops aren't a whole lot less expensive. So your answer really depends on the area you live, I'd say that is a good price based on labor charges I see in San Diego.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

+1 on doing it youself. I did my springs a few weeks ago with a buddy. It's not hard. An impact driver makes it tons faster.

2013 GT premium GHIG. 6MT. Black int. Brembos. Corsa Sports. Jlt intake. SR Springs. BMR panhard. Pilot Super Sports
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014
Apprentice

That's pretty high. I had springs, shocks, struts, GT500 mounts, and a panhard bar installed for less than you were quoted.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Hmm. The same shop did my gears for $400 (and did a great job) which I know is reasonable. Maybe he was including the alignment. I only got a quick quote with him via a text msg. I'll have to check back and clarify. Thanks all

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014
Apprentice

Most shops here around Omaha charge $500ish. Shocks are super easy, just make sure they are torqued down appropriately and a friend would be helpful to keep it from spinning. Struts aren't that bad either; just swapped mine Thursday. I did my install in the garage; shocks took about 20 minutes and struts about three hours. I don't have a spring compressor though and have never done it, so I just took it to a friend at the dealership and got them swapped to the new struts for free. Even if a shop charges you to swap the springs, it shouldn't be much because it only takes them about 15-20 minutes. Save yourself the money and learn in the process. Here is a good guide that I used:

How to install Lowering Springs on your 2011-2013 Mustang

2013 GHIG Mustang GT Premium (Delivered 10/9/12)
Airaid Race CAI, Boss IM, Kooks 1 7/8" LTs, Kooks catted Boss H-pipe, Boss QTP exhaust cutouts, Borla S-type axle back, AED E85 tune, Steeda upper/lower control arms, Steeda bumpsteer kit, Ford Racing sway bars, Eibach lowering springs, Ford Racing adjustable shocks & struts, DSS one-piece aluminum driveshaft, FR 4.10 gears, 18"x9"/10" AMR wheels, Nitto NT05R 305 drag radials, Cervini's hood, Roush grilles, California Special fog lights
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA2011 View Post
Sounds about right if the alignment is included. I got around the same quotes from a couple different shops in the Los Angeles area before I moved.

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
GT Member

I have a great relationship w/ the shop that did mine and they have done exhaust work on probably 4 of my cars, and any work that I cannot do myself or don't know how (brakes etc which I want to learn ASAP). I was shocked when I got my bill. It was $175.00 total. $100 for labor and $75 for alignment. The mechanic told me straight up this was an easy job for him and took just over an hour for the install and that's it. I was super happy about it but I don't think that's the norm. OP if I were you I'd check around for at least 3 quotes.

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choate View Post
I have a great relationship w/ the shop that did mine and they have done exhaust work on probably 4 of my cars, and any work that I cannot do myself or don't know how (brakes etc which I want to learn ASAP). I was shocked when I got my bill. It was $175.00 total. $100 for labor and $75 for alignment. The mechanic told me straight up this was an easy job for him and took just over an hour for the install and that's it. I was super happy about it but I don't think that's the norm. OP if I were you I'd check around for at least 3 quotes.
+1 I agree with choate

MY RIDES
2013 Performance White GT Premium: Tune, CAI, Flowmasters
1970 Mustang 351 Cleveland: MANY mods and improvements
2012 Ford Focus: Rims, Steeda CAI & Tune, Steeda Pro Springs, Steeda Front & Rear Swaybar, Steeda Rear Toe End Link, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
PONY Member

OP,

How about you go to the ATM, take out $400 and lay the cash in front of you on a table. Now you have two options:

I.) pay the shop $400 for labor.

II.) take about $250 of that and buy some tools (assuming you don't have any in the first place) that will allow you to do this job yourself (its really pretty straightforward and anyone that has ever pulled off a wheel or changed oil can do this without a whole lot of heartache)

The best thing about option II is that now you have the tools to help you do other tasks in the future. So its not really a cost, its an investment.

... or you can pay a shop hundreds of dollars to do something you can do in your own driveway in an afternoon. Up to you.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
OP,

How about you go to the ATM, take out $400 and lay the cash in front of you on a table. Now you have two options:

I.) pay the shop $400 for labor.

II.) take about $250 of that and buy some tools (assuming you don't have any in the first place) that will allow you to do this job yourself (its really pretty straightforward and anyone that has ever pulled off a wheel or changed oil can do this without a whole lot of heartache)

The best thing about option II is that now you have the tools to help you do other tasks in the future. So its not really a cost, its an investment.

... or you can pay a shop hundreds of dollars to do something you can do in your own driveway in an afternoon. Up to you.
III. I'm 51 years old, well aware what $400 looks like, married with a wife and 5 kids and LOTS of other stuff to keep me busy besides learning to do something and buying toos for a task I will likely never do again.

I am aware I have the option to do the job myself and if I wanted to, I wouldn't have asked about the quoted price. I'd rather pay someone else and have the day for other stuff.

I'm not sure why some here need to be all high and mighty on DIY and condescending towards those of us who choose to pay others to do certain jobs on our cars.

</rant>

MACH I Member

Agreed. If I had a lift (or access to one), pneumatic wrench, etc. things would be different. I don't. I do basic maintenance, & mods, and leave it at that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page