Ford Mustang Forum banner

How long does the clutch last?

11K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Fatopotomus 
#1 ·
Not having had a stick shift car since 2001, I've been out of the loop regarding clutch longevity. Given there are many variables to how long our clutches will last, I'm wondering what to expect; I don't street race, go to the track, or abuse my clutch in any way I can think of. Of course I do like a nice launch and exploring the tremendous power these engines make, but in general, what can I expect?
TIA for any replies.

#2 ·
A clutch disk can easily last for years during normal use. Shortened quickly by poor driving habits and racing. Ultimately your pressure plate should go out first as a sign that the clutch disk has been properly cared for. Hope this helps and good luck!

Reactions: kenv
#4 ·
Someone posted that starting in second gear instead of first will wear the clutch faster. Any truth to that?

#6 ·
A very open ended question. As has been said, clutch life is dependant upon driving style, and power output. With a relatively stock set up, a factory clutch should remain In tact for many thousands of trouble free miles , providing you "treat it right."
If and when you decide to enter into a higher horse power environment ie supercharging, the stock clutch which was engineered for reasonable longativity within "stock" parameters will become rather redundant, very quickly. :smartass:

#9 ·
Everything above.

Clutches are like brakes. some people go 20-30K miles and need new ones and other folks go 150K+ miles and are still fine. If you drive well (notice, I said well not necessarily gentle-ly) your clutch will likely last you many many years and many many miles.

#7 ·
And whatever you do, don't be that guy holding his car in place on a hill by slipping his clutch. Just like riding the brakes while driving down the road, this is murder on your friction material.

Clutches don't wear with the pedal depressed. Or full released. They are wearing when the friction material is slipping against the flywheel face. In other words, any time your clutch is at the point where it is partially released and you're easing the vehicle forward before releasing it to fully put the car into first gear and drive off.

Put the car in neutral or hold the pedal down, and use the damn brakes to hold still on hills.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.